Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Mike Anderson's BBQ, Dallas

Postby Grillatarian » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:28 pm

Here's their link- http://www.mikeandersonsbbq.com/

Man, like the song says, it's been a hard days night and I been working like a dawg. Our corporate office has been moving and I have the unfortunate privilege of helping clear out the file cabinets, old desk, old shelves, etc. for the past two days.

Today my luck changed as I went into Dallas to make a donation of our old office debris to the Salvation Army. Seems that about a block past Inwood on Harry Hines there was a BBQ joint that had smoke rollin' out the door. Could smell it the whole time we were chunking chairs and tables onto the dock.
It was only 11:30 but the smoke said it was time to eat. Cruised on in to Mike Anderson's BBQ. Had to negotiate the trailer but found a spot and headed across their parking lot. Could see their wood stacked in the back, smelled smoke coming across the front, which already had cars filling in... it all looked good.
Inside they had a very simple and easy to read menu, lunch specials to the right, main plates to the left, combos and sides in the middle. Went for their standard dinner plate, any three meats and two sides/toast/dressings/drink for $11.
I chose the brisket, pork rib and hot links, old style BBQ beans, black-eyed pea salad. Let me say that going down the serving line and looking at the sides it was very hard to choose. Everything looks just lip smacking wonderful!
The brisket was moist, tender and had a great smoke flavor. The hot links were spicy but not overly hot. The pork ribs were the best of all.
Perfectly smoked, lightly seasoned with a great BBQ bark all over them and needed nothing but my lips! Their Q sauce is also dynamite! Their portions are generous.The sides were also perfect. I used my toast to get the rest of the sauce and I am not a big sauce head.
They even have a soft serve ice cream machine in the back, which I had absolutely no room for.
Mike Anderson's has 5 stars in my book. Anytime I find myself cruising through Dallas between the hours of 10AM and 2:30PM I WILL be paying them a visit.
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:59 am

WOW, That is an awesome review! I will have to swing by there next time I'm in town and check it out!

Thanks.

James.
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:44 am

Thanks! Will keep the place in mind next time I head down there.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
jack2u2 USER_AVATAR
JaCK2U2
Chuck Wagon

Postby JaCK2U2 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:20 pm

With a review like that, it's on my "gotta stop at" list. Thanks for the heads up!
Jack
Jr. C's BBQ
http://www.jrcsbbqandseasonings.com" target="_blank

Homemade upright drum smoker
Backwoods Party
GSW upright (now deceased)
nice gas grill
Weber 27" grill
Weber rotisserie
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:26 pm

Yes thanks for the review. I am always getting questioned about good que joints in Dallas..now I got some where to tell em to go. I been spreading the word for years that their aint no fittin bbq joints in the DFW area.

bigwheel
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:51 pm

Guys, this place blows Up In Smoke clean out the water..... that would be like smoke on the water, wait.... that's a song right? :roll:
"I don't always smoke meat, but when I do...I use a drum. Stay hungry my friends!"
tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:57 pm

I went there a while back, wasnt very impressed. it was average (but its been a while, I probably need to give em another chance). The original Sonny Bryans location is just on the other side of the Salvation Army, I bet you could throw a rock and hit it if you have a good arm. I'd rather go there just for the atmosphere, or if you just drive a mile East on Inwood, you could enjoy some Big Als.

http://www.bigalsbbq.com/
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:20 pm

The galloping gourmet restaurant reviewer could be some kinda transplanted yankee too ya know? Might not know whut good bbq supposed to taste like. :shock: Guess somebody needs to start an investigation on the matter. Just trying to cover all the bases here.

bigwheel
grillatarian USER_AVATAR
Grillatarian
Rustler

Postby Grillatarian » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:38 pm

As for myself, born in the Florence Nightingale wing (not called that anymore) of Baylor in Big D. Lived all around the Metroplex, pre-DFW airport, pre-Texas Stadium. Road my bike down Beltline road when it had sections that were still red-top, not black-top. Native Texan and native to this area. My folks live down in San Marcos, got family scattered all about east and west Texas.

I've been to several Sonny Bryan's saplings. Never had anything at the saplings that caused me to pay them a second visit. Tried several cause I know sometimes a particular site can have problems. But maybe the original has something good going on that the others can't quite capture?
It has been about 10 yrs since I sat in a school desk at Sonny's place, but the Q didn't cut it for me or my hungry friends. It was O.K., but didn't leave us with smoke colored memories of the way it was. Never will say it caint be good because some days are probably better than others.

It just has to be close to home smoked goodness and a quality piece to get a round trip ticket and a thumbs up. If its been boiled, juiced, stomped, drug off the road or otherwise abused or altered, I rejoice in the knowledge that my suffering was short and shall but serve to enhance my appreciation in days to come.

The Grillitarian Creed :
What smoke and flame hath joined together, let no sauce separate!
tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:19 am

am I the "galloping gourmet restaurant reviewer"? LOL!....i kinda like that. I dont want you guys to worry that I'm some imposter from the North country. I've eaten a ton of Q in my days, my site only represents the last few years or so, so I think my palet knows good Q when i taste it but im not perfect and neither are pit boss' or smokers. Thats what makes going to these places so much fun. I pick where to go based off of what you all say, just as much as you do me. Heck, you guys probably know more than me in a lot of cases. Just so you dont worry bout me too much, I was born and brewed in Texas! Grew up in Arlington, lived in Denton, Watauga, North Richland Hills, Dallas, and most recently Driftwood. I drive a Chevrolet pickup (go GM!), been backstage to a Willie Nelson show (multiple times), drink Lone Star Beer (out of a can).....and I have heard Doc Watson sing Columbus Stockade Blues.

I've been brainstorming on ways to get y'alls opinions incorportated into my reviews.....technology is the biggest hurdle for me, but i'd like to somehow someday make it more of a group effort.
Cowboys BBQ
Pilgrim

Postby Cowboys BBQ » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:45 pm

This is also undoubtably my favorite choice of BBQ when I go to Dallas. Mike is very consistent on his product & on a slow day he'll take the time to show you the smoker in the back and treat you like an old friend.

As a side note, Mike also helps people start up their own BBQ joints for a small fee.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”