Katy Trail Ice House, Dallas TX

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Damon54
Cowboy

Katy Trail Ice House, Dallas TX

Postby Damon54 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:37 pm

This is a favorite watering hole of mine and on my last trip I was shocked to see a gigantic rental smoker adjacent to the massive tree covered patio of this Uptown Dallas establishment.

Apparently they had a Dallas Mayor Electoral event and the "Q"was such a runaway success That they are considering a full time cooking rig!

I hope they do it right and do not go the route of the Nodding Donkey and sub mediocrity.
n2dabluebbq USER_AVATAR
n2dabluebbq
Bandolero

Re: Katy Trail Ice House Smoker experiment

Postby n2dabluebbq » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:55 pm

newshow wrote:Honestly, The whole series of Grey's Anatomy DVD are all brilliant. And I recommend the season 7 of this show to you all. Really good, I must admit. The title of Grey’s Anatomy was intended as a pun: a reference to both Henry Gray Anatomy medical book of Gray, The Mentalist DVD and the character Meredith Grey’ Prior to broadcast, it was announced that the show’s title would changed to complications, although this. did not happen. I was a huge fan of gray of the first two seasons with the third and fourth, and lost the interest in full during the fifth and sixth season, Criminal Minds DVD seeing only the beginning and end the season of amazing seasons.An that can not be better next year. There are not many new characters this season, it is a good thing that the cast is big enough as it is, Brothers and Sisters DVD that the addition of April, I love that she was a major figure in the last season and I am happy to see her and Jackson this season I was hoping that some of my fave couple Lexi and Mark would be together, but we can still hope for both. Speaking of Marc, Bones DVD I like the fact that he and Callie had a baby, and Arizona came back. I will be pruchasing the day he leaves th rewatching the whole season again.
Buy Cheap DVD

looks like we either have a spammer a bot or a hijacked profile. all of which are not good :violent:
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:02 pm

They did indeed buy a pit/Smoker that appears to be just like the rental unit I saw.
I have heard good reports but have yet to give them a try. It is the real deal right out front of the establishment & most times has 2 guys operating it full time.

Got to be 16-18 ft long at least. Huge diameter!
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:21 am

Update,
Old folks on the other side of the Katy Trail objected to the smoke and the City of Dallas ordered the smoker removed!!
bludawg USER_AVATAR
BluDawg
Chuck Wagon

Postby BluDawg » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:56 am

Damon54 wrote:Update,
Old folks on the other side of the Katy Trail objected to the smoke and the City of Dallas ordered the smoker removed!!
Transplanted Yankees most likely :banghead:
Never met a cow I didn't like with a little salt and pepper.
My Blog: Http://acountryboyeats.blogspot.com
Old Country Over/Under
Webber 22" Performer
ECB
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:51 pm

They have not yet given up.
In fact they have moved the smoker somewhere out to the west & are
Transporting their "Q" back to uptown on the weekends.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:52 pm

It's Back! The Smoker is not yet on premise but moved close by with plans to build a legal exhaust system in the near future. What kind of people would protest the wonderful aroma from a Smoker??

http://cravedfw.com/2012/04/30/katy-tra ... -barbecue/
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:45 pm

Update 02/15,
A brand New Smoker is in place , under a roof with proper exhaust, all permitting has been complied with & passed & it will be getting seasoned over the weekend. I was told that they try and put 18 hours into a brisket but realize conditions change. Pit was welded up locally by a Father & Son team.
Last edited by Damon54 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:23 am

The Katy is a great place, but have not been since last summer, will have to check it out. Thanks for the ongoing reporting.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:56 am

Boots,
I must say that I am impressed by their commitment to the "Q"! For anyone who has never been there this place does amazing revenue without food & certainly pays the highest liquor tax in Dallas County for any single bar.

Point being is that Barbeque neither makes or breaks them and is obviously a legitimate interest of one of the managing partners. The majority of the space is an outdoor Beer Garden sitting right on the Katy Trail in the Uptown Area of Dallas.

When they describe their cooking process it is clear they have been taking notes from the techniques of the uber successful Arron Franklin.
Damon54
Cowboy

Postby Damon54 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Met the Pit Master Eduardo today as he was testing out the new unit. We had an interesting 25 minute chat. He has been in the restaurant business all his life and has high aspirations for the quality of his Barbeque he wants to produce.

He has spent significant time down in the Barbeque Belt area of South East Texas around Gonzales and Luling/Bastrop since he has Family from that part of the world.

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”