Honu41

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:34 am

Hi Honu...welcome.

bigwheel
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:24 pm

Aloha James B, mel and bowhunter,

Mahalo for welcoming me. I been prepping food for over half a century and this is a new adventure for me. I am counting on you guys and gals for advice and know how. I have started a catering business here in WA and it is growing. So I am adding this type of cooking to the business.

I ordered one of Ritch's "backyard models" with the intent of hauling it around to my gigs in my 21 ft enclosed trailer that has my catering "stuffs'. If things work out maybe I will get a pull behind model. One of my sons has already "claimed" this new pit as his! Shucks I haven't even received it yet!!!!

I have a website: "Google" honucatering

Take care... a hui hou
honu41
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:28 pm

Hi bigwheel,

Didn't see your note so I failed to include you in the my thank you. Sorry about that...

a hui hou,
honu41
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Welcome Honu41,
Sorry for the late welcome! We look forward to your expertise as well! I like your custom of 'suck'em up!' :lol: :lol:
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:57 pm

Aloha maka`i keiki ( Hawaiian for copkid)

No worries about the "late" welcome. Hawaiian time you know... I really appreciate all the welcomes I received the last few days. I am sure you read my earlier posts and my brief background in cooking that has a void in the art and skills of bbq'ing slow with low temps. I am rarin' to go but without a proper pit I have to wait. I guess I could practice in my Weber kettle or the Brinkman to which I attached a offset firebox from another manufacturer.

I be more than happy to share my "expertise" in imu (in-ground pit) or spit roasting.

I guess the Hawaiian custom of "Suck 'em up" will work for any type of cooking no matter where you are Q'ing!

Take care... a hui hou (until da next time)
honu41
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:58 pm

Welcome aboard and post often :D Qing is sometimes very easy, sometimes very hard but always rewarding in someway. We have folks who Q professionally and folks who limit it to the backyard and many who are somewhere in between. Some with great advice, use you're own filter. In the end, it's all about the Q :D

Me, I'm just one of the hired guns here, try to keep the hombres in line :roll:

Did we mention we like pics of cooks? :wink:
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:37 pm

honu41 wrote:I am rarin' to go but without a proper pit I have to wait. I guess I could practice in my Weber kettle or the Brinkman to which I attached a offset firebox from another manufacturer.

Oh, no, we *can't* have you using your kettle. You don't want to cook thing's like this, do you? :wink:

Image Image Image Image

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic, y'all.)
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:49 pm

Hey Sandman...

I better not post any pictures of the "pits" that I have prepared hundreds of hogs for thousands of people! The kettles shown are high tech compared to the pits I have used!

You dig a hole in the ground large enough for the hog, place the hog in a chicken wire "basket", heat several hundred pounds of lava rock till they are red hot, place hot rocks in the hog's cavity, place place a 8 to 12 inch layer of crushed banana stumps, banana leaves on the rocks, place the hog and whatever other meat, add more leaves, cover with layers of wet burlap sacks, then a tarp and finally cover with dirt. Go drink beer and shoot the breeze... then dig it up after 5 hours... No need to "pull" the pork... it has collapsed and fallen into pieces within the basket.

Now you know why I need all the help from you guys and gals... ha ha

take care a hui hou,
honu41
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:43 am

I'd like a pic of "those pits" for the gallery :D See link below my signature.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
honu41
Outlaw

Postby honu41 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:07 pm

Hey DATsBBQ,

I was able to get some pix of me cooking in an "imu" (Hawaiian pit). It is a compilation of 21 pix showing highlight of the process. How do I get it to you? I can send it by e-mail then you can edit if you want. Let me know and I will send them. Mahalo
honu41

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”