Rib shack Meridian MS

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

JustinCouch
Outlaw

Rib shack Meridian MS

Postby JustinCouch » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:44 pm

Rib shack Meridian MS. Off of interstate 20 on exit 19. Great MS style spare ribs. The owner Mr shack uses pecan wood like we all use down here. Food is great. If anyone is traveling through they should stop and try it.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: Rib shack Meridian MS

Postby GRailsback » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:29 am

I should be going through there next month on my way to Talladega. May have to stop and give it a try.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Go for it. Try to Google the address. It's kinda hard to get to unless your familiar with Meridian. Where ya from
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:06 pm

Yoda and I went through Meridian couple of years ago to do a cookoff in Atlanta. Shoulda gone to the barbecue place, instead of Creepy Chicken Corner. What's Creepy Chicken Corner, you ask?

We pulled off the interstate to get some food, hungry as a boar hog. Got one block off the north side of the freeway and there all at one intersection was... about FOUR OR FIVE different chicken shacks. Popeye's, KFC, Chik Fil A, a locals place, you name it. I was gobbersmacked; never seen so much fried chicken in one square mile much less one square block. I look over and Yoda's mouth is hanging open, dragging the asphalt. He is a particularly hard core bird eater, you might even call him a "thigh guy". He mutters something about it being "it's Chicken Nirvana...beautiful... beautiful". All the sudden, I got this shiver. Felt like we was in the middle of one of those Twightlight Zone episodes; all I could think of was, we have made a bad turn off the road into the land of the Chicken People, or worse yet, the Stepford Chicken People. People kept shuffling in and out, kinda drooling a little, with this like, well, HUNGRY look in their flinty eyes. Not just a few people in dribs and drabs, but like a steady... procession. Like they was all somehow being pulled, no, DRAWN to the KFC. Same thing over at the other places, people marching steady in and out, cars backed up out into the state route, turn signals blinkin in unison, all staring, all wanting to GET IN THERE. All the sudden it got really creepy, like if we stayed there very long, all we'd wanna be doing for the rest of our lives was standin' around a big kettle, pitchin' big 'ol fryers into boiling hot oil, with a kinda contented blank smile on our faces. I punched Yoda in the arm outta his stupor and we jumped in the truck and pulled into the Popeye's drive through. The lady in the window takes our order and turns to walk away, but then slowly turns back and looks at us with this big dish eyed grin and goes, "you boys want some GIZZARDS with that?" We got us a box of white meat with gravy and burned rubber outta there.

I hit the Interstate with smoke coming out of the back, hit 80 in a half mile, and started to relax. We made it about 2 miles down, where there's another overpass over a crossroads. I looked over and then I see it. Like 3 kidney dialysis clinics; another one was about another 2 miles down. I punched the accelerator, and we hit 90, kept peekin over my shoulder to make sure we wasn't followed. At one point I saw a semi gaining on us; sure nuff, it was a chicken truck. I could smell it comin'. Dale Ernhardt couldna' caught us after that.

We made Atlanta in record time but couldn't sleep that night, kept dreamin I was being chased by a couple Rock Islands, a banty rooster, and a big 'ol Jersey Giant that kept squawking,"TWENTY PIECE BUCKET! TWENTY PIECE BUCKET!". Ooooo, creeps me out just thinkin about it.

Think of it this way; chickens look all fine and gentle from the side; but did you ever look at one of 'em head on?? Think about it.
Attachments
IMG_1042.JPG
Last edited by Boots on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Your wordsmith ing skills are beautiful boots, you should write a book. I'd buy a copy,lol.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:36 pm

In all respect to the good people of Meridian, it was mighty fine chicken.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:13 am

JustinCouch wrote:Go for it. Try to Google the address. It's kinda hard to get to unless your familiar with Meridian. Where ya from

I will be coming up from Cypress TX. I usually roll through Meridian during the middle of the day. Do they parking for motorhomes?
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:29 am

Boots wrote:In all respect to the good people of Meridian, it was mighty fine chicken.

No shortage of chickens in Miss. that's for sure Boots. And pine trees. Jump on I-59 at Slidell and run it up to Meridian, you'll never see more pine trees in your life.
JustinCouch
Outlaw

Postby JustinCouch » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:00 am

Boots hit the nail on the head. I don't know what we have more of, chicken joints or diabetes clinics. I love the story man. That was assumin. Well off to work so goodmornin good evnin or good night friends.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:18 pm

I forget to mention grits, one of my faverit foods, great grits in the Southland. And biscuits? Fergetaboudit.

GR, they got enough parking to land 2 Goodyear blimps and Dolly Parton both, not that people could tell the difference.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”