Source for spices

Anything added to the meat to make it mo better.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

TXCajun
Wrangler

Source for spices

Postby TXCajun » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:21 pm

I've been wanting to experiment with developing my own dry rub since for health reasons I'm trying to cut back on salt and sugar. So, I have a couple of questions if you'll humor me:

First, for those of you who mix your own rubs; where do you buy your spices. I can buy some in larger quantities at the store, but things like paprika and mustard powder seem to only be available in smaller containers.

Second, I have always been under the impression that salt pulls moisture out of meat. However, most commercial rubs are very heavy on the salt. So, if I limit the amount of salt I have in my rub, how will that effect the final product?

Many thanks,
Stew
burnt food dude USER_AVATAR
Burnt Food Dude
Bandolero

Re: Source for spices

Postby Burnt Food Dude » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:33 pm

I've got some good stuff from http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/ ... nings.html

They throw in something extra for free.
"All who wander are not lost.

Sometimes they just can't remember where they parked their car
."

Da Dude's new blog
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:17 pm

The best place for spices is www.penderys.com where all mine come from..
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:31 pm

Penderys is good for spices been in business forever. Salt will draw out some moisture this is true, but salt is a real flavor enhancer. Think of it as the rock( no pun intended but I'll claim it) that the foundation is set on when you are building a flavor profile. It can make savory food more savory & it can also enhance sweetness, read the directions on a can of Hershey's cocoa for hot chocolate. It calls for 1/8 tsp salt. One of the reasons that the salt content is so high on commercial rubs is to try and coax the flavors in the rub into the meat in the same way that a brine or a cure works. The salt will cause the moisture in the brisket to come to the surface and allow the rub to become moist as the salt continues to pull the moisture it allows the rub to be carried into the surface of the piece of meat in question.This is a good thing. If you think of how big of a piece of meat that you are dealing with the amount of salt in the rub isn't much. However if we are talking about Steaks, or chops, ribs ect. then that is more salt than I want anywhere near those cuts. In fact I cook my steaks completely naked( not me the steak) .When it hits the plate I hit it with a little sea salt & a Pat of roasted garlic butter and I dare you to find a more flavor full one. Hope this helps guide you on your journey. By the way the Splenda brands work well in rubs and sauces.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:36 pm

http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
2rowdy USER_AVATAR
2rowdy
Rustler

Postby 2rowdy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:53 am

I buy alot of my spices from the cains coffee guy.
TXCajun
Wrangler

Postby TXCajun » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Thanks for the input on the spices. I'm checking them out and I like what I see. Thanks, Craig, for in point about the salt. I guess moderation and balance is the key.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:19 am

Some herbs will lend a sweetness to you rubs. Basil, Thyme and Savory come to mind straight away. Using Sweet Paprika might help too. You may also want to sub Kosher for table salt, less salt (by weight) per dry measure that way. Most of my rubs are sugar free. I like 'em just fine.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:31 am

i saved this thread when it was new, as I cook more and more for others, my rub has become cumbersome, seems that I'm always running low.

these sights don't seem to save me much,,, but sure is nice to find a place the average Joe can buy a pound of chili powder... Price per is "that much cheaper" but very easy.

thanks.

no if someone could suggest a packer, who will work with Joe blow.
if your look'n... you aint cook'n

http://www.meatinthemiddle.com
Qshack
Wrangler

Postby Qshack » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:20 pm

Penzey's has a great selection and bulk. http://www.penzeys.com/

Cheers
United, I stand alone against collectivism.

Cheapie off-set (3rd rustin out NB Smoker)
Hole in the ground, AKA "The pit"
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:19 pm

CJATE wrote:i saved this thread when it was new, as I cook more and more for others, my rub has become cumbersome, seems that I'm always running low.

these sights don't seem to save me much,,, but sure is nice to find a place the average Joe can buy a pound of chili powder... Price per is "that much cheaper" but very easy.

thanks.

no if someone could suggest a packer, who will work with Joe blow.

Call Clint at Penderys.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:44 am

so i went to make my first order, and it seems very very expensive. I've never bought just my rub at the store, i kept my last receipt, but my wife tossed it, google can't help me get my local prices, but i bet you guys can answer this question.

is penderys LOTS more expensive then buying locally? I'm quite sure they are better and fresher, and some that i can't get locally, but for the stuff that i can, this seems way high.

am i out of line w/ sticker shock, or is this quite a bit higher?

edit: i looked at my bank account and found my charge for when i bought rub, it was 1/3 the cost at HEB.

BigDave
Bandolero

Postby BigDave » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:00 pm

http://www.atlanticspice.com/ is one of the cheapest places. However, I believe you are comparing apples to oranges so to speak.

"Rub" have small amounts of many spices and usually include sugar and salt which is cheap. When you buy a pound of spice it is just that one spice but it most likely will provide that spice ingredient for many "batches" of rubs. Price a small bottle, 2 to 4 oz of spice at a grocery store for $4 or better and convert that individual spice to a cost per pound.

You will quickly see buying spices in 1 pound bags or larger is the most cost effective way to purchase spices if you are going to use quite a bit of the spices. I typically buy from Pendery's.

Atlantic Spice packages their spices in poly bags and you will need to re-package them to jars or spice proof bags. they supply most restaurants on the upper east Coast.
cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:48 pm

nope, i'm apples and apples.

there are 8 spices in my rub, cost me $20 at HEB cost $63 at Pendery's. and that's matching quantities as close as i can (2 oz of this, 8 oz of that). I don't need 1 lb of some of these spices, but I'll price it out that way, i do hope your right, as i want to make big batches, i just thought i'd compare price starting with apples and apples, was kinda taken back.

I'm sure they are fresher.

I'm still going to see how much for them to mix before then send it to me.

if you boys can confirm they are not "that" much more then HEB, i'll look deeper to see how i messed up my pricing, has anyone done a price comparison?

cjate USER_AVATAR
CJATE
Cowboy

Postby CJATE » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:19 pm

i stand corrected. :oops: I took my smallest quantity (2 oz) into 1 lb.

bumped all my ingredients by x8, to get close to that, but I'm off 1/2 lbs hear and 1/3rd pound there.

final result: the recipe after tax and shipping is only $8 more then i pay local, and it's bulk, witches is what i wanted.

hope no one lost sleep over my confusion.
Carry on. :wink:

Return to “Rubs, Spices, Sauces, Mops and Marinades”