New North Texas BBQ'er needs help

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Damon54
Cowboy

Re: New North Texas BBQ'er needs help

Postby Damon54 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Don't get there on a Monday at all. They are closed!
Texas300
Pilgrim

Postby Texas300 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Hey guys, I've been offline for a couple of weeks. Got a son playing college ball and focused all my attention on that.
I appreciate all the suggestions and have a couple of responses. I heard great things about Mt. Zions in Huntsville and went there with a powerful hankerin for some ribs but was disappointed at best. My wife couldn't even eat her's . Maybe caught them on a bad day.

I'm going to check out the 'Que Shack in Marlin and Stanleys in Tyler along with the Taylor Cafe in Taylor. With all the rules we have in the rib club (remember nothing within 2 counties of DFW) it puts a premium on finding good ribs within a relatively short drive. Keep sending suggestions and I will keep you posted.
Rasta
Pilgrim

Postby Rasta » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:09 pm

New place in Austin called Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew. Great beef ribs and very good pork ribs. Louie Muellers former pit man started it a few weeks ago and I made my first visit last week.
fr8 train USER_AVATAR
FR8 Train
Bandolero

Postby FR8 Train » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:46 pm

Rasta wrote:New place in Austin called Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew. Great beef ribs and very good pork ribs. Louie Muellers former pit man started it a few weeks ago and I made my first visit last week.

I'm gonna check this place out on Friday I think. I will let you know how it turns out.
"Sic 'em Bears"
texas bbq syndicate USER_AVATAR
Texas BBQ Syndicate
Wrangler

Postby Texas BBQ Syndicate » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:24 pm

atcNick wrote:Carter's BBQ in Longview.

Stanley's in Tyler, supposedly voted the best ribs in tx

-Nick

definitely Carters. It looks like it was a convenience store at one time, but now its down and dirty (not literally) all about the good Q. They are going to give original Bodacious a run for the money.
Pitmaker Safe
Pitmaker Grillmiester
Pitmaker Long Sniper
Hasty Bake Legacy
texas bbq syndicate USER_AVATAR
Texas BBQ Syndicate
Wrangler

Postby Texas BBQ Syndicate » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Aunt Jo's between Refugio and Victoria on HWY 77 south is usually consistently good. Go 59 south out of Houston, in Victoria take HWY 77 toward Refugio and they are on the left after the Colleto creek bridge. Look for the Black and white Pig on the north bound side of the road. They are only open Thursday to Sunday and they do sell out. If you ask they will sell you some rub to take home also.

Also down that way is Mcmillans in Fannin Tx. I pulled up there after 7pm and Louis Mcmillan ( the owner) was loading the pits for the next day as he had already closed for the day. I asked if he was still open, He said ' If your hungry I'll make you a plate". Now thats southern hospitality. Texas Monthly raves about Mcmillans. Honestly the 5 times I have been there, I got good Q 4 out of 5 times. And that one time was still not all that bad.

Mumfords in Victoria is very good also, but the hidden secret is that Mumfords sells packaged peanut brittle for a local church. That is some of the best peanut brittle I have had since my Grandmother passed away. I will buy about 6 and when I get back to Houston I mail 2 of to the rest of the family in Dallas.

Make a weekend out of it eat at Mumfords one day then Mcmillans, then Aunt Jo's.
Pitmaker Safe
Pitmaker Grillmiester
Pitmaker Long Sniper
Hasty Bake Legacy
texas 1836 USER_AVATAR
Texas 1836
Wrangler

Postby Texas 1836 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:08 pm

I would definitely go with Stanley's BBQ as well!

And here is something that might help you too.
http://www.dallasnews.com/travel/getawa ... orites.ece

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”