Slow Bone BBQ, Dallas TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ndn98 USER_AVATAR
NDN98
Pilgrim

Re: Slow Bone BBQ, Dallas TX

Postby NDN98 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:48 pm

I have only been once, but I liked the Slow Bone. When I went, the brisket was really good and so were the ribs. I wasn't a big fan of their "Old Time Sausage," but I did like their cilantro sausage. If you are into sides, their fried okra is really good. I plan on going back sometime very soon.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:17 am

Was there about 3 weeks ago. Rating:

1) Cool digs and would enjoy sitting down for beers with Jack, funny guy and workin hard to get his place rolling. Serious about his food which I liked.
2) Brisket: Looked good, tasted and textured a little above average. But far behind Justin's stuff at PL.
3) Rubs: Just average. Cooked right, but short on any deep flavor. Mike Babb and Off the Bone producing a better rib.
4) Sauce: I'm not a big sauce guy but tried it just to compare to Mike Babb's, which for a sauce is really, seriously good. Jack sauce struck me as a rib sauce and though red, had a lot of mustard undertones, and some spice I just couldn't figure out, a little sweetish like nutmeg, I dunno. But didn't really fit good with the food.

Overall, the place gets a avg/good rating from me but doesn't get the "it's great, I crave it" that really drives me. PL gets that for pretty much all meats and Babb's does for ribs and sauce.

Gator, I know you are the most serious sauce guy around, your thoughts on Mike Babb's would be welcome, understanding he is somewhat of a competitor. His and yours are the only ones I could sit down with a bottle and just slowly drink it sans meat (with a beer chaser if course).
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Boots wrote:Was there about 3 weeks ago. Rating:

1) Cool digs and would enjoy sitting down for beers with Jack, funny guy and workin hard to get his place rolling. Serious about his food which I liked.
2) Brisket: Looked good, tasted and textured a little above average. But far behind Justin's stuff at PL.
3) Rubs: Just average. Cooked right, but short on any deep flavor. Mike Babb and Off the Bone producing a better rib.
4) Sauce: I'm not a big sauce guy but tried it just to compare to Mike Babb's, which for a sauce is really, seriously good. Jack sauce struck me as a rib sauce and though red, had a lot of mustard undertones, and some spice I just couldn't figure out, a little sweetish like nutmeg, I dunno. But didn't really fit good with the food.

Overall, the place gets a avg/good rating from me but doesn't get the "it's great, I crave it" that really drives me. PL gets that for pretty much all meats and Babb's does for ribs and sauce.

Gator, I know you are the most serious sauce guy around, your thoughts on Mike Babb's would be welcome, understanding he is somewhat of a competitor. His and yours are the only ones I could sit down with a bottle and just slowly drink it sans meat (with a beer chaser if course).

I have never tried it???
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Will try and snag a bottle for you next trip out and then ship it over (along with my next Sucklebusters order). I looked yesterday and found I am short on Hoochie.

I can just hear CowboyDon laughing over in the corner about now.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:05 pm

My Review
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3625268500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raider18
Cowboy

Postby Raider18 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:23 pm

For those who don't Facebook.
So my first attempt to go to Slow Bone BBQ was derailed by a Twitter altercation with one of the owners Jack Perkins. I swore I would never step foot in one of his restaurants again (he also owns Maple and Motor), but that changed after meeting one of the co-owners. His business partner was one of the nicest guys I've ever met so I decided to give SB a try. I had the 3 meat plate, brisket, ribs and cilantro sausage, for sides mac and cheese, collard greens and cornbread. The sides were fantastic, some of the best greens I've ever had. As for the meat it was average at best. The ribs and brisket had a bitter smoke taste and I didn't eat more than a couple of bites of both. The sausage was fantastic sadly SB cannot take credit for it as it's made by a company out of Austin. I'm disappointed I didn't like the place, because I really wanted to. It has gotten a lot of attention lately from Daniel Vaughn (TX Monthly's BBQ Editor) who I normally agree with but not this time. If I'm in the area again I'll probably just go across the street and have the best burger in Dallas at Offsite Kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:34 am

Raider18 wrote: The sausage was fantastic sadly SB cannot take credit for it as it's made by a company out of Austin.

do you know what the company name is? would like to try some of it?
Thanks
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:26 pm

Boots wrote:Will try and snag a bottle for you next trip out and then ship it over (along with my next Sucklebusters order). I looked yesterday and found I am short on Hoochie.

I can just hear CowboyDon laughing over in the corner about now.

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Yeah Boots you know it, I am not the biggest fan of Babbs - But I will say there are several in close relationship to me that will, and have
sat down and drank SuckleBuster's Original straight from the bottle.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”