famous daves bbq

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

wtf6316
Pilgrim

famous daves bbq

Postby wtf6316 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:25 am

The first time I ate at one was in Ft Knox. I just graduated Basic and AIT as a Cavalry Scout. I actually made my self sick from not having good food for 16 weeks. I couldnt stop. For chain BBQ this is the best I have ever had. I happened to find one in El Paso and it was the same awesome. Then found the new one in Amarillo. Still awesome. The pulled pork is great and the ribs fall off the bone. I havent had anything bad there yet. I will be in Abilene in two weeks and there is one there so I will see if it is the same. I hate there isnt on in the DFW Area.
danger831 USER_AVATAR
danger831
Rustler

Re: famous daves bbq

Postby danger831 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:15 pm

haven't been to eat at the joint but did pick up a jar of the pickle chips last week at target. THEY ARE GONE ate all of them then resisted the urge to drink the juice instead I drained and rinsed all the other pickles in my refrigerator and put them in the juice to marinade for a few days. Then I went to the store and bought another jar its half gone.

http://www.famousbbqstore.com/pickles1.html
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Slow on my comments for this thread. My only experience is with the Famous Dave's BBQ sauces which our local Kroger has begun to stock. Now, let me first say that I am not a sauce head. I think sauce is something best served in a glass and sipped slowly as the smoke rolls across the backyard. :mrgreen:
But, I do use it when I'm putting together a pan of baked beans and every now and then I'll use it as dip or mix it up for a chopped beef or pulled pork sammy.

Famous Dave's has several sauces on the market but my flavorite one is the Apricot-Bourbon. It is sweet, but spicy and has a fine balance of apricot to bourbon that comes in at the end. I really don't care for a sweet sauce of any kind and I do not eat apricots, ever, so this one surprised me. It's not for everyone and like most sauces I think it should be used in moderation. But for off the shelf to your plate or pot....this one works pretty darn good.

I don't think this one would work as a mopping sauce, too sweet. But it might work for a final glaze (again, if you can tolerate the sweet). I just keep it handy as an ingredient to blend in with other goodies or as a table top condiment.
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
meat USER_AVATAR
MEAT
Rustler

Postby MEAT » Sat May 05, 2012 9:39 am

I know this is an old thread but a Famous Dave's eatery just moved into the neighborhood.
And I had to give it a try because BBQ is so scarce in my neck of the woods.
First impression "uh oh, five bottles of sauce...they must be covering something up?"
Yeah they were...bad food.
Tough no flavored ribs and dry brisket.
I'm guessing the ribs were boiled first (hmm could make for an interesting thread?)
Chain BBQ restaurant...I should of known better.
20"x30" custom made pit/smoker by JJ
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat May 05, 2012 12:45 pm

wtf6316 wrote:The first time I ate at one was in Ft Knox. I just graduated Basic and AIT as a Cavalry Scout. I actually made my self sick from not having good food for 16 weeks. I couldnt stop. For chain BBQ this is the best I have ever had. I happened to find one in El Paso and it was the same awesome. Then found the new one in Amarillo. Still awesome. The pulled pork is great and the ribs fall off the bone. I havent had anything bad there yet. I will be in Abilene in two weeks and there is one there so I will see if it is the same. I hate there isnt on in the DFW Area.
I would have set those back! If the meat is falling off the bones it over cooked.

know this is an old thread but a Famous Dave's eatery just moved into the neighborhood.
First impression "uh oh, five bottles of sauce...they must be covering something up?"
I'm guessing the ribs were boiled first (hmm could make for an interesting thread?)
:whiteflag: To me that says run and never go back.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Sat May 05, 2012 3:49 pm

I wasn't impressed with the Famous Dave's that came to our town either. Average bbq at best and high prices.
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Thu May 10, 2012 11:29 am

Sounds like you ate at the one in Maine.......

MEAT wrote:I know this is an old thread but a Famous Dave's eatery just moved into the neighborhood.
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
cliffcarter USER_AVATAR
CliffCarter
Cowboy

Postby CliffCarter » Thu May 10, 2012 6:54 pm

DJ wrote:Sounds like you ate at the one in Maine.......

My daughter ate at the one in Maine, she was not impressed.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu May 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Crazy, is there an actual good place out there or in Buffalo Gap? My sister lives out there. Been to Perini's already, liked it.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
meat USER_AVATAR
MEAT
Rustler

Postby MEAT » Thu May 10, 2012 10:27 pm

I think that's what these big chain BBQ restaurants do...they move into area's lacking any BBQ
at all and take up shop. And most people (like where I live) have no clue what good BBQ really
tastes like. So they throw a little sweet sauce on some cooked meat and call it BBQ.
And I bet they don't even cook the meat on property...probably have it shipped in already cooked...frozen.
Depressing to say the least and a slap in the face to real BBQ.
crazyd USER_AVATAR
CrazyD
Bandolero

Postby CrazyD » Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am

Boots wrote:Crazy, is there an actual good place out there or in Buffalo Gap? My sister lives out there. Been to Perini's already, liked it.

Joe Allen's is the place of choice for me.

Al's mesquite grill is a newer place opened up in Abilene thats pretty good. Nice relaxing atmosphere.

Betty Rose's has good brisket i like.

Lytle Land & Cattle is good. They have an online menu you could check out.
Custom Offset Trailer With Pitmaker BBQ Safe
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Fri May 11, 2012 12:53 pm

You know why Dave is SOoooo famous.... His BBQ SUUUUUCKKKKKKSSSSS.
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
brandotexan USER_AVATAR
brandotexan
Wrangler

Postby brandotexan » Sat May 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Famous Dave sure makes BBQ look good! But that's about as far as it gets. Brisket is flavorless and dry, ribs are as good as the oven they are cooked in.

I worked at the one here in Columbia, MD for about 3 months. That's about all I could stand. They have interesting ways of cooking their food, but not a pit on the property. They store the cooked brisket in au jus wait to be sliced for each order. Pork is cooked off, pulled, and portioned in a bag straight to the fridge. Upon order, you take it out, microwave it and plate it up. Same thing for the ribs but they actually go over an open flame before saucing and plating.

They do have a good chicken rice soup when you toss in a corn bread muffin!
meat USER_AVATAR
MEAT
Rustler

Postby MEAT » Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 pm

The only thing good at "InFamous Daves" was the warm potato chips they serve.
RangerJ
Rustler

Postby RangerJ » Tue May 22, 2012 7:58 am

Around Feb. I was at the corporate office in Michigan. We were doing a "working lunch" where the company was bringing in the chow. They told me, "being from Texas, you should be excited, its BBQ!". When I asked about from where they said Famous Daves. Now I've eaten at most chains and know that typically its going to be mediocre at best.

Below is the brisket that was delivered. you may draw your own conclusions. I ate the Pork.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”