Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Wrights Barbecue, Augusta Georgia

Postby Big Mike » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:01 pm

I ended up trying Wrights Barbecue tonight. www.wrightsbarbecue.com

Wrights is a roadside BBQ Concession that serves Chopped Pork, Chopped Beef, Ribs, Hash and Rice and some desserts. Feeling kind of gluttonous, I decided to try a little bit of each. I had the Rib/Pork dinner with beans and Mac and Cheese. I also got some of the chopped beef, a small Hash and Rice and a piece of Sweet Potato Pie. I wasn't really that hungry, but I decided what the heck I'll try it.

Smoker - The smoker used is a 7-8 ft. barrell smoker.

Wood - Hickory

Chopped Beef - It was bad, I couldn't eat it and that is all I have to say about that.

Chopped Pork - The pork was a bit undercooked and did not have much smoke flavor. It wasn't that bad but it wasn't that good either.

Spare Ribs - The ribs were cooked almost perfect as far as tenderness is concerned. The taste was ok. They had been holding for a bit though and were a Grayish color just like the ones at Mot's BBQ.

Hash and Rice Was pretty good. I like the Hash I had at Mot's better.

Baked Beans - Had good flavor. They were a little thick but all in all they were good.

Mac and Cheese - Very Good. It was homemade mac and cheese just like my grandmother used to make. You almost never see it made this way in a restaurant.

Sweet Potato Pie - Excellent, I would stop just for this.

Sauces He has two sauces, Hot and Mild. Both are pretty good. The mild is just the right combination of tomato and vinegar.

I don't think anyone here uses a rub. If they do I sure can't taste it. Everything is just kind of bland.

The only thing I would definately go back for is the Mac and Cheese and the Sweet Potato Pie.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:23 pm

No rub, Big Mike you hit it on the head. I was trying to remember what I thought years ago. Great observation :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”