Basic Rub

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Basic Rub

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:41 pm

Some member's have asked about making rubs. Now a rub is a personal thing, like sleeping with your horse :lol: Not many will part with the "secret formula". Well, I must be getting soft of miss my horse or something.

This was the first rub I came up with for butts. Tinker with it. Add something you like, take out what you don't.

Hint: I got rid of the green stuff

1/3 cup Kosher Salt.
3 Tablespoons fresh course ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon Sweet Paprika
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1.5 Tablespoon Granulated Onion (not powder)
1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic (not powder)
1 Tablespoon dried Parsley
0.5 Tablespoon dried Oregano

I rub my butts the night before and wrap in plastic wrap and stick in the fridge. Early in the AM, I fire up Einstein and let her go until I get to 200* internal (about 12 - 13 hours at 250).

Fresh Ground Pepper is important, but it you don't have a grinder....buy one, they are cheap!

Ideas for other spices to use:
Chipotle powder
Cayenne pepper
cinnamon
All spice
Hey, what ever floats your boat. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Here is a basic recipe I posted in reply to a question in another thread. Like Dats said, tinker with it and see what ya come up with.

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
LOW-n-SLOW
Pilgrim

Postby LOW-n-SLOW » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:04 am

Thanks for posting those recipes guys. I am still way inexperienced when it comes to lots of this stuff and I for one qppreciate the fact you guys would share your rub recipes with everyone. Sure gives me somethin to work with now instead of throwin a bunch of stuff together and guessin. Now I will have a base that I can just tweak.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:12 am

OSD wrote:I think most rubs use mostly the same spices, just the quantity of each varies to taste and each persons tastes. When I mix rubs I don't use any sugar or salt. I like to salt as I need for each type of meat I cook. Example brined meat needs less salt. Only time I add sugar is when I do Ribs. I like the slight sweet taste on them.

Good point OSD 8) Poultry and fish are the only meats I brine. I've developed different rubs for beef, pork ribs, butts, chicken and once in a while fish. Different amounts of salt in each.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”