Prairie House in Ronoake

Rate the joints and share your experiences, pictures encouraged

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Prairie House in Ronoake

Postby nascarchuck » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:51 pm

We were at Cabelas today and mentioned Babes Chicken House to the guy that was helping us. He told us to forget Babes and try the Prairie House.

Not sure if I would say that this is a BBQ joint, but the sign said something about BBQ & steak.

To start things off, we ordered cheese sticks for an appetizer and they were really good. They don't have marinara sauce, but we prefer ranch anyway. There were seven to an order and they were nice and hot.

For dinner, I ordered the Texas Two Step (choice of two meats w/beans and cole slaw) I chose brisket and sausage along with the beans and substituted my cole slaw for fries. I would had liked to have seen a little more brisket on the plate, but everything that I ordered was really good. My only complaint with the food is that the BBQ sauce was a little too sweet and thick. I would had preferred that the BBQ sauce be on the side instead of on the meat. One thing that they do is put pico de gallo in the red beans. That was a great touch!

My wife ordered the baby back ribs (half rack). She substituted her cole slaw and beans for sweet potato fries and a salad. She isn't a BBQ person, but she said that she really enjoyed the ribs. I was able to talk her out of one and I thought that it was good as well. she loved the sweet potato fries! I don't care much for sweet potatoes but I tried one or two. I even thought that they were good, but I don't think that I would be able to eat a whole order of them.

Our son ordered the two step, substituting his beans for sweet potato fries and cole slaw. He enjoyed his dinner.

All in all, we thought that the food was very good!

One word of caution. If you substitute, be prepared to pay an upcharge. My wife was charge $2.75 and my son was charged $1.75. For some reason, I wasn't charged an upcharge.

Our server has friendly and efficient. She kept my glass of water full. Actually the glasses are large mason jars. I love em.

The atmosphere was nice. The tables aren't actually butted up to each other, but were really close. It was almost like you are dining with the table next to you. I noticed one wall that was just covered in old doors. Different, but pretty cool.

Looks as though they do serve adult beverages, but it says that it's a private club and you have to join it before you can purchase them.

I saw what looked to be a chicken fried steak being delivered past our table and it looked to be hanging off the sides of the plate. I know what I am getting next time we go!!! :wink:

Anyway, we gave it thumbs up. I would put this on your list of restaurants to try.

Website with menu: http://prairiehouserestaurant.com/roanoke.htm
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:18 pm

Thanks for the rating. I have heard some good things about the place. Babe's do not light my fire for some reason. I got grandchillins who can make mo betta ho made fried chicken than them. Dont even get me started on chicken fried snake. They cook that purty good too. Seems like my hot tipster said to eat that at the Prarie House. I did not even know they had bbq. I'm gonna have to get out of the house mo often. Now a place I highly reccomend is Mac's Steaks and Seafood on Hwy 121 Service road twixt Glade and Hall Johnson W. side of the road. Old boy the runs the place is one of my most favorite acquaintances. Get the Oyster Po Boy and bowl o Gumbo sometime. It will blow up your bloomers. They also have the endless Salad and Bread deal. Muy stalweener. Salad and soup combo it hard to beat for those on a budget. It just cost a buck to sub out the soup of the day for the Gumbo. I got their Gumbo recipe on file. They make the best in Foat Wuth that I have been thus far able to detect. Other stuff taint bad neither. They is a chain I think. Sure you done been there. If not..give em a try.

bigwheel
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:46 pm

The Prairie House in Crossroads is very close to where I live and I eat there quite often just because of proximity but I would not rate them high. They are OK not great. For BBQ I think that the quicky Dickeys at the gas station a mile or so west of there is better. The Prairie House chicken fried steak is good and the appetisers are pretty good.
I've eaten at Babes in Sanger a couple times and rate it good.
Also for up north BBQ Clarks in Tioga is good.
tarde venientibus ossa....
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:41 am

I have eaten at the PH at Crossroads a couple times. Had some Venison once (pretty dry) and a pretty good steak once.
Haven't tried the chicken fried steak there but doubt that's on my diet now :roll:
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36

Return to “BBQ Joints - Reviews & Discussion”