Babes in down town Carrollton

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Babes in down town Carrollton

Postby Gator » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:37 am

This is not a Q joint, but well worth noting as a home cooking place. We went last night, been several times, but I forgot how good these guys are...they really throw down a good meal, family style.

I had the Chicken Fried Steak and my wife had the Fried Chicken. All meals come with salad, biscuits, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans and cream style corn.

The CFS was fork cutting tender, which is my first criteria for a great CFS. It was excellent, not greasy at all. Seasoned just right. Huge portion, with doggie bags to boot.

The fried Chicken was also great. Not greasy. Crispy outside, just like it should be.

I had Fried Catfish in the past, also top notch.

Lots of entertainment in the restaurant, singing waiters...ect. Good kid place. They didn’t make me order for our 3 year old and there is enough food to share an adult’s meal. My 7 and 5 year old split one adult’s plate. Overall this is the best home cooking place I know of in the Dallas area. I think the original is over north of Ft. Worth and I hear it is even better.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:54 pm

I have been to the one in Ronoake probably 10 times and the one in Burleson twice.

Burleson has a larger selection of meats and they also have green beans, but isn't near as good as Babes in Roanoake!

I don't care much for creamed corn, but it is fantastic at Babes! Everything is great there! Highly recommend Babes, just be ready to wait an hour to eat!

A guy at work told me that the really cute blonde with the heavy accent that they showed on American Idol last week (San Antonio) actually works(ed) at Babes in Ronaoake as a waitress.
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:22 am

Well tried the Babe's in Roanoke a few years back and was slightly underwhelmed. It was ok but not worth the wait. Had the fried chicken which they cut funny so to give you a chunk of backbone where there shouldnt have been one. Tasted like regular old deep fat fried chicken to me. Not near as good as my Mama made. If you want some real home cooking try the Dixie House on Airport Frwy. Think it just East of Gators on the South side of the road. Should be located in the town of Useless..er I mean Euless. Not sure if it stilll there but they did or maybe still do have one on E. Belknap in Foat Wuth. Aint been down there in a while. Now never been there but have a pal who claims the very best CFS in the world can be found at the Arlington Steak House on Division St. In Arlington. I gotta check that one out one of these days.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:02 pm

bigwheel wrote:Well tried the Babe's in Roanoke a few years back and was slightly underwhelmed. It was ok but not worth the wait.

bigwheel wrote:Had the fried chicken which they cut funny so to give you a chunk of backbone where there shouldnt have been one. Tasted like regular old deep fat fried chicken to me. Not near as good as my Mama made. If you want some real home cooking try the Dixie House on Airport Frwy. Think it just East of Gators on the South side of the road. Should be located in the town of Useless..er I mean Euless. Not sure if it stilll there but they did or maybe still do have one on E. Belknap in Foat Wuth. Aint been down there in a while. Now never been there but have a pal who claims the very best CFS in the world can be found at the Arlington Steak House on Division St. In Arlington. I gotta check that one out one of these days.

bigwheel

There is a Dixie House or Dixie Cafe or something here in Benbrook on 377. Pass on by... Ain't worth the time to stop. I don't know what kind of meat that is they are using for CFS.

I have heard good things about the Dixie House on Belknap.

they claim the best CFS in this area is Massey's. It's pretty good, but not the best.

I like Cotton Patch in Lake Worth for CFS.
Chuck

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:19 am

Yep Masseys got a good rep and been in bizness forever seems like. Didnt realize the Cotton Patch was that good on CFS. I like their beef tips which used to be the Monday Special. Aint been there in years.

bigwheel
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:38 am

BW,

I need to try the Dixie House. I have also heard great things about that place in Arlington, need to try that one too.
Gator

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:00 pm

bigwheel wrote:Yep Masseys got a good rep and been in bizness forever seems like. Didnt realize the Cotton Patch was that good on CFS. I like their beef tips which used to be the Monday Special. Aint been there in years.

bigwheel

CFS is all I ever eat there. I think it's purty good. I tried the location in Watuaga and it wasn't near as good as Lake Worth. Granbury was inbetween.

Sounds like Cotton Patch is hit and miss on the locations.

