Franklin BBQ or Bust! Austin has the best brisket!

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

The Fit Adventure
Pilgrim

Franklin BBQ or Bust! Austin has the best brisket!

Postby The Fit Adventure » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:40 am

Took me 3 trips to Austin before I was able to finally get to Franklin early enough to get some of that epic TX BBQ!
First couple times got there too late and after waiting only to be told they were out of the brisket!
Third time was finally a charm! Waited the 3 hours but it was well worth it! That brisket was hands down the best I ever had!
We also went to LA BBQ and they were good too! but not as good as Franklin.

Next time I'm in Central Texas what other recommendations do you have for some good BBQ?

Here's the YouTube video of that awesome visit to Austin for that Texas BBQ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVX_wD86fQo&t=35s
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Franklin BBQ or Bust! Austin has the best brisket!

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:01 pm

First of all, Welcome to the "Best :texas: BBQ Forum" online and secondly thanks for sharing the Video. :tup: Reminds me that I'm way overdue for a trip to the Capital City but "not" for standing in line more than 90 minutes - - won't happen. Glad Y'all enjoyed the trip. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Welcome. The line at Franklin can be fun if you get a good group of people and I agree the BBQ is amazing.

Other suggestions:
Valentina's - this is where Aaron Franklin goes to eat BBQ.
Stiles Switch - really good Q and no line the couple of times I went (a long time ago).

Cruise over to Lockhart for some BBQ history.

Heard John Mueller has a new place in Round Rock. His old place was amazing. Thankfully he's not handling the business end this time.

Snows in Lexington (new #1) and Louie Mueller in Taylor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chasdev USER_AVATAR
Chasdev
Outlaw

Postby Chasdev » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:59 pm

swamp donkeyz bbq USER_AVATAR
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
Outlaw

Postby Swamp Donkeyz BBQ » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Cooper's has really good brisket also.
down_south USER_AVATAR
Down_South
Wrangler

Postby Down_South » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:02 pm

I've been to Franklin's too. It is great BBQ. The wait for me was about an hour & 45 minutes. I got a pound of everything.

Here's some other places to try here in the Central Texas area:

Snow's
Mueller's
Smitty's in Lockhart
City Market BBQ in Luling
~Aaron
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:28 pm

You gotta hit Snows like the others have mentioned.. Get a pit tour from Ms. Tootsie if possible they are doing some great queue and I am glad they are back on top once again
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
The Fit Adventure
Pilgrim

Postby The Fit Adventure » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Awesome thanks ya'll! Sounds like Snow's is going to be one on my list next time!
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:39 pm

The Fit Adventure wrote:Awesome thanks ya'll! Sounds like Snow's is going to be one on my list next time!

FYI - Snow's starts serving early. So get there super early. BBQ for breakfast is a good thing.

The Fit Adventure
Pilgrim

Postby The Fit Adventure » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:59 pm

bsooner75 wrote:
The Fit Adventure wrote:Awesome thanks ya'll! Sounds like Snow's is going to be one on my list next time!

FYI - Snow's starts serving early. So get there super early. BBQ for breakfast is a good thing.

It absolutely is! The best is having leftovers and using them for breakfast burritos or sprinkle some brisket over some eggs!
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:58 am

Swamp Donkeyz BBQ wrote:Cooper's has really good brisket also.

^^^^ This.. Right here.. 100000 times over! Franklin's is great BBQ, no question about it. Is it worth THAT kind of wait? Not in my opinion. Cooper's puts a superb offering in the bucket for best BBQ in TX as well and they dont come with that kind of celebrity hype. You don't have to wait anywhere near Franklin-esque times, and that's the best part. The Arlington location is one I used to frequent (I saw not long ago there is another somewhere else), and on their busiest times, you'll maybe be waiting about an hour or so. Heck, I've waited that long for seating at Texas Roadhouse..
I think Franklin 'que is just given an extra shot of hype and just so happens to be good; Like adding gas cans to a black powder explosion for effect.
(Insert witty signature here)
rickhdz36 USER_AVATAR
rickhdz36
Rustler

Postby rickhdz36 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:04 am

Franklin's is Definitely a must try! I have had it twice. 1st time we wanted to finally try it after living in ATX for a couple years and Second when my cousin moved here. Both times were good. Waited 45 mins the first time and 2.5 hours the 2nd. ALL in ALL delicious BBQ but I can get the same in other places without the wait.

I love Coopers BBQ in Llano! Everything was amazing and no line. Super friendly and well my son's name is cooper so I had to get a couple Tshirts :tup:

Terry Blacks in Austin is also really good. I love mac and cheese with my BBQ and they have it so It was a plus.

Valentina's BBQ is definitely a different experince. I tried their chicken, pork and brisket tacos and HOLY COW! AMAZING. I lived in apartment literally a min away from them and would pass by and wanted to try it but they didnt open till 8am and i worked nights. We moved to our current house and they blew up and I was so mad at myself for never trying them when I LIVED DOWN THE STREET. Which i guess was good because I would be broke lol I live about an hour away now and I still go just to get these tacos!

Lockhart- you WONT get any bad bbq from there.

Louie Muellers in Taylor is 15 mins away from me and its also amzing BBQ their beef ribs are HUGE and juicy! The line gets long but it actually goes by a lot faster. Then there is a new bar down the street to walk to after having some delicious BBQ

Places I want to try: John Mueller opened a new spot in Georgetown and I heard its already busy. and SNOW's in Lexington. Only open Saturdays and usual sells out by 10 or 11am. :lol:
Dan_Reidy
Pilgrim

Postby Dan_Reidy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:13 pm

Save the wait...Watch "Elder Eats: Episode 1 | February 7 | 2019 | SA Live | KSAT 12" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/gafzb-tcMk8

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”