BBQ Barn - Odessa, TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Prairie Smoke
Pilgrim

BBQ Barn - Odessa, TX

Postby Prairie Smoke » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:20 pm

I'd driven by this very small restaurant twice. It wasn't open either day, but something intrigued me. I've eaten at enough bbq restaurants to know that finding great Q is difficult. More times than not I leave disappointed. This little place in Odessa, TX had a 'shack' just outside the restaurant, about 10' x 10', with a chimney out the top and a thick steel firebox poking out the side. And there was lots of wood stacked nearby.

Today I went to Subway for lunch, with some other folks. Turns out the Subway was right next door. So I got a sub, not wanting to rock the boat and try a new place that was more than likely going to disappoint.

When I was done my sub I excused myself and ran next door to check the place out. There was smoke in the air outside. Good sign. As soon as I walked in you could smell the mesquite. Great sign. Behind the counter stood the 3 friendliest old ladies you could ever meet. Good sign.
I ordered a half bound of sliced brisket and a half pound of spares. The bill came to $8.25. I told my 'associates' that I just got a snack.

We rode back to the office and the car filled with smoke & spice flavor. There was lots of jealousy, let me tell you. I wouldn't let anyone peek because I didn't want them to know how much food I bought

I snuck into an office, shut the door, and chowed down. This was absolutely the best restaurant 'Q I've ever had. It may have been the best brisket I've ever had. I didn't even touch the sauce. The beef & ribs were lightly seasoned, but they were seasoned. Both meats were a bit on the tough side but MAN, were they loaded with flavor. Very distinct smoke flavor. The brisket was quite juicy. I was smiling. Stuffed, but smiling. The whole office smelled like smoke all afternoon. I didn't wash my fingers until 4:00 so I could keep smelling the smoke 8)
"You don't win friends with salad!"
Cooking on:
5' x 30" offset trailer pit
WSM
22.5" Weber OTG kettle
Weber smokey joe
Centro gasser (POS)
BDS clone in progress
jamesb USER_AVATAR
JamesB
Retired Lawman

Postby JamesB » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:42 pm