Howdee-do! From the Hill Country Texas

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Satchme
Pilgrim

Howdee-do! From the Hill Country Texas

Postby Satchme » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:54 pm

Hey guys and gals! I’m about 30mi from Waco. Just bought a Pit Boss pellet smoker. Already found great tips. Been grillin’ all my life, but dad did all the smokin’. While I absolutely love smoked meats, it was way more work than I wanted to put in it. A friend of mine just got a Traeger and asked for little help getting it going. I had no idea, but he said he really needed help. I brought my dad’s dry rub recipe for brisket, and the one for ribs. Started a midnight. Got up four hours later because we had no idea what rate the pellets are used.

It was a freakin’ revelation. Set it and forget it. So here I am. A life-long Texas looking for tips, tricks, and cheats to get get from newbie to competent in as short a time as possible.

I promise to at least try to post under the correct forum.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Howdee-do! From the Hill Country Texas

Postby Rambo » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:20 pm

Welcome to the Forum. I edited your post. We don’t even get close to anything political here
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:16 am

Howdy and Welcome to the Forum :texas: :chef: :cheers: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:16 am

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Postby Txdragon » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:18 am

Satchme wrote:Hey guys and gals! I’m about 30mi from Waco. Just bought a Pit Boss pellet smoker. Already found great tips. Been grillin’ all my life, but dad did all the smokin’. While I absolutely love smoked meats, it was way more work than I wanted to put in it. A friend of mine just got a Traeger and asked for little help getting it going. I had no idea, but he said he really needed help. I brought my dad’s dry rub recipe for brisket, and the one for ribs. Started a midnight. Got up four hours later because we had no idea what rate the pellets are used.

It was a freakin’ revelation. Set it and forget it. So here I am. A life-long Texas looking for tips, tricks, and cheats to get get from newbie to competent in as short a time as possible.

I promise to at least try to post under the correct forum.

Welcome aboard! I too just recently got a Pit Boss and love it! A couple tips, (not sure what you know or don't yet), clean it A MINIMUM of every other cook. Pellets will last a couple 8-10 hour cooks if you're cooking around 300 and below. The temp to the right side is a bit hotter than the left (at least on the Austin XL it is). Chicken cooks AMAZINGLY.. (see below)
20200602_171803.jpg

It isn't *quite* set and forget. You still have to check on it from time to time to ensure you don't get a flareup (cleaning frequently mitigates that). The P setting is less complicating than it looks.
I haven't done any low heat smoking yet, but soon.
Have fun and feel free to post pics of your cooks, we LOVE pics!!
(Insert witty signature here)
Satchme
Pilgrim

Postby Satchme » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Rambo wrote:Welcome to the Forum. I edited your post. We don’t even get close to anything political here

Are Oklahomans really that sensitive?

I probably should have said Oklahomans instead of “foreigners north of the border.”
Satchme
Pilgrim

Postby Satchme » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Thanks TxDragon. That’s the grill I picked up (Austin XL).
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:18 pm

Satchme wrote:
Rambo wrote:Welcome to the Forum. I edited your post. We don’t even get close to anything political here

Are Oklahomans really that sensitive?

I probably should have said Oklahomans instead of “foreigners north of the border.”

There are people here from all over the world. We just try to all be Brothers and Sisters here without pick'n on anybody, well, except for OUP
Satchme
Pilgrim

Postby Satchme » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:34 pm

Rambo wrote:
Satchme wrote:

There are people here from all over the world. We just try to all be Brothers and Sisters here without pick'n on anybody, well, except for OUP

Well, if you must insist. I gottta ya though, it’s gonna be tough when The State Fair comes along—if we are playing football. It’s going to be like trying to get me to use one of those super vinegary sauces like they do in Carolina. It goes against my very nature to not pick on Oklahomans. I’ll do my best cap’n!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:47 pm

Satchme wrote:
Rambo wrote:
Satchme wrote:

Well, if you must insist. I gottta ya though, it’s gonna be tough when The State Fair comes along—if we are playing football. It’s going to be like trying to get me to use one of those super vinegary sauces like they do in Carolina. It goes against my very nature to not pick on Oklahomans. I’ll do my best cap’n!

As you will find out if you hang around often, one of the Greatest Guys on this Forum is BSooner75. I'm a Longhorn fan first; my daughter is an Aggie; SIL went to NTS. as you get older you realize the things you thought were deal breakers really aren't and there are good and bad folks from all walks of life. And, if it makes you feel better, I once spit on the TV when they had Barry Switzer on there :salut:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:15 pm

Welcome from Norway. I have hardly any knowledge of the teams Rambo mentioned but I love this forum. Lots of great people here.

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:39 pm

Rambo wrote:There are people here from all over the world. We just try to all be Brothers and Sisters here without pick'n on anybody, well, except for OUP

It's when THEY quit talking aboutcha that you need to start worrying - - - "Hook'em Horns"
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:08 am

Satchme - don’t sweat it brother. I’m a cross breed anyway look forward to seeing you post your cooks and I really hope come State Fair time the world has calmed down enough that we can talk a little smack about football. Again - Welcome!

Parts / Rambo - you guys are too much. Proud to call you both friends.

Rambo - the Switzer deal must’ve been during the Darrel Royal years at UT. I wish the rivalry could get back to that, what a blast. If only I could remember where Royal played his college ball…

Smoke on folks and once again Welcome Aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:19 am

My Mom was a born and bred Okaie and I was a Longhorn Fan from the beginning thanks to my Dad. She got some tickets to the Red River Battle at the Cotton Bown one year and I can say that it was the best time of my life, even if the Horns did lose. Mom had me a shirt made that said "Mom is for OU - Hook'em Horns" - - of course we were seated on the Red and White Seats and I got plenty of "Tell your Mom we said Hi and Boomer Sooner" - - - :wav: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut: :salut:
Satchme
Pilgrim

Postby Satchme » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:04 pm

Thx bsooner, it is all in good fun—except one day a year. My girlfriend went to OSU. I actually went to Baylor (literally broke me dad’s heart).

Hey Joernolav!! Norway huh? Beautiful place and I was there in the winter. SUPER friendly people!!! A Texan in Norway during winter needs to be a sit-com. Next time I have the opportunity to go, I’m going to train to do a double marathon in the hopes I can cross-country ski for more than a kilometer. Grueling.

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”