J-Bar-H John

Where 'ya from? Whadda 'ya cook on? Tell us a little about yourself. Is there a bounty on your head?

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

J-Bar-H John

Postby OSD » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:24 pm

Welcome aboard :D :D Glad you found the forum :D
Jim
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:42 pm

Dittos...hearty welcome sir.

bigwheel
dj USER_AVATAR
DJ
Chuck Wagon

Postby DJ » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:45 pm

Welcome!
dj
http://djstexasstylebbq.com
Caldwell, Texas Native
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:35 pm

Welcome John! Make yourself at home!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

J-Bar-H John

Thanks guys!

Postby J-Bar-H John » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:40 pm

I guess I should introduce myself. My name is John Homrighausen from Cypress, TX. I build houses to support my BBQ habit and am working on opening a quick service restaurant in Cypress. I think I make the best darn BBQ out there and want to share it with the world. I have a catering company (www.jbarhtexasfoods.com) and we do large events for companies and churches.
I use a number of pits for my jobs, but when I cook at home I have a Texas Pitcrafters PM500U that turned me from a duffer into Tiger Woods. The first brisket I made on that thing was the best one I ever had (Still have the pictures of it) and they just got better. In some ways it is the reason I decided to do it professionally.
The Salt Lick in Driftwood makes my favorite BBQ even though it is not "Texas BBQ" and the City Market in Luling is Mecca to all devout Texas BBQers. You should always know where you are in relation to Luling and pray that direction every time you light your pit. (If you are in Luling then pray facing Lockhart.) If you haven't eaten there you need to go at least once to see how your food compares.
I look at BBQ as the ultimate comfort food that doesn't need to be "gourmet" to be good. In fact, I look very suspiciously at those who try and call BBQ gourmet (don't judge me by my website). It is like calling my old "Chucks" fine footwear. They don't need a fancy name or a new twist to be the best out there.
I don't think that sauce makes the BBQ. It is something that is served on the side to add to the meal to be sopped up with a piece of bread. If you need sauce to get your BBQ down then you need to work on your technique.
I don't think the rub makes the BBQ. For the most part rubs reside on the bark and never make it into the meat. They add a nice layer of complexity to a small part of the meat. I have eaten and made brisket with salt and pepper added right before it went on the pit that was fantastic.
I think meat, wood, time and patience make good BBQ. If you get those things in the right proportion everything else will fall in line. Kind of like a golf swing. Get the basic swing down before you try and trick out your game.
Use the best tools you can afford and learn to sharpen a knife and manage a fire. Learn about the science behind food and it will make you a better cook. Learn about food safety so that you can bring your food to as many people as you can. Buy a bag of hickory, pecan, mesquite, oak and fruitwoods and learn about how they taste and what they bring to the party. Understand why your food tastes the way it does before you tweak it.
If you have one book on your nightstand it should be the Holy Bible. If you have two it should be the Bible and the Jamison's "Smoke and Spice." Everything you need to know in life is in those two books.
So that is probably an obnoxious self introduction. I am passionate about BBQ and am excited to be around others who feel the same way. I guess I am kind of a geek when it comes to cooking so please bear with me.
You are more than welcome to disagree with anything I have laid out in this diatribe, just let me know.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:56 pm

welcome aboard! glad to have a veteran Q'r on the forum!
copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:17 pm

Welcome! I loved the speech! More! More!!!
Laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:25 pm

welcome I think you just might fit right in here
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:20 pm

Amen brother. Welcome aboard.
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:20 pm

Sounds good. Now I got an eldest male chile who is in the wholesale food bidness and he say the heart breakers is for folks such as you intend to be to sink a bunch of money into the food industry...and then 99.99999 percent goes broke and has to spend their old age as door greeters at Wally World. Guess whut I am trying to say is dont quit your day job and dont spend no retirement funds on this deal. If you a fat cat looking for a tax break...go for it by all means. Just trying to help cover all the bases here.

bigwheel
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:05 am

Welcome John
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
J-Bar-H John

Door Greeters are People Too!

Postby J-Bar-H John » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks for the advice bigwheel. What you lack in good grammar and coherance, you make up for in sound fatherly advice.
Not a fat cat. Started Q'ing for church functions and was asked to cater big events for companies areound town (500-2000 person barbeques) and got hooked. Going to start small with a trailer on the weekends and see if there is a retail business in there somewhere. Thanks for the tip and I will make sure I have a resume on file at the 'Mart.
chilefarmer USER_AVATAR
ChileFarmer
Forum Star

Postby ChileFarmer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:55 pm

John, welcome to the forum.
Follow your dream, if you don't you will never know. Beats wondering. CF
OK, get over it, you lost. God bless America

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee175/ChileFarmer" target="_blank
Lots of Sub folders to.

http://curingandsmoking.blogspot.com/" target="_blank
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Re: Thanks guys!

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:42 am

J-Bar-H John wrote:Tthe City Market in Luling is Mecca to all devout Texas BBQers. You should always know where you are in relation to Luling and pray that direction every time you light your pit. (If you are in Luling then pray facing Lockhart.)

I thought it was Houston :shock: :lol: :wink:
Welcome aboard :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
antaean7 USER_AVATAR
antaean7
Cowboy

Postby antaean7 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:06 am

welcome aboard, great introduction !!!!!!!

Return to “WANTED POSTERS - New Member Introductions”