Central Tx BBQ trip this weekend

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chilibbq
Wrangler

Central Tx BBQ trip this weekend

Postby chilibbq » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:30 pm

Me and a couple of drinking buds making the trip this weekend, only 1 of the guys has not been on one of our trips. Making Lockhart on friday, Smitty's(lunch) and Kreuz(supper) and a quiet bar somewhere in Lockhart to finish the day. Then to Austin to County Line(On The Hill) for lunch on the patio looking out west (great view). Head to Luckenbach for the afternoon(antique (sp) bike rally). Then on to Salt Lick for beer and more BBQ. Crash in Johnson City and drive back thru the Hill Country and stop for lunch in Hico at the Koffee Kup for chicken freid steak and onion rings. :D
chilibbq
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:14 pm

I haven't been to any of the places you mentioned yet, but they get a lot of reviews...sounds like a good time!
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
chilibbq
Wrangler

Postby chilibbq » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:20 pm

Have made the trip about 7 or 8 times in the last 4 or 5yrs. Not always the same places, it will be a good time with friends, always makes the wife mad when its just the guys going, she likes to make the trip also.
chilibbq
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:43 pm

Yep that's a trip I gotta do at least once before I die...
tarde venientibus ossa....
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:22 pm

Incredibly Envious!!!
I've always thought someone could get rich up here with the right Chicken Fried Steak, cream gravy and fresh cut fries.....no CFS in this part of the country...
:(
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:58 pm

Well be sure and keep the shiney side up. Dont want to get you all banged up so you have to miss the big chili contest on Nov 18. Have fun.

bigwheel

chilibbq wrote:Have made the trip about 7 or 8 times in the last 4 or 5yrs. Not always the same places, it will be a good time with friends, always makes the wife mad when its just the guys going, she likes to make the trip also.
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:49 pm

Hey guys! I'm thinking that we need to invite ourselves next time he goes! :big: :out:

Sounds like you had a fun trip Chili!!!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:39 pm

nascarchuck wrote:Hey guys! I'm thinking that we need to invite ourselves next time he goes! :big: :out:

Sounds like you had a fun trip Chili!!!

Ditto dat Chuck....
tarde venientibus ossa....
chilibbq
Wrangler

Postby chilibbq » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:15 am

Hey guys haven't gone yet, leave tomorrow morning(19th). But it will be a great trip. BW saw the cookoff on the calendar, am planning on making it, if no family plans get in the way, who knows might be able to drag Shivers out to cook again. Speaking of chili, cooked a CASI cookoff for the 1st time in quite awhile and placed, maybe I haven't lost it.
chilibbq
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:27 am

Well congrats on that fine CASI showing. Sure you still got the magic touch.

bigwheel
tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:47 am

I'll be at that bike rally, not sure what time we're rolling in though. We went last year, it was a lot of fun. All kinds of bikes.

Those onion rings at the Koffee Kup are crazy good.

Have you been to the County Line? Ok BBQ, you're paying for that view you know?? :wink: Its cool for first timers and out of towners i guess.

If you're rolling down for Q specifically i'd probably suggest a different place for lunch on Saturday. Opies in Spicewood is pretty good and kind of on your way to Luckenbach (via Hwy 71).

Theres a good place on the SW side of San Marcos called Woodys (used to be Southwest Mkt) on Hunter Rd. You could hit that and then jet over to Blanco via RR 12 & FM 32 and then over to Luckenbach.

just my suggesstions. either way you're doing good! that sounds like a lot of fun.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:32 am

DJ wrote:Incredibly Envious!!!
I've always thought someone could get rich up here with the right Chicken Fried Steak, cream gravy and fresh cut fries.....no CFS in this part of the country...
:(
dj

hey DJ, my wife and in-laws are from the Boston area. They live here now but when I first started dating her we all went out to dinner and I ordered chicken fried steak. They didn't know what the heck it was! Now I make it often at home and my wife loves it! along with grits too!! :lol:
chilibbq
Wrangler

Postby chilibbq » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:34 am

Hi Tex, yea County Line has been hit and miss on bbq for me. Last time it was very good, but I have had some bad days there also. Gonna give it a try. I'll put those 2 places on my list the next trip in March, thanks.
The onion rings are great.
Will be the 1st time for the bike rally, looking forward to it. Watch for a red and white Lone Star beer cap, names Terry, will be 3 or 4 of us.
chilibbq
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:54 am

Sounds like a really great trip! Be sure and take along a quart of Rolaids.
Stan
chilibbq
Wrangler

Postby chilibbq » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:42 am

Well guys, I'll get the pictures on here if possible, The guy who hadn't been before took pictures, he's supposed to send to me after gets back home to Georgia. The trip was great, stoped in Taylor at the Taylor Cafe for a couple of beers and his great turkey sausage, on to Smitty's for lunch,I had prime rib(very good) and sausage ( a touch greasy). but good. the other guys covered everything else and the only thing any of them had a complaint about was the pork chop, dry, but he got a fresh slice off a new rack. spent some time in a little bar called Cedar Hall in Lockhart, nice time was had. At Kreuz got the clod and brisket and jap and cheese sausage, all good and the sausage even better. the other guys covered again and again the complaint was the pork chop dry.
Sat on to the County Line where I had cheated and only got the Turkey sandwich but it was really good, the other guys got brisket, ribs and sausage. Sausage was nothing to write home about, brisket was ok by one and good by the other, I thought it was ok, but the ribs got high marks by all of us, Now we did get there at 11:30 when they opened up, which can be bad if they are getting rid of the day before left overs, but we did not, fresh off the pit, just right.
Luckenbach,what can you say, fun as always and with the bike rally saw lots of good looking bikes and gals :D
Salt lick was about the same as always, I've always gotten above average to good bbq there and it was the same Sat night, But it was a longer wait than normal, we had to sit and drink beer for a hr before we got in :D
The only sad thing was the Sunday stop we had planned for Sun at the Koffee Kup in Hico :cry: closed for a funeral for a family member it said on the door. So guys there is a new place in TOWN, called Texas Trails just down the street, big sign out front about NOT FAST FOOD. So we gave them a try and ask about the sign, said it was because the HICO web site list them as fast food, nd they are 80% cooked from scratch and they were good, got the chicken fried steak as big as the platter it came on , got the sides of pinto beans(very good-scratch) and fired tators also scratch, just didn't have onion rings, didn't try any pies but they did have them. If the Koffee Kup was closed or to crowded, I'll go back.
All in all, great trip and better time with some friends. After I digest all this bbq meat I'll be ready to go again.
chilibbq

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”