Basting Oil

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Basting Oil

Postby ChileFarmer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:48 pm

Basting Oil
MAKES about 1/2 cup ACTIVE TIME: 5 min TOTAL TIME: 5 min
1/2 cup Pure Olive Oil
1 large clove Food You Feel Good About Peeled Garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped

For Chicken and pork chops. Or what ever.
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Re: Basting Oil

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:44 pm

Sounds like a winner Bill, that just might be good on bruschetta too!
tarde venientibus ossa....
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Postby limey » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:32 pm

Thanks CF, gonna try out.
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:11 am

Bill,
This can get a tad confusing, but by "pure" olive oil are you referring to a blend of "virgin" and "refined" ?

With all the Celeb Chefs yakking about EVOO, a lot of folks don't know the different grades. From Wikipedia (I know, not always the gospel but good enough for this post)
* Extra-virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, contains no more than 0.8% acidity, and is judged to have a superior taste. Extra Virgin olive oil accounts for less than 10% of oil in many producing countries. It is used on salads, added at the table to soups and stews and for dipping.
* Virgin olive oil comes from virgin oil production only, has an acidity less than 2%, and is judged to have a good taste.
* Pure olive oil. Oils labeled as Pure olive oil or Olive oil are usually a blend of refined and virgin production oil.
* Olive oil is a blend of virgin and refined production oil, of no more than 1.5% acidity. It commonly lacks a strong flavor.
* Olive-pomace oil is refined pomace olive production oil possibly blended with some virgin production oil. It is fit for consumption, but may not be described simply as olive oil. Olive-pomace oil is rarely sold at retail; it is often used for certain kinds of cooking in restaurants.
* Lampante oil is olive oil not suitable as food; lampante comes from olive oil's long-standing use in oil-burning lamps. Lampante oil is mostly used in the industrial market.
* Refined olive oil is the olive oil obtained from virgin olive oils by refining methods that do not lead to alterations in the initial glyceridic structure. It has a free acidity, expressed as oleic acid, of not more than 0.3 grams per 100 grams (0.3%) and its other characteristics correspond to those fixed for this category in this standard. This is obtained by refining virgin olive oils with a high acidity level and/or organoleptic defects that are eliminated after refining. Over 50% of the oil produced in the Mediterranean area is of such poor quality that it must be refined to produce an edible product. Note that no solvents have been used to extract the oil but it has been refined with the use of charcoal and other chemical and physical filters. An obsolete equivalent is "pure olive oil".

BTW, I saw a big jug of mustard oil at the Asian Market for less than $10 buck. I never used the stuff before but it intrigues me.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:11 am

Dave I wanted to use the Wegman's basting oil. It the one that Tex used on his chicken that looked so good. Anyway no Wegman's here. I found this recipe, Wegman's look a like. On the net. Tried it and it was good. The olive oil that I used was just virgin olive oil.
Mustard oil is interesting, I haven't use any but would like to try a small taste. (might be real good) CF :D
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
kenny 13 USER_AVATAR
Kenny 13
Outlaw

Postby Kenny 13 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:21 am

Sounds like a good baste CF. That mustard oil sounds interesting as well. Could be worth a try.
Large Big Green Egg
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

What's On The Grill?
tex_toby USER_AVATAR
tex_toby
Deputy

Postby tex_toby » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:22 pm

I'll have to give it a try, CF. The Wegman's oil is a blend of Grapeseed Oil & Canola Oil. I can tell you that many oils you buy on the shelves are not necessarily what you think they are. You may be buying "EVOO," but it's not uncommon for bottlers to blend with lesser quality (cheaper) oils to make more profit. Moral - no, Reality - yes...
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Custom Mobile Stick Burner
Summerset TRL 32" Built-In Grill
Weber Q2200
48" Custom Firepit
Bertello Pizza Oven

I can't always please everybody. I'm not bacon.
s.o.l. bbq USER_AVATAR
S.O.L. BBQ
Cowboy

Postby S.O.L. BBQ » Mon May 03, 2010 4:13 pm

Going to give it a try
newbq USER_AVATAR
NewBQ
Outlaw

Postby NewBQ » Tue May 04, 2010 12:57 am

Thanks for sharing CF!