John Mueller BBQ: Austin awaits

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

John Mueller BBQ: Austin awaits

Postby eltex » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Well, for those that know his BBQ, he is coming back to business here in Austin, after a few long years away. He is scheduled to open on Monday, 9-26 down on South First Street. His old location was on the east side, on Manor road. I usually found it to be one of the best BBQ joints in central Texas, except for his last month or two, when it all went south and he lost the quality and service that made it a worthwhile trip.

One of his employs from back then was a young Aaron Franklin, who now runs one of the most famous BBQ joints in Texas, due to recent accolades from sources such as Bon Appetit magazine. While I do agree that Franklins is outstanding for both quality and atmosphere, the high prices and freakishly-long lines make it something that I won't do very often.

If Mr Mueller is serving BBQ as good as before, I think he will quickly jump back into the discussion of best BBQ in the Austin area. He will be working from a 'trailer', like most new places are now. I'm not sure why he doesn't seek to work in Taylor with his famous family of BBQ, but I am glad to have more options here in Austin. I don't know if I will make the trip on opening day, but sometime in the first week or two, I will be there in full review mode. Stay Tuned. :wink:
trainacomin USER_AVATAR
Trainacomin
Pilgrim

Re: John Mueller BBQ: Austin awaits

Postby Trainacomin » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:00 am

They tweeted yesterday that they failed inspection and won't be opening on Monday as they can't get inspected again until Tuesday. So they *might* open Tuesday if they pass inspection.

From everything I read he had a falling out with his family years ago and that would be why he opened in Austin.

Clint
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:49 pm

Yeah, I just read about the inspection too. His propane tanks were too close to the door or something. Getting some work done by Spillar to get it working. I hope it works out. I often found his BBQ to be better than the old guard in Taylor.
uttexas USER_AVATAR
uttexas
Rustler

Postby uttexas » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:17 pm

Updated facebook posting today. Got a few friends down in Austin frothing at the mouth, waiting for his doors to open.

JMueller BBQ
Hit a slight snag last week and will not be opening today... So sorry, we are looking forward to seeing everyone. The trailer is being modified to pass City of Austin Inspection right now. If we pass this week we hope to be feeding everyone next week. Will keep you posted! ~db
LSBS
22.5"WSM
18.5"WSM
Jumbo Old Smokey Charcoal Grill
BBQ Galore 3 burner
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:33 pm

yep, I've been debating trying to hit up Franklin BBQ while I await Mueller, just to have a fresh reference point in mind....ah, tough decisions.
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:29 pm

Well, he passed inspection, and is supposed to open Saturday, the 7th, right after the Tex-OU game, at 2pm. I don't think I will make it there the first day, but if you get a chance this coming week, head down to 1502 South First Street, and try some BBQ for me. Definitely get the brisket. It was what I best remember about his old place.
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:23 pm

That sounds great , looks like I will have to leave our booth at the upcoming Hog Eye Festival for a bit to make a run for JM BBQ.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:18 am

cowboydon wrote:That sounds great , looks like I will have to leave our booth at the upcoming Hog Eye Festival for a bit to make a run for JM BBQ.

Sweet. I live in Elgin, and go to the hog-eye most years. As much as I love Elgin, I must admit our BBQ is not that great. Sure, the sausage can be good, but really, sausage is like hot-dogs, kinda hard to screw up. The brisket and ribs here in Elgin are just so-so, though Crosstown BBQ was one of the top BBQ joints I ever ate, but it closed up shop a few years back.

If you are at the hog-eye, and have time, you have a few choices. You can head north on 95 to Taylor, and try both Vencil Mares and Louis Muellers, and see which you prefer. I favor Vencil right now, as hit pit boss is just running an awesome shop right now.

You can head into Austin on 290, and hit Aaron Franklins on the east side, or John Mueller on the south side. Franklins is plain awesome, but the lines of 1-2hrs get old real fast.

You can head south on the toll-road 130, and hit Smittys, Kreuz and Blacks over in Lockhart, and go a few miles further and hit City Market in Luling.

Each place has their specialties, so it's always hard to pick the best. For me, I think Vencil Mares and Aaron Franklins are the best, but I've also had some outstanding prime-rib and pork-chops in Lockhart. More than anything, many of these places have been around for years, and you get to feel some real BBQ history when visiting. I love the feeling when I walk into Smitty's, and the fire about knocks me out the door. This place was built before safety regulations were in place, and you better watch your kids to make sure they don't fall in. The newer Kreuz locale, while huge and very nicely constructed, is missing the atmosphere that is at Smittys.
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:45 pm

Cool eltex - Thanks for the suggestions, I have been to most all ecept JM and Franklins. We spend alot of time in Elgin as that is where we are going to retire too, and most all the family is in Elgin, we have a nice little spread off 1704 just past Monkey Rd. that we are getting ready. The girls also run a booth at the Downtown Harvest market on Saturdays.
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
eltex USER_AVATAR
eltex
Rustler

Postby eltex » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:07 pm

You have a place off 1704? I live just a few more miles south, closer to 969. I love it out here, but I will say, the whole fire situation this year makes you think. We got rain today, about 1.5", so that is welcome, but long-term, it's kind of scary.

Good luck at Hogeye this year. It looks like the weather is going to be pretty good, so hopefully we get lots of tourism. I know the other night, Elgin and Bastrop were both having the national night out parties going on, and another fire popped up off 95, near the fire from last month. It's like the weather is working against us in every way. We need a break.

At least with the rain today, I can finally fire up my smoker again. I figure next weekend, I will smoke a brisket, butt and some ribs. It's been about 6 months since I've felt safe enough to use it.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:19 am

This is great news because Franklins has become Mission Impossible!

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”