Ping TexasToby on Tablitas

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Ping TexasToby on Tablitas

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 21, 2012 1:16 pm

This achiote stuff is evidently from the Yucatan. I I saw a show, Mexican Made Easy on the food network in which the hostess/chef made a marinade of Achiote paste
She juiced 4 large oranges and added a little bit of lime juice to end up with a pint of liquid.
Then she chopped a white onion and sweated it in a tbsp of oil. Then added two chopped garlic cloves and 1/2 brick of Achiote Paste. She then added the orange-lime juice plus 1/2 up non-sweetened pineapple juice and brought to a boil. Removed from the heat and cooled. Then ran it all through a blender.
The marinade is done.

Another recipe from the Yacatan, This from Rick Bayless - Mexico one plate at a time:
5 tablespoons(about 2 ounces) achiote seeds 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano, preferably Mexican
1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper, preferably whole peppercorns
1 1/4 teaspoons cumin, preferably whole seeds
1/2 teaspoon cloves, preferably whole
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon, preferably Mexican canela, that’s freshly ground or still in stick form (you’ll need about 6 inches of 1/2-inch diameter cinnamon stick)
Salt
14 large garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups fresh sour orange juice
OR 1 cup fresh lime juice plus 1/2 cup fresh orange juice

1. The achiote marinade. Measure the achiote seeds and oregano into a spice grinder, adding the black pepper, cumin, cloves and cinnamon, and run the grinder until everything’s as powdery as you can get it (you may need to work in batches).

In a blender, combine the ground mixture with 1 tablespoon salt, the garlic and sour orange juice (or lime juice plus orange juice). Blend until smooth—there should be very little grittiness when a little is rubbed between your fingers.

If you’re working ahead, pour the mixture into a non-aluminum container, cover, refrigerate 6 hours or longer. Before using, blend the mixture again to give it an even smoother texture. (The long steeping and second blending isn’t absolutely essential, though without it the marinade may be a little gritty.)

2. Marinating the meat. In a large bowl or large plastic food bag combine meat and marinade, turning the meat to coat it evenly. (Though achiote has tenacious coloring properties, I suggest you do this quickly with your hands.) For the greatest penetration of flavor, let the meat marinate refrigerated (covered if in a bowl) for several hours, or even overnight.

Are either of these two close to what you were describing the Tablitas Marinade to be? These are "pork" marinades but I don't see why you couldn't use them on cross cut beef ribs.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Re: Pint TexasToby on Tablitas

Postby tex_toby » Mon May 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Looks like it could be good, nonetheless! :) La Michoacana marinates everything in this stuff - Pork, Beef, Chicken, unidentified animal parts, etc.... :lol: It makes everything better!

tex :texas:
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Ping TexasToby on Tablitas

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon May 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Yet another Yucatan recipe I saw on TV for hot sauce. It was a "secret" recipe, quanities not given and the "blender" was monster sized. They used a 1/2 gallon of vinegar.

Ingredients:
nearly a blender full of Habanara peppers.
1 whole onion -on the small side since the tv show had a huge one to match the super blender.
1 bulb of garlic -again on the small side.
bunch of Cilantro
Cider Vinegar (?, it looked amber)
Water

Set up a fire. put onion and garlic bulbs on coals, habs on grate. Grill for 15 minutes -had should have black marks on em. Remove all.

Habs go in blender, quarter the onion and toss in blender. Separate out garlic cloves and add to blender. Add some Cilantro (hard to tell how much but maybe a cup of fresh?). Add vinegar to blend to raise to 3/4 level. Add water to raise to 7/8 full and let her rip. Hot sauce should be chunky. Add a liberal amount of salt. Ta Da.

Just waiting for the price of habs to come off the $5.00/pound mark.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”