Basic Brine for Poultry

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Basic Brine for Poultry

Postby DaHorns » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:48 pm

I have recently found a "basic brine" that I use for my chicken. I do have a question for you all though. I use the following:

1 Gallon water
1 Cup Salt
1 Cup Brown Sugar (packed)
2 Tbsp Thyme
6-8 liberal dashes of Tabasco

I put all of this in a pot and bring it to a rolling boil for about 15 minutes. I then allow it to cool to room temperature then put it in a 2.5 gallon ziploc. I then add about another 1/2 gallon water to thin the mixture. I then cool it down in the fridge/cooler for 2-3 hours then add the chickens for about 6-8 hours. After that time I bring them out of the brine, give them a pat dry and then add my "chicken rub/seasoning", then onto the smoker they go. This stuff makes some good chicken, just unsure about the amount of salt.

My question is this:

Is that too much salt? I figured it would disolve but there is always some left in the bottom of the bag. Can water only disolve so much salt?
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:14 pm

I guess you could get too much salt but, 1 cup to a gallon is usually the minimum used. What type of salt are you using? this makes a very big difference. :D
Here is a link that is packed with info for brining. One of the best on brining. :D It addresses what you are asking. :D

http://www.cookshack.com/barbeque_guide ... ing101.htm
Jim
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:15 pm

Kosher salt
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:21 pm

That's what I use for most everything. :D It sounds like a good mixture that would add a good taste to me. :D :D
Jim
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:26 pm

Its good for sure. I made some up today for the Llano cookoff, for my turn in chickens, and personal chickens too....... :wink:
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:53 pm

looks like a good brine DaHorns......is it necessary to boil it all first???
bigwheel
Outlaw

Re: Basic Brine for Poultry

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:28 pm

No...actually that aint enough salt once you add that extry water. A general "weak" brine is considered to be a cup o salt per gallon of water. Now this be with regular old salt...so kosher gonna require a bit mo since it tends to be lighter and fluffier. Hopefully this be accompanied by a similar amount of sugary type products to balance out the salt. If a person falls behind the 1 cup per gallon rule..they aint actually brining..that is doing a salt water soak. I would try it without adding the extra water. Course if you like it the way it is...far be it for me to say change it:) Not sure whut that is in the bottom of your bag..but nearly assure you it aint salt. Prob the leavings of the thyme and the additives to the other stuff..or you might have crappy water. Up in Vernon if you put ice cubes in a glass of water and let it melt...it look like toilet paper floating around in there. Mighty try some cheap bottled water. I even vote for the distilled water. It only .79 a gallon at Market Street. Much healthier to drink too.

bigwheel

DaHorns wrote:I have recently found a "basic brine" that I use for my chicken. I do have a question for you all though. I use the following:

1 Gallon water
1 Cup Salt
1 Cup Brown Sugar (packed)
2 Tbsp Thyme
6-8 liberal dashes of Tabasco

I put all of this in a pot and bring it to a rolling boil for about 15 minutes. I then allow it to cool to room temperature then put it in a 2.5 gallon ziploc. I then add about another 1/2 gallon water to thin the mixture. I then cool it down in the fridge/cooler for 2-3 hours then add the chickens for about 6-8 hours. After that time I bring them out of the brine, give them a pat dry and then add my "chicken rub/seasoning", then onto the smoker they go. This stuff makes some good chicken, just unsure about the amount of salt.

My question is this:

Is that too much salt? I figured it would disolve but there is always some left in the bottom of the bag. Can water only disolve so much salt?

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”