Eric's Personal BBQ Sauce

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

mc_escher USER_AVATAR
MC_Escher
Pilgrim

Eric's Personal BBQ Sauce

Postby MC_Escher » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:37 pm

OK, full disclosure... I didn't develop this recipe; it was given to me many years ago.
I have experimented with it a bit, but mostly it's a good, basic, "can't go wrong" sauce.
Allegedly, the sauce was originally mixed by one Jefferson Davis Jackson, who was the wagon driver, cook and general assistant of Dr Eugene Allen Smith; who is actually a minor historical figure from Alabama. I can't really speak to that, it's just the story I got with the recipe.

It's not a unique sauce, being Ketchup & Vinegar based. BUT! It seems to have just the right blend of spicy/tangy/sweet that it ends up making most crowds happy.

I think of it as a "Utility" sauce. Just like a 1911, you can always count on it to get the job done. Use it as a mopping sauce or spoon it right onto the meat while it cooks. I even use it as an overnight marinade.

I've specified some brand names here, even though the original recipe didn't. I just like quality.

Also, the 1st quantity list gives a little over 2 gallons. The second gives about 1/2 gallon.

WET INGREDIENTS:
Heinz Ketchup ............................................... 1 gallon ................ 46 oz
Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar ............................... 3 quarts ............... 1 quart
Prepared (Yellow) Mustard ............................... 1 cup .................. 1/3 cup
Louisiana Hot Sauce ....................................... 6 oz ..................... 3 oz
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce ................... 8 oz ..................... 4 oz

DRY INGREDIENTS:
Ground Red Pepper ......................................... 1 oz ..................... 1 tbsp
Ground Black Pepper ....................................... 1 oz ..................... 1 tbsp+
Morton's Salt ............................................... 1/2 cup .................. 1/8 cup
Diamond Sugar ............................................... 1 cup ................... 1/3 cup

FINISH INGREDIENTS:
Juice of "X" number of medium Lemons ................ 8-10 ...................... 4-5
Margarine .................................................... 1 pound ................. 1/3 pound
Note: You can substitute RealLemon lemon juice if you don't feel like squeezing actual lemons. Also, it's a good idea to slice up the margarine so that it'll melt easier.

Get a pot big enough to hold the ketchup and vinegar with at least a few inches of spare room to the rim. If you don't use a big enough pot you can't get a good stir without making a bigger mess than you'd planned; and you don't have much safety room if the sugar makes it try to boil over.

Combine all the wet ingredients in the pot and begin stirring over a medium-high heat until it starts blending up nicely and producing enough vinegar steam to make you take a half-step back.

Dump in the dry ingredients and keep stirring until you get a boil that you can't stir down. Turn off the flame and keep stirring until it's been a minute since you saw the last bubble.

Now dump in the finish ingredients and start stirring again. Once the margarine seems to be mostly melted, turn the heat on again and keep cooking and stirring until you again get a boil you can't stir down.

Remove from heat. You're done.
Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats.

I'm the Colonial Revolutionary your hippy friends warned you about.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Eric's Personal BBQ Sauce

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:15 pm

Man, that's a lot of sauce but with a name like Jefferson Davis Jackson, it's got to be worth trying - - - - I'll do the math and cut it to a 1/4 quanity just in case it doesn't make me want to "skin mules" (a poor wagon driver joke, I know)

Thanks for sharing,
OUP
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:40 pm

OUP if you look to the right it is already done

WET INGREDIENTS:
Heinz Ketchup ............................................... 1 gallon ................ 46 oz
Heinz Apple Cider Vinegar ............................... 3 quarts ............... 1 quart
Prepared (Yellow) Mustard ............................... 1 cup .................. 1/3 cup
Louisiana Hot Sauce ....................................... 6 oz ..................... 3 oz
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce ................... 8 oz ..................... 4 oz

DRY INGREDIENTS:
Ground Red Pepper ......................................... 1 oz ..................... 1 tbsp
Ground Black Pepper ....................................... 1 oz ..................... 1 tbsp+
Morton's Salt ............................................... 1/2 cup .................. 1/8 cup
Diamond Sugar ............................................... 1 cup ................... 1/3 cup

FINISH INGREDIENTS:
Juice of "X" number of medium Lemons ................ 8-10 ...................... 4-5
Margarine .................................................... 1 pound ................. 1/3 pound
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:45 pm

"Oops" - - - I gotta get me some Dollar Store specks !
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:39 am

OldUsedParts wrote:"Oops" - - - I gotta get me some Dollar Store specks !

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: once ya hit 40 the eyes are the first thing to go
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
mc_escher USER_AVATAR
MC_Escher
Pilgrim

Postby MC_Escher » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:40 am

BluDawg wrote: once ya hit 40 the eyes are the first thing to go

Eh? What's that you say? :wink:
Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats.

I'm the Colonial Revolutionary your hippy friends warned you about.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:45 am

BluDawg wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:"Oops" - - - I gotta get me some Dollar Store specks !

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: once ya hit 40 the eyes are the first thing to go

Pretty much - - - about 6 years ago I was in trifocals and had a lens implant and
I didn't need glasses after that - - UNTIL recently - - - so I guess I"m due for another Visit ?

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”