Newbie to the Pellet Grill

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

smokealot USER_AVATAR
SmokeAlot
Pilgrim

Newbie to the Pellet Grill

Postby SmokeAlot » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:29 am

Just wanted to say hi and interested in spending some time on this forum picking up some tips. I just ordered the PG500 CookShack/Fast Eddie's pellet grill. It should be arriving before Christmas on the 22nd. I did a lot of research and seemed to have lots of good Pellet grills out there. My choice narrowed down to the Yoder 624 and the PG500. It was a tuff choice, however I decided to go with the PG500. I'm hoping I made the right decision, as everyone knows both are a pretty good investment money wise. I'm looking forward to cooking on the new pit... Again I just wanted to say Hello!!!

Ray
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Newbie to the Pellet Grill

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:46 am

Hey, Ray, Howdy :texas: and Welcome - - - even tho I've had my Pit Boss a while, I am still a beginner Pellet Poooper so make yourself at home and let's see some pics of your future cooks when you can. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Welcome aboard I think you'll like your choice, I like mine.
Make yourself @ home here.
tarde venientibus ossa....
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:47 pm

Welcome!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
smokealot USER_AVATAR
SmokeAlot
Pilgrim

Postby SmokeAlot » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks guys for the Welcome! I’m a CoonAzz living outside Paris Texas in the country... I work 28/28 out of Israel... So I’ll have plenty of time to do some slow cooking... I’m used to an offset fire box which most of the time I use charcoal with Wood chunks.... This will be a little different I guess. Hands off controlled temperatures sounds like there will be time to relax and drink a little beer with a little :happ: and enjoy the cook..... Looks like I’ll cooking a pork butt and baby backs on the 23rd... I look forward to posting some pics and talking about my 1st Pellet Poop Cookout... y’all have a Merry Christmas... :santa:
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:33 pm

One little useful tip here. When smoking on the pg 500 it is upside down.
Most pits heat from the bottom up well the right side of the PG heat goes from top down. So if you are used to putting the fat side ' tween the meat and the heat it'll go fat up....

Two for Tuesday bonus tip. The unit gives you a choice of heat areas where the grill on the left (#1) is of course the hottest and the right side smoke area (#4) is the coolest and top shelf left is #2 and top shelf right is # 3. So maybe do a chicken on #2 while a butt enjoys a #4 smoke.

Heat #1 bottom
#2 bottom
#3 left to right
#4 Top to bottom.
smokealot USER_AVATAR
SmokeAlot
Pilgrim

Postby SmokeAlot » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:03 am

Thanks for all of your tips Papa Tom.... My Pellet Guy is arriving tomorrow.... Yahoo!!!... It looks like the 1st thing I’ll be Smoking will be a Turkey for Christmas.... Do you have any tips... I’m used to Cooking with an offset Smoker using Charcoal/Wood Chunks... I wanna hit this out of the Ballpark the 1st time out.... :chef: There will be lots of judges on :santa: day.... Any help with temperatures, Timing, Should I use additional Smoke tubes.... :dont: I’m getting excited..... :cheers:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:08 am

I think you'll also find that Pellet Grills and Oink Reebz were made for each other. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:22 am

SmokeAlot wrote:Thanks for all of your tips Papa Tom.... My Pellet Guy is arriving tomorrow.... Yahoo!!!... It looks like the 1st thing I’ll be Smoking will be a Turkey for Christmas.... Do you have any tips... I’m used to Cooking with an offset Smoker using Charcoal/Wood Chunks... I wanna hit this out of the Ballpark the 1st time out.... :chef: There will be lots of judges on :santa: day.... Any help with temperatures, Timing, Should I use additional Smoke tubes.... :dont: I’m getting excited..... :cheers:

Don't overthink or overdo anything the pellet pit is easy to use and will leave you thinking you should be doing SOMETHING....don't,, let the Cookshack do the magic,

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”