Schoepf's in Belton.

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

pmsummer USER_AVATAR
pmsummer
Pilgrim

Schoepf's in Belton.

Postby pmsummer » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:37 pm

Finally tried 'em out. Good ribs (Baby Back on the weekends), good Elgin sausage (not Southside Market), didn't like the looks of the brisket, so I didn't try it.

simul justus et peccator
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:49 pm

That looks purty rustic. Thanks for sharing. Whut kinda wood they using there? Oak maybe? Wonder whut they doing to make the brisket so unappetizing?

bigwheel
pmsummer USER_AVATAR
pmsummer
Pilgrim

Postby pmsummer » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:10 pm

bigwheel wrote:That looks purty rustic. Thanks for sharing. Whut kinda wood they using there? Oak maybe? Wonder whut they doing to make the brisket so unappetizing?

bigwheel

I didn't ask about their wood, as it was raining heavily, and I was hungry and late trying to get to Kyle.

The dining area itself is pretty standard smalltown BBQ.

You get your meat at the pit and take it inside for sides and drinks (no beer... Mary Hardin-Baylor is nearby, and watching).

The brisket was grey, through and through. They cut it sideways against the grain, and several little 2x3" slabs of meat that LOOKED more like Spamâ„¢ than beef brisket just wasn't something I wanted to try that day.

It's on Central Avenue about a 1/4 mile west of I-35, just north of the Killeen exit.
simul justus et peccator
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:31 pm

You ain't wrong when ya say rustic.....Thats about as rustic as I've seen since I was a kid.....Thats a pretty classic photo, suitable fer framin....
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:43 am

they use oak wood.

I like this place a lot. Not sure exactly how they are related but apparently they're connected with Coopers in Llano somehow.
paulr USER_AVATAR
Paulr
Rustler

Postby Paulr » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:32 am

Wow, that's all I can say...
We're the ribs as good as home-cooked?
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Beer Me.
Visit the new Australian BBQ Blog: http://www.aussiebbq.info/wp
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:54 pm

Hey Tex...sounds like you purty knowledgeable. Guess thats why you an exspurt on Tejas Q Joints. Can tell you didnt just fall off the turnip truck so to speak.:) Thanks for the info. Now tell me about the "other" bbq joint in Llano? Had an old county mounty stationed over in Burnet tell me Cooper's was the 2nd best bbq place in Lano. Can you shed us some light on this topic? Thanks.

bigwheel

ps..Also does Coopers foil their briskets? At whut point and do they wrap it tight or loose etc? Thanks.

Tex wrote:they use oak wood.

I like this place a lot. Not sure exactly how they are related but apparently they're connected with Coopers in Llano somehow.
tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:36 pm

well a lot of folk will argue that Llano is the BBQ Capital of TX (not Luling). With Coopers, Lairds, Inmans Kitchen & Brothers BBQ there's definitely some competition. I've only been to Coopers so far, but i hear the other 3 have some good stuff as well. My guess is that your county mounty friend was talking about Lairds. My friend Scott from DallasFood.org has a pretty good review of 3 of the places in Llano:
http://www.dallasfood.org/modules.php?n ... cle&sid=17

I've never seen foil on their brisket. they sell a ton of brisket there, so my guess is that they dont need to wrap anything just because its moving so fast.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:46 pm

Never seen foil on Coopers briskets...IMO, the brisket is the best of everything they cook.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
joe USER_AVATAR
joe
Pilgrim

Postby joe » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:49 pm

Coopers does foil their brisket. I've watched them being taken out of the cooking pits.
wilded USER_AVATAR
wilded
Wrangler

Postby wilded » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:13 pm

Coopers foils their brisket. I have seen it many times. ET
Make time for the important things in life.
http://wildedtx.blogspot.com/
tex USER_AVATAR
Tex
Wrangler

Postby Tex » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:58 pm

interesting......im gonna have to look closer next time im there. I think im too busy looking at the goodness in the warming pit to notice.
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:02 pm

Me either, I suppose I get distracted too.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:43 pm

Stopped here on my way to Waco today and got a combo plate with ribs and brisket and sides of slaw and tater salad. I thought the ribs were great, I liked the rub they used on them, very tastey. Probably the best ribs I have had from a restaurant. The brisket on the other hand was a tad dry and had NO, NONE, NADA, ZILCH smoke ring. The tater salad was top notch and the slaw was good as well. Washed it down with a sweet tea. All in all I will get a rib plate next time or try the turkey, won't go back to the brisket.

I thought with the plumes of smoke wofting from the pits outside I would get a nice smoke ring on the brisket, I was sorely mistaken. Oh well, live & learn!
Yellow Dog BBQ Team
Gator Predator
When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.
dahorns USER_AVATAR
DaHorns
Bandolero

Postby DaHorns » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:58 am

I went back yesterday afternoon on my way home from Waco. After a LONG day at work I was looking forward to some good Q. I walked in to the meat area and smoke was wofting into the area and I knew it was going to be a good day...... :wink:

I was greeted by the meat cutter who informed me that they were out of brisket, kind of disappointed by I would survive. I ordered the rib plate and he cut me off 3 NICE pork ribs. I thought that was going to be enough but I decided to look into the pit a saw a pork chop with my name written all over it. So i grabbed one of those as well, and boy am I glad I did. Then I went inside and got my sides, tater salad and some beans accompanied by a hunk of jalapeno cornbread. Folks all I can say is this was some of the best restaurant Q I have had in my life. The last time I went to this place I took the drive through and it was good, but not even close to how the food was eating inside. The ribs were great, Im not sure what the rub is that they use, seemed like basic salt & pepper. The pork chop was miost and had a GREAT flavor to it, I know what I'm getting next time!!! The sides were really good too, the tater salad seemed to be homemade none of that store bought stuff, and the beans were really pretty good as well, the jalapeno cornbead was outstanding as well with a nice dollop of butter. To top it off was a big glass of sweet tea, and I was a happy camper. If you folks get time to get to Belton, stop by and see these guys, you won't be disappointed!
Yellow Dog BBQ Team

Gator Predator

When people realize what is really important in life there will be a shortage of fishing rods.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”