Stiles Switch BBQ, Austin TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Stiles Switch BBQ, Austin TX

Postby FR8 Train » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:21 pm

I went there for lunch today and it was really good. I guess the old pitmaster from Louis Mueller is doing the cooking. Average line, only waited about ten or fifteen minutes. The atmosphere is great. Plenty of TV's running sportcenter which is always good. I just got 1/2 lb of brisket from the point, beans and potato salad. All was great. Brisket was moist and flavored good with a nice thick smoke. The meal ran me 13.50 which is pricey, but most bbq is now adays. I would definately go back. I'll try to get a pic of the brisket up.
"Sic 'em Bears"
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Re: Stiles Switch BBQ....Austin, TX

Postby FR8 Train » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:27 pm

"Sic 'em Bears"
txlnghrn USER_AVATAR
TXLNGHRN
Cowboy

Postby TXLNGHRN » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:17 pm

I went there last month. I thought it was really good. I agree a little pricey. I had a $10 beef rib....
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:08 pm

TXLNGHRN wrote:I went there last month. I thought it was really good. I agree a little pricey. I had a $10 beef rib....

I do admit I like beef ribs, but they cost so freaking much from BBQ joints nowadays. I'm glad to hear about the new joint SSB. I've heard both good and bad reports so far, so I'm guessing it is taking them a bit to get it all in order. I have found the best BBQ joints do just BBQ. Those that crossover into other foods and entertainment are usually lacking. I will admit that I'm pulling for Lance, as I thought he served some of the best BBQ when in Taylor for a while.
guitarzantx USER_AVATAR
GuitarzanTX
Pilgrim

Postby GuitarzanTX » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:06 am

I've been twice and the results were uneven. That was also the take of one of my coworkers. The brisket can be inconsistent. When my whole work crew went, there was significant differences in what we got, even though we all asked for "moist". The sausage is good, but I can find better in this area. (Central Texas. Every little town has their specialty, and my neighborhood grocery, the Minimax on Woodrow, regularly carries several excellent varieties from Taylor and other local communities.) Frankly, I found their beans to be a huge disappointment. They tasted like "husband pleasin'" ranch style beans from the can. They are a step up from the other BBQ place close to my house (Mann's). (Although Mann's beans are WAY better.) So, I'll probably give them another shot. BTW, referring to other reviews, I don't find TV screens a welcome addition to a BBQ joint. IJS.

Trivia: That location was the pool hall in the Austin-based movie "Dazed and Confused" back in the day.
Smoking:
Riley UDS

Grilling:
Charbroil Commercial Series 4-burner Propane with Rotisserie for those weeknight meals when food just needs to get on the table

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”