Smokin in Plano

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

thisside USER_AVATAR
Thisside
Pilgrim

Smokin in Plano

Postby Thisside » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 pm

After 17 years of smoking on a Brinkmann Smokin' N Pit Smoke King, which I originally bought for my Dad 20 years ago for Fathers Day, it became mine, when he passed away. It's been a champ on smoking turkeys, but briskets and ribs, I've had to cut them in half to fit in the smoker. I tried hanging ribs, but the top area of the smoker has always been a lot hotter, than the lower area. Only upgrade I've done to it was to drill a 1in hole in the charcoal pan, It has no way to regulate air intake or exhaust. Been looking at smokers for the last 8 months and wanted to keep it under a grand, at Academy, the Old Country Over and Under smoker caught my eye and I was really interested in it, till I saw the Old Country Cabinet Smoker next to it, which had thicker steel and also had hanging bars built in for smoking sausage. So, puller the trigger and brought it home last week. Now it appears that model is no longer offered on their web site, guess they discontinued it, Glad I got it when I did. Did the initial burn in last weekend, with a good coat of grape seed oil and a full bag of Kingsford. I was really surprised to see the temp up to 400 degrees in 30 min after starting it up, closed the air intake down to almost closed and temp dropped to 275 and burned 4 hours. Doing first smoke tomorrow, a whole chicken and a brisket, wish me luck. I really excited.
WP_20151225_002.jpg
WP_20131121_001.jpg
A__CE6B.jpg
I add the thermometers, rolled on a coat of High Temp Grill Rustoleum paint and Big green egg gasket material, around both doors. While loading it in the truck, I noticed none of the bottom of the rack or the bottom side cabinet, didn't had any paint on it, that's why I decided to give it a coat of paint. Don't know if the gaskets were really needed, but there on there now.
williep USER_AVATAR
Williep
Outlaw

Re: Smokin in Plano

Postby Williep » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:28 am

Welcome to the forum !!! :salut:
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Re: Smokin in Plano

Postby bsooner75 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:07 am

Howdy neighbor…welcome!