New central Texas member

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

PMK
Pilgrim

New central Texas member

Postby PMK » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:34 am

hello all,

new to the forum ... live in Georgetown but commute into Austin for my job. l was born and raised here in central Texas, married my high school sweetheart in 1978 (39 years) and settled in Gtown after college, 2 adult kids both married starting their families, currently 2 grandsons (2.5 & 1.5) and a new granddaughter (<1 month).

My dad got me started barbecuing (and cooking in general) about 55 years ago using an old family German/Dutch recipe handed down on my mom's side many generations before (I'm 5th generation Texan on my mother's side). We used open top homemade portable pits and cooked for many special events ranging from <50 people up to an estimated 10,000 during the 1960s thru the early 2000s. That recipe used a mop sauce to keep things moist and the flies off with the open pits. I occasionally give that recipe a shot from time to time to keep my roots but also like trying other methods.

I currently have a LyfeTyme double-lid offset with vertical smoker for most of my cooks around the house for family & friends. I try to keep most of my smoking old-school without all the new fangled gadgets, using charcoal as my base heat with seasoned live oak, pecan, mesquite, peach, etc. I like to try new things and different suggestions and also like coaching/mentoring others.

this is my first post but I'm sure after I read thru a bunch of the topics and posts, I might be asking some questions and offering suggestions of my own.

funny how I stumbled across the forum ... I did a Google search for food grade 55 gallon barrels (to haul water to one of my deer leases camper) and saw there was someone asking the question here around Austin. Winkley's in Liberty Hill was one of the answers given, that is only about 15 miles from my house. Decided to join since smoking is one of my passions...
txdragon USER_AVATAR
Txdragon
Deputy

Re: New central Texas member

Postby Txdragon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:37 am

Welcome aboard!
(Insert witty signature here)
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:45 am

Welcome!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:48 am

Welcome. Don't forget to post pictures of cooks.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:41 pm

Welcome and Howdy, we used to love to take the back road from Taylor to Georgetown along the San Gabriel River Bottom and, if we had time on the way home to Lampasas, we'd always drive around Georgetown and check out the old homes and stuff. :tup: :salut: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
PMK
Pilgrim

Postby PMK » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:34 pm

thanks for the welcomes!!!

yep, lots of history around Gtown ... I grew up in Burnet, as did my wife. She still has a bunch of relatives in/around Lampasas.

I'll be sure to take pictures of some of my stuff when cooking. I keep some pretty good recipes in picture form in my archives, especially when a new idea or concept.
02ebz06 USER_AVATAR
02ebz06
Cowboy

Postby 02ebz06 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:17 pm

Welcome aboard from New Mexico.
LSG 20x42 Pellet Smoker (on order), CampChef PGXXL pellet smoker, Emozione Pizza Oven, CampChef Griddle

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”