Baby Back Shack, Dallas TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Baby Back Shack, Dallas TX

Postby erbeman » Thu May 23, 2013 9:07 pm

A coworker and I went to the shack a few weeks back at his request. He said its one of the best bbq places in Dallas and its close to my office. At first glance when we walked in, I had a good feeling about it becuase the line was pretty long and there were several cops, and they usually know good local places. So I ordered brisket, ribs and turkery since they don't have sausage. Yes, I said they don't have sausage. They didn't have any sides that sounded good but I had read about their beans being quite good. So, I went with beans and corn. The price was average at like $15.

As soon as they brought out my order my heart dropped. None of it was appealing to the eye at all. The turkey appears to have come from a block of processed turkey flavored something. It didn't appear or have the feel of anything like turkey. It reminded me of a block of pressed ham. It tasted exactly how it appeared. The brisket, wow how do I describe it. I'm going to go with boiled brisket in unseasoned water. I ate two bites and was embarassed for the shack. I don't recall eating a brisket that bad before. Now on to the ribs, they looked ok but had no color to them at all. They use a pretty simple rub and pretty sparingly. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to cover the gas taste of the meat. I don't know what gave it that flavor, but it was pretty strong and not appealing. So far, the shack is batting about a .050. For those that don't follow baseball, that is freakin terrible.

So, hoping the sides would give me something to smile about, I dug into the corn. Dang, poured straight from the can to a pan to heat up. No butter, salt, nothing, just bland cafeteria corn. Come on shack, how in the world do you stay open with this food. The only thing left is the beans that I had read, were definately were homemade. They are different looking for sure. You could tell they had some hamburger meat in them, so I am a little excited to try them. Surprisingly, they were pretty good. They tasted more along the lines of chili than ranch style beans. Finally, something that I can be somewhat happy about.They were definately not going to bring me back to the shack though. I would give this place 1 star and only because of the beans.

Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Baby Back Shack

Postby bsooner75 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:54 pm

Brisket looks like it has that dull grey color to it. Always a bad sign.
limey USER_AVATAR
limey
Deputy

Re: Baby Back Shack

Postby limey » Thu May 23, 2013 10:00 pm

bsooner75 wrote:Brisket looks like it has that dull grey color to it. Always a bad sign.

Thought it was a porkchop. :shock:
How bout some more beans Mr.Taggert? I'd say you've had enough!
R & O Custom Trailer
Weber 22.5 Gold
Weber 22.5 Smoky Mountain
Oklahoma Joe Longhorn Edition
Limey BBQ Co. Competition Team
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Re: Baby Back Shack

Postby erbeman » Thu May 23, 2013 10:24 pm

limey wrote:
bsooner75 wrote:Brisket looks like it has that dull grey color to it. Always a bad sign.

Thought it was a porkchop. :shock:

Haha, mystery meat like the turkey!
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”