208 South Commerce
Lockhart, Texas 78644

Telephone: 512.398.9344
contact@smittysmarket.com
http://www.smittysmarket.com

Mon. - Fri. 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Sat. 7 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
Sunday 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Smittys is a main stay in Lockhart, they have been BBQing in this location since before the turn of the last century according to their website. Formally the Kruez Market, it is obvious form the charred walls that a lot of BBQ has been made in these pits.

When you walk in (I came in the back door from the parking lot) the sweet smell of smoke is in the air. For me, this is a good sign. We arrived on a Thursday evening about 5 PM. If you go in the front door, there is an expansive seating area and "sides" sales counter. There are two separate cash registers, one for sides (pintos, slaw, cheese, avocados and a few other odd and ends + drinks, including beer + ice cream + souvenirs) and another one by the pits for 'que. They provide white bread for no charge at the pit checkout. Meats are sold by the pound, sausage by the link.

Hot sauce on the tables, no BBQ sauce.

The pits are arranged in two rooms and are simple large brick pits with metal grates. The pits are feed from one end by post oak fires and out through large chimneys.

The food was really good. Highest marks went to the ribs, sweet and tender, no obvious signs of rubs or mops, just pure sweet perfectly done ribs. Excellent. I would have these time and time again.

The sausage was good and have a great flavor. Very fresh and tasty. It was a little loosely packed for my liking, but the flavor was very good. Had a hint of spice, maybe jalapeño. I dabbed a little hot sauce on and away we went.

The brisket was good, nice flavor all around. Bark was noticeable and was cut exactly to my order. I have to say that the flat could have benefited from a little more cooking. It was not tough, but wasn’t perfectly tender either, sort of in-between.

Pintos were good with a basic bean flavor. Cole Slaw was good. Beer was cold.

All-in-all, Smittys Market was a solid choice for BBQ. The pit masters were great and the place "felt" like a good BBQ Joint. I recommend the ribs from this trip.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:42 am

they do have some great ribs there.

little side note. I discovered on my last visit that they do have sauce, you have to ask for it at the checkout though. For years they didnt have sauce (cause they say their meat is so good you dont need it), but so many people have asked for it that they recently started keeping it behind the counter in little containers.

I wish Kreuz's would do the same.
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:11 pm

Thanks for the run down, I have been wanting to give it a try, just haven't had an opportunity.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:24 pm

I finally had an opportunity to stop here and have some Q, we were on our way back from a few days at the coast and were looking forward to some good Q. We passed up City Market because we hadn't ever tried Smitty's and really wanted to.

I ordered a pork chop, 1/2 lb of "fat" brisket, and a ring of sausage and it was accompanied by some bread, tater salad, and some sweet pickles. The pork chop was fantastic it was about 1" thick and very moist. The sausage was really good too, just a little on the greasy side, but once you cut into it, the majority of the grease ran out. I have to say I was very disappointed in the brisket, it was very tough and when it was sliced it wasn't seperated (point from flat) so you got one piece sliced "against the grain" and the attached piece "with the grain" making it tough and stringy. Needless to say it wasn't a stellar meal, but I'd give it another go.

My cousin had the brisket (same opinion), ribs, and sausage. The ribs were really good, he was nice enough to share one with me, moist and a good flavor.

I forgot to metion I had a couple Big Reds with my Q.
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
3 star redneck USER_AVATAR
3 star redneck
Chuck Wagon

Postby 3 star redneck » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:19 am

I have been to Smitty's several times, the Owner's nephew (Scott) runs the place now. hes very knowledgeable and doesn't mind showing the place.. IMHO, I think they serve some of the best commercial Q I've ever had. Like Chris said, They make a really good ring sausage there also... :lol: :wink:

Now ..Kruetz's is a whloe nother story... :roll:
R&O Custom Offset....It rocks!!!!
http://www.redneckcooker.com

Hook Em' Horns

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”