Newbie from Mid-Missouri

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Newbie from Mid-Missouri

Postby Grems4Ever » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Evening everyone.

I grew up in AZ and NM and outdoor cooking was a regular thing growing up. Now that I'm all grown up, I usually use a propane grill mostly for convenience, but prefer to use wood and charcoal whenever possible as nothing can beat the flavor it gives. I didn't become familiar with smoked meats until after moving out here but have been in love with it ever since. I was given a small electric smoker that I've dabbled a bit with with mixed results. I've been eyeballing consumer level smokers for a bit, but haven't pulled the trigger due to the cost for a quality unit.

Despite being in Education for most of my working life, I have a pretty wide range of interests that has given me some pretty unusual skills and a interesting collection of stuff in my work shop. At the moment, I have a 60 gallon air tank from an old compressor, a 14" dia. x 48" steel pressure tank (water or air - not sure which), a pile of 1" x 1" square steel, some old steel driveshafts, and an urge to build an offset smoker.

I've been surfing the web looking at pictures and checking out different forums the last couple of days and stumbled across this site. The posts I've read have been helpful and encouraging so I decided to sign up. I'm looking forward to working out the fine details of this project in the next few weeks. My goal is to have it figured out and put together as the weather warms up next year.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Newbie from Mid-Missouri

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:53 pm

Howdy and Welcome :texas: :tup: I think you'll find this one of the best BBQ Forums on the Net. The members here are not only very knowledgeable but also very willing to help so just jump in and make yourself at home and BTW, we like pictures and lots of them. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:03 pm

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Welcome!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:41 am

Welcome to your new addiction. :salut: :salut:
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
Grems4Ever
Pilgrim

Postby Grems4Ever » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:35 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I'm hoping to get some pictures this weekend of what I'm starting with and to add a build thread for my many questions. I've run some numbers through Feldon's calculator so I have some idea of what direction I need to go.

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”