Kenny's Smokehouse, Plano TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

sparetimetoys USER_AVATAR
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Kenny's Smokehouse, Plano TX

Postby sparetimetoys » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:00 pm

This is cheff Kennys latest venture. We love the burger joint and Italian resturant so when he opened the smoke house we had to go. I can't stop eating the pulled pork tostadas. Brisket melts in your mouth and the japilino poppers stuffed with brisket... I gotta stop or we will be headed to the car and going for late lunch. Oh they also now have smoked prime rib on Sundays. It's just east of the DNT on legacy in Plano in the shops of legacy.
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Re: Kenny's smoke house

Postby Boots » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Truly a quality place. I was there opening day for lunch, and Kenny graciously gave me a tour of the place when he found out I cooked on my own and hung out on this forum. It appeared his wife was working the door opening day, gotta love the family business. By the way, his burger place ROCKS like the Rolling Stones.... I jumped off the table immediately after I woke up from the anisthetic for a little outpatient man surgery at the hospital nearby (nurse literally chased me with the wheelchair but I was able to give her the Heisman like Johnny Manziel, hope I didn't bruise her forehead too bad when I punched her in the nose, but she was like Nurse Ratchet's older sister so all's fair I say) and since I had NOT BEEN ABLE TO EAT ANYTHING BUT %@!!#$$!!!%$@%$!^&^#%$@&^%#%@@@%%@@!!!! JELLO FOR 24 HOURS (emphasis added) my wonderful, highly intelligent and beautiful bride drove me straight to Kenny's Burger Joint for a piled high avocado burger, heavy on the MAYO, and a Bourbon Milk Shake (yes, Farrrrrieeeendssss, that is NOT a TYPO, they do feature a BOURBON MILKSHAKE!!). It were soooooooo good.

Kenny's staff does an amazing job with the space they have available (literally elbow to elbow and the cooks could be Siamese twins). The brisket was very nice, not quite competition grade but well worth the money, but the ribs were first rate. Waiter was a kid from the Panhandle, so they do know to put the real people out to work the crowd.

Conclusion: Boots says, not cheap, but worth the money, and support yer local pitmasters. I am Boots, and I approve this message.

Sparetime: Thank you for posting this review and reminding me I had not put in the time to voice my thoughts.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
mildbill USER_AVATAR
MildBill
Wrangler

Postby MildBill » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:39 pm

I gotta try this place. If there BBQ is as good as their burger joint I will he a happy guy!
Life is not like a box of chocolates... It's more like a jar of jalapenos: What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow!
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:48 pm

MildBill wrote:I gotta try this place. If there BBQ is as good as their burger joint I will he a happy guy!

Me and momma are going to head there after church Sunday for the smoked prime rib.
Thank You to all the fine folks here for all the tips and advice so I can now smoke a chunk of meat and folks actually eat it.
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Wow Kenny's is making a name fast. Came on the list at #12

http://sheehancan.com/bbq/?p=164
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:54 pm

sparetimetoys wrote:
MildBill wrote:I gotta try this place. If there BBQ is as good as their burger joint I will he a happy guy!

Me and momma are going to head there after church Sunday for the smoked prime rib.

Just an update on the prime rib. It was better than what I get at salt licks driftwood location. This is going to save me a lot of extra driving by not having to make the run out to the lick when we are down in Austin. Now we just will be going out to Elroy to Wild Bubbas for some of the best burgers.
ndn98 USER_AVATAR
NDN98
Pilgrim

Re: Kenny's Smokehouse, Plano TX

Postby NDN98 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:09 pm

Been here a couple of times. Brisket was ok, jalapeno sausage and ribs were terrible. The ribs are smothered in one of the worst barbecue sauces I have ever had. I prefer my ribs "dry", but don't mind them wet if the sauce is decent.
erbeman USER_AVATAR
erbeman
Bandolero

Postby erbeman » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:48 am

NDN98 wrote:Been here a couple of times. Brisket was ok, jalapeno sausage and ribs were terrible. The ribs are smothered in one of the worst barbecue sauces I have ever had. I prefer my ribs "dry", but don't mind them wet if the sauce is decent.

Man I hate it when places cover meats in sauces. A good dry rib is hard to beat. Like ol Myron says, I don't want a dang candy coated piece of meat. That's like going to a steak house, ordering a ribeye then pouring hienz 57 on it. It just wrong!

I've turned my 11 year old daughter in a bonifide bbq snob. When I smoke something and my wife pours some bbq sauce on it, eats it with a fork, or wraps it in bread, my daughter goes off on her. I freakin love it :cheers: It makes me so proud to see my kids so passionate about something that I love so much. When I carve up a brisket, she goes straight for the point for some burnt ends and fatty slices. How many little girls do that! Man, did I get off track or what. Haha
Smokin Erbe
UDS
Weber One Touch
mildbill USER_AVATAR
MildBill
Wrangler

Postby MildBill » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:50 am

I've never been to his smokehouse but my girlfriend tried their ribs at Kenny's Burger joint. She wasn't impressed at all. She is kind of a rib snob. We may try the smokehouse someday but from what I have heard it is expensive and from what I have read here it doesn't sound like we will be going anytime soon.
Life is not like a box of chocolates... It's more like a jar of jalapenos: What you do today might burn your butt tomorrow!
sparetimetoys
Bandolero

Postby sparetimetoys » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:30 pm

MildBill wrote:I've never been to his smokehouse but my girlfriend tried their ribs at Kenny's Burger joint. She wasn't impressed at all. She is kind of a rib snob. We may try the smokehouse someday but from what I have heard it is expensive and from what I have read here it doesn't sound like we will be going anytime soon.

I've had the ribs from the burger joint they are not the same ribs. Ask for the ribs no sauce bet you can get them that way. The cost for a brisket or pulled pork Sammie is about the same as any other non chain Q joint in the area. The alcohol drinks are nuts but I think all places are nuts for what they charge for booze down here. We had a mom and pop bar resturant up in Wisconsin in another life. I always start with the pulled pork tostadas. The smoked prime rib is not the most costly that I have had but it's one of the best. There is 5 adults in our house and it's ranged from$60 to $120 for us to eat there depending on how nuts we get.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”