Cartwright's BBQ, Bastrop TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Cartwright's BBQ, Bastrop TX

Postby DaHorns » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:21 pm

Stopped by Cartwright's after a long day of fishing. Let's just say the fishing was much better than the bbq and the fishing wasnt that good. I decided to have the good 'ol 3 meat combo plate with a sweet tea. So I picked the brisket, sausage, and turkey with potato salad as my side. Well folks all I can say is that when you advertise you have FAMOUS hot sausage you should make sure its at least good, it was dry like jerky, maybe thats what its famous for. :roll: I moved on to the brisket, nice smoke ring, seemed juicy, then there was the bite. When he cut it it seemed like it was all fat, the meat was tender but little to no flavor. Oh well, last but not least it was the turkey, that was pretty good, moist, tender, and a good flavor. The potato salad was your average store bought. Now on to the tea, at first I was very pleased, I love me some good sweet tea. Then I got a refill for the road, as I got to the bottom of my cup I found a couple black things floating in the tea. I was looking at it and it was some kind of mold maybe from the dispenser, I have been sick to my stomach since I saw it. Needless to say, I will not be back to Cartwright's EVER!!!!

:censor:
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:35 pm

Thanks for the repoat. I dodge that place next time I head out to The Lake Bastrop Club. You ever been in that dive? Or perhaps it long gone by this time. Used to be a good place to get stomped to death by cedar hackers. Anyway..as to the mysterious substance in your tea..it sounds a lot like a few tea grounds. Have you ruled that theory plumb out of the equation?

bigwheel
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:58 pm

bigwheel wrote:Anyway..as to the mysterious substance in your tea..it sounds a lot like a few tea grounds. Have you ruled that theory plumb out of the equation?

bigwheel

The pieces were about as big as my little finger fingernail. I think that rules out the possibility of tea grounds. It was grey and black as well...... :evil:
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:22 pm

Now was this your cup or their cup which the tea was contained? Reason I'm checking is a got an old green Alladin insulated mug that I use for drinking everything in liquid form. You can also pee in it if it an emergency deal. Now that cup grows some unusual fungi sometimes. No telling whut you finding floating in my tea if drinking outta that cup. Think the only reason it aint kilt me yet is because Ezra is a good antiseptic. Prob mo betta than Clorox. Now if it was their cup..I take all this back of course.

bigwheel
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:27 pm

Their cup, white styrofoam cup. Brand new when I pulled it off the stack. There wasn't anything in it when I filled it with ice, but there was when I got to the bottom of the cup.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:54 am

Ok it musta been some kinda fungus. Hopefully from the pennicillin genus..phylum etc.

bigwheel
tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:00 am

a couple of friends of mine went to Cartwrights about a month ago and had the complete opposite to say...

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/texasbluesroa ... x=73&lmt=5

i was about ready to drive out and try it based on their review. Now im not as anxious to get out there after hearing DaHorns review. i know this for sure, doesnt sound like i want to mess with the sweet tea!
gomer76825 USER_AVATAR
Gomer76825
Rustler

Re: Cartwright's BBQ - Bastrop, Tx

Postby Gomer76825 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:46 am

DaHorns hit the nail on the head, ate there once and won't make that mistake again.
Head cook for The Lost Gonzo Goat Scorchers
V.P. Culinary Services Choza Del Lago
Qshack
Wrangler

Postby Qshack » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:21 am

Keep driving up the frontage road a block or two and go to Billy's BBQ, right after the Dairy Queen. You will be much happier. :D Tell 'em Cartwright's sent you.

Heh, heh
United, I stand alone against collectivism.

Cheapie off-set (3rd rustin out NB Smoker)
Hole in the ground, AKA "The pit"
Qshack
Wrangler

Postby Qshack » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:20 am

Cartwright's has flippant service people, tough and fatty meat, tasteless sausage and mediocre sides. The only thing this place has going for it is a decent sauce and a close proximity to some really great BBQ from Billy's right up the feeder a block, passed the Dairy Queen on the right. Much better service and food. Much better prices. You will ever go back to Cartwrights.

Cheers

Qshack
Wrangler

Postby Qshack » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:11 am

Cartwight's in Bastrop is now closed, replaced by a sports bar.

eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:19 am

Qshack wrote:Cartwight's in Bastrop is now closed, replaced by a sports bar.

Sports bar is now closed and replaced by a Verizon Wireless store. On a side note, Cartwrights seems to have reopened west of Bastrop, in that crazy looking building in Cedar Creek, the one that had the old batmobile sitting beside it for years. I haven't tried it, and based on my prior experience at the old place, I doubt I will.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”