Freedmen's, Austin TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ndn98 USER_AVATAR
NDN98
Pilgrim

Freedmen's, Austin TX

Postby NDN98 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:03 pm

I tried this place while I was in Austin for a conference and it was terrific. I ate at 3 other places (John Mueller Meat Co., Franklin Barbecue, and Stiles Switch) in Austin that week and it rivaled all of them. Brisket and ribs were really heavy on the cracked black pepper and had a nice crust. Great smoky flavor on both of those as well. Brisket was second only to Franklin Barbecue and the sausage and ribs were the best I had in Austin.

They also had a great brisket taco that was a $3 appetizer.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Freedmen's, Austin TX

Postby Boots » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:45 am

This the new place on the east side? Friend of mine who is savvy was talking about it.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
ndn98 USER_AVATAR
NDN98
Pilgrim

Postby NDN98 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Boots wrote:This the new place on the east side? Friend of mine who is savvy was talking about it.

I am not real familiar with Austin, but I believe the area Freedmen's is located in is called West Campus. It is West of 35. I know John Mueller Meat Co. is on the East side. His new place has been open about 6 or 7 months, which was about the same time Freedman's opened up. I ate there as well and it was also very good. Not at Franklin Barbecue level, but still very good. Reminded me a lot of Louie Mueller's.
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:15 pm

NDN98 wrote:... I know John Mueller Meat Co. is on the East side. His new place has been open about 6 or 7 months, which was about the same time Freedman's opened up. I ate there as well and it was also very good. Not at Franklin Barbecue level, but still very good. Reminded me a lot of Louie Mueller's.

No doubt John reminded you of Louie's. It's pretty much the same style and recipes. I find both to be very good right now, though Louie's went through a rough patch after Lance left a few years back. They have recovered nicely.

As for new places on the east side, I know of two that come to mind, Micklethwait and Blue Ox. Both are worth visiting, but I currently like Micklethwait better than Ox. Since it's almost impossible to get Franklin's anymore(unless you are unemployed or pre-order 5+ pounds), it's almost not fair to use them in a comparison. I like Micklethwait enough to have made multiple visits over the last couple months.

I need to try Freedman's. I have seen a couple different write-ups on it saying it was good, but I haven't gotten over there yet. Soon.
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Soooo many new bbq places popping up in austin and they all have lines and sell out daily. Goes to show you just how much good bbq is appreciated by the masses.
"Sic 'em Bears"
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:50 am

FR8 Train wrote:Soooo many new bbq places popping up in austin and they all have lines and sell out daily. Goes to show you just how much good bbq is appreciated by the masses.

True, but I would expect the market to settle down eventually. Most BBQ places here have been started in the last few years, and they charge some fairly premium prices. So many of them are food trailers, and a bbq lunch can still cost $15+. It wasn't very long ago that it was much less. I don't think it will collapse fully, but I do expect a thinning of the herd eventually. Standing in line in the Texas summer sun for 45 minutes doesn't help either.

Still, get out and enjoy the que. Almost all the old places are showing their age, and aren't really competing with these new guys. You roll into Lockhart or Luling or Elgin and you get brisket that is tough and often not even sliced correctly. There was a reason that TM decided to leave them off the top 50 list.
ndn98 USER_AVATAR
NDN98
Pilgrim

Postby NDN98 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:38 pm

I have heard good things about Micklethwait Craft Meats, but wasn't able to go on my last trip. So many good places in Austin and only a limited amount of time to eat there. While there in June, I ate at Franklin, Freedmen's, John Mueller Meat Co., ad Stiles Switch. I wasn't able to make it to Micklethwait Craft Meats or the other place I wanted to try, La Barbecue.
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:34 am

eltex wrote:
FR8 Train wrote:Soooo many new bbq places popping up in austin and they all have lines and sell out daily. Goes to show you just how much good bbq is appreciated by the masses.

True, but I would expect the market to settle down eventually. Most BBQ places here have been started in the last few years, and they charge some fairly premium prices. So many of them are food trailers, and a bbq lunch can still cost $15+. It wasn't very long ago that it was much less. I don't think it will collapse fully, but I do expect a thinning of the herd eventually. Standing in line in the Texas summer sun for 45 minutes doesn't help either.

Still, get out and enjoy the que. Almost all the old places are showing their age, and aren't really competing with these new guys. You roll into Lockhart or Luling or Elgin and you get brisket that is tough and often not even sliced correctly. There was a reason that TM decided to leave them off the top 50 list.

I wish it was only 15 bucks.... :shock:
"Sic 'em Bears"
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:55 am

Man, that is one sexy plate of meat!! I'm a sucker for heavy smoke and a good crust. I'd be on that like stink on you know what. My wife was asking me the other night, if you could go anywhere in Texas for a weekend, where would you go? I said without a doubt, Austin. She said. so you can eat at Franklins? I said, that's one out of the handful of places I would go. Then I told her about the BBQ tour buses that people are taking to that area and hitting up 4-5 BBQ joints. She just shook her head. haha
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:49 pm

More photos, same topic. I shoulda searched and added my post to the old one.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=22011&p=181687&hilit=freedman#p181687
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:07 pm

NDN98 wrote: I wasn't able to make it to Micklethwait Craft Meats or the other place I wanted to try, La Barbecue.

I liked LA BBQ for the que, but I like John Mueller so much, that I can't bring myself to go back to LA BBQ. Last time I was there I got a beef rib, slice of brisket, and a piece of cheese. $30 lunch. OUCH!!! It's good, he uses all top quality meat and such, but when is a BBQ lunch on a picnic table worth $30?
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:24 pm

2402 San Gabriel St.
In the heart of West Campus

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”