Just joined this forum and wanted to say hi

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

chinesebookie
Pilgrim

Just joined this forum and wanted to say hi

Postby chinesebookie » Tue May 02, 2017 6:27 am

Hi,

I just joined this forum because there are experts here and I can always use some help. I've barbequed/grilled for 30+ years, but only in the last year or two have I started to smoke meat.

I'ved lived in the Philippines for the last 8 years, and am having an ugly drum smoker make to my specs, so I don't have to smoke on my gas grill anymore. You have to deal with availability of just about everything but rice here. There is decent pork here, but no beef worth grilling or smoking. They harvest it too late, and the cows eat whatever they can find, so meat tastes like crap and is too tough. Some wagyu grown down in Mindanao, but very expensive.

I buy local pork, and have recently started buying half pigs to cut my own shoulder, hams and ribs. Beef, I buy from an importer, USDA Choice Brisket, Short Plate, and once or twice a year, ribeye or short loin.

I bought 500kg of local split mahogany, and a couple hundred kg of coconut charcoal. So, I'm stocked up, waiting for my drum smoker.

Has anyone cooked/smoked short plate? My first one, I got up to an internal temp of 208 after 6 1/2 hours smoking and it was still rubbery inside. I put it in the oven for two hours, and it came out OK, but a bit dry. It's OK, but I could use any tips. BTW, this is more like beef belly, not the short ribs cut. I'm going to make pastrami out of the next one, smoking after curing, and want it juicy and tender.

Thanks, David
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Just joined this forum and wanted to say hi

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 02, 2017 7:06 am

Welcome David - - - I think you'll find that we have a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable Members so post up you questions and other stuff and let's see if we can help you start smoking some great pieces. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
papa tom USER_AVATAR
Papa Tom
Deputy

Postby Papa Tom » Tue May 02, 2017 10:53 am

Welcome aboard David make yourself at home.
Wow, mahogany wood and coconut shell charcoal! Not things we see much in Texas. Everybody has coconut shell charcoal as "activated charcoal " in their water filters but that's about it not much cooking done here with it.
I am sure though that the cooking method is the same and lots of good knowledgeable folks here to help out.
tarde venientibus ossa....
tx1911 USER_AVATAR
TX1911
Deputy

Postby TX1911 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:41 pm

Welcome!
Custom 24x48 offset trailer pit
Weber Smokefire EX6
Vision B Series kamado
Race Crew Drum
castironchris USER_AVATAR
castironchris
Bandolero

Postby castironchris » Tue May 02, 2017 1:22 pm

Welcome!
Weber 22" with SlownSear
Weber Smokey Mountain 22"
cowboydon USER_AVATAR
cowboydon
Retired Lawman

Postby cowboydon » Tue May 02, 2017 1:48 pm

Welcome to the forum
CowboyDon
Garland, Texas :texas:
Check out my BBQ @
https://www.instagram.com/alltherealbbq/
alltherealbbq
grizz USER_AVATAR
Grizz
Bandolero

Postby Grizz » Tue May 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Welcome.....Don't know about the Short plate but let me know how your pork shoulder (Butt) turns out.
Jeff
GrizzlysBBQ.com

LSG Vertical Cabinet smoker
Bubbakeg (Kamado)
21" WSM

Grizzlysbbq.com

And in the end it’s not the barbecues in your life that count. It’s the life in your barbecues. – Abraham Lincoln
bbqrubs USER_AVATAR
bbqrubs
Pilgrim

Postby bbqrubs » Tue May 02, 2017 7:43 pm

welcome aboard
Sol - Proprietor of BBQRubs.com
https://www.bbqrubs.com

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”