I rememer eating at Massey's as a kid after church.
Chuck

chilibbq
Wrangler

Postby chilibbq » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:46 am

ate at Massey's about a month ago, and it was as good as ever, very good.

Cotton Patch in Burleson and Cleburne, both very good CFS, eat at one or the other, a couple of times a month.

have been meaning to try the Babe's on Burleson, but every time we go by there they are lined out the door. and just don't want to wait.
chilibbq
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:07 pm

chilibbq wrote:Cotton Patch in Burleson and Cleburne, both very good CFS, eat at one or the other, a couple of times a month.

Have you gone to http://www.cottonpatch.com and printed the coupon? Good for a free appetizer!

chilibbq wrote:have been meaning to try the Babe's on Burleson, but every time we go by there they are lined out the door. and just don't want to wait.

I wasn't really impressed with the Burleson Babes, but it sure beats the drive from Joushua to Ronoake! If you have never been to the Ronoake location, you will like Burleson. Just take a lantern to set on your table because it's dark in there! And Burleson won't let you take any veggies home in a doggie bag. Ronoake will.
Chuck

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:13 pm

Eggxactly..Babes and the Cotton Patch is the yuppie version of Texas Food. Lot of imposters out there and they do their best. Just dont quite cut the mustard so to speak. You know the Cotton Patch got sweet cornbread? Cant find no pinto beans in either one that I can recall. Its a crying shame.

bigwheel
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:33 am

Im a yuppie, yup I like Babes CFS. :P
Gator

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:51 pm

Have you tried Sweetie Pies Ribeyes in Downtown Decatur? That part of the Babes operation. I get so sick of listening to their ad's on 95.3 FM I have about quit listening to the music. There is apparently a lot yups in the world.

bigwheel
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:26 pm

Das a new one on me.

I tell you one place I do like - that is Catfish Sams in Arlington. you know of any top notch Catfish joints, lemme know, they are hard to come by.

Best I ever had was in, scratch that, IS in Warika Ok. Bill's Fish house is the top catfish joint for me, and I do mean joint. All you can eat. Nice thin sliced fillets. All the fixins. cold beer. Worth the drive.

There was another Catfish joint over by Atlanta TX, lietrally in a cow pasture. Cant recall the exact location, but I do remember driving through a cow pasture then coming up to a little joint. It was pretty good bets I can recall.
Gator

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:46 pm

Actually it speeled Waurika I think. It aint really all that special. They got a beer joint up North of Nocona and the Mighty Red River..town called Ringold (sic) aint bad for Okie catfish and Calf fries..cept the Cowboys start fighting around 11 PM so you need to plan on being gone by then. In the DFW area..Catfish and Company is hard to beat. They on Airport Frwy on the N. Side of the road at the Bedford Euless Road Exit. Soda Springs BBQ also got good catfish or did aint sure they still in bizness aint heard any ads for them in a while anyway. The sides are pure crap from Sams was the only drawback on them. Catfish and company got good sides including the green tomater relish. Only thing is they got extruded hush puppies which looks like wolf turds. I dont like that kinda hush puppies. Now they do got pintos which is a good sign. Heard good repoats on Risckys Catch down in the Stockyards..but aint never tried it. Some folks say it just average. Doubt I like it. I'm purty picky about catfish.

bigwheel
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:17 am

Well, I'm not that big on catfish, but the three places that I like it are Catfish Sams, Catfish O'Harleys and... errrr... well... uhhh... Chicken Express.

Speaking of Catfish Sams, you ever met Sam? Really nice guy.

My wife and I went to Las Vegas for our honeymoon and Sam, his wife, son and daughter in law where on the same flights as we were and ended up at the same hotel.

While we were waiting to check in at the hotel, I got to talking with him and found out who he was. Long story short, I told him that I had always seen the place, but never been there. He told me to come on out and he would take care of me.

Well, about a year or so later, we finally made it. I asked the waitress if Sam was there. He showed up to the table and remembered us. He signed the bill off and bought us dessert on top of it! That was close to a $40 bill!

As far as Riskys catch, I think that I will pass. I have eaten at Rickys BBQ, Risky Ritas and Riskys steakhouse. All of the above sucked! :cry:
Chuck

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”