Lairds BBQ, Llano TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

gomer76825 USER_AVATAR
Gomer76825
Rustler

Laird's in Llano

Postby Gomer76825 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:16 pm

Anyone every tired Laird's in LLano. Granted I just tried a brisket on a bun, but I was blown away. I can't wait to go back and take the rest of the menu for a spin.
Head cook for The Lost Gonzo Goat Scorchers
V.P. Culinary Services Choza Del Lago
joe USER_AVATAR
joe
Pilgrim

Re: Laird's in Llano

Postby joe » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Laird's is real popular with the locals. Most folks don't want to stand in line half an hour at Coopers for lunch. Laird's also more reasonable price wise. Yep, I've had some real good Q there.
mgwerks USER_AVATAR
mgwerks
Bandolero

Postby mgwerks » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:22 pm

I'd like to try it, but it hasn't been open the times I've been through town.
Visit my Cooking Blog.

The Armada:
22.5" WSM
MES 30" shorty
42"x24" & 36"x16" stick burners
1966 CharBroil charcoal grill
Weber 18 1/2" Silver
Sam's 32-inch Stainless gas grill (it was free!)
gomer76825 USER_AVATAR
Gomer76825
Rustler

Postby Gomer76825 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:03 am

Thanks Joe, kinda that same deal in Brady with Mac's and Hard eight. the locals that know go to Mac's
Head cook for The Lost Gonzo Goat Scorchers
V.P. Culinary Services Choza Del Lago
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Lairds BBQ, Llano TX

Postby Stan41 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:41 pm

My Wife, Daughter, and I went to Llano today intending to eat at Cooper's as usual. We got there about 1:00 and the line was unbelieveably long. Longest I ever saw there. We decided to kill an hour around town and then come back. When we got back at 2:00 it was just as long as before.

So we decided to eat at Laird's BBQ. We had never eaten there and kind of wanted to try it. Big mistake! We ordered the 3 meat plate (brisket, ribs, and sausage), but they were out of ribs so we got brisket and sausage for $3.00 less. Undoubtedly the toughest BBQ I ever ate, and I have eaten some tough stuff. The sausage was OK. Not great, but OK. Unfortunately they only put 2 1/4 inches of it on each plate. Beans were OK and potato salad was as usual for the stuff that comes out of a carton from the food supply company. Wife and Daughter didn't eat their brisket. Wrapped it up in foil to take home for the dog.

Next time if I can't eat at Cooper's I'll just go to Dairy Queen.

Stan
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
joe USER_AVATAR
joe
Pilgrim

Re: Llano trip

Postby joe » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:32 pm

Most BBQ joints have a bad day or a bad brisket sometimes, including Coopers. Most of them cook by time or internal temp only. Any reader of this forum knows you must use the poke test to determine if a brisket is done. But nether one of them have much smoke flavour IMHO. The only good brisket in Llano comes from a taco stand just east of Coopers. Yep, it's a food trailer. Ortega Tacos. They call it a brisket fajita plate. Whatever you call it, it's some really good smoky brisket. Sometimes I get some and make BBQ sandwiches. Much better than Coopers.
davidtxs USER_AVATAR
Davidtxs
Bandolero

Postby Davidtxs » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Stan41 wrote:My Wife, Daughter, and I went to Llano today intending to eat at Cooper's as usual. We got there about 1:00 and the line was unbelieveably long. Longest I ever saw there. We decided to kill an hour around town and then come back. When we got back at 2:00 it was just as long as before.

So we decided to eat at Laird's BBQ. We had never eaten there and kind of wanted to try it. Big mistake! We ordered the 3 meat plate (brisket, ribs, and sausage), but they were out of ribs so we got brisket and sausage for $3.00 less. Undoubtedly the toughest BBQ I ever ate, and I have eaten some tough stuff. The sausage was OK. Not great, but OK. Unfortunately they only put 2 1/4 inches of it on each plate. Beans were OK and potato salad was as usual for the stuff that comes out of a carton from the food supply company. Wife and Daughter didn't eat their brisket. Wrapped it up in foil to take home for the dog.

Stan

did the dog bite ya
When I grow up I wanna be EITHER

Jethro Gibbs thats TW0 B's Second is for
OR
Redneck Cooker "watch out Trigg"
So If any teams want a reasonable website let me know
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:17 pm

Davidtxs wrote:
Stan41 wrote:My Wife, Daughter, and I went to Llano today intending to eat at Cooper's as usual. We got there about 1:00 and the line was unbelieveably long. Longest I ever saw there. We decided to kill an hour around town and then come back. When we got back at 2:00 it was just as long as before.

Stan

did the dog bite ya

Thats funny :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:25 am

Lairds used to have a little pride in their product. Not sure what happened but was not impressed with my last visit either.

As consumers we need to learn not just to passively order & accept whatever Q even places with good reps offer up. Aaron Franklin does a great job of listening to what you want & showing you the quality of his product.
stan41 USER_AVATAR
Stan41
Bandolero

Postby Stan41 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:38 am

I have read that the Laird's bbq place is for sale. This might have something to do with their quality now. Don't know.

If I were in the business I would never serve BBQ like I got there Saturday. I would just tell the customers that I was out of brisket for that day.

I never do cause a fuss in the restaurant about any food I receive. I just prefer not to go back.

Stan
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”