Sportsmanship

Put your funniest internet jokes + anything that pokes fun at Bubbas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Sportsmanship

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:41 pm

At one point during a game, the coach called one of his 9-year-old baseball players aside
And asked, "Do you understand what cooperation is? What a team is?"
"Yes, coach", replied the little boy. "
Do you understand that what matters is whether we win or lose together as a team?"
The little boy nodded in the affirmative.
"So," the coach continued, "I'm sure you know, when an out is called, you shouldn't argue,
curse the umpire, or call him a Blind idiot. Do you understand all that?"
Again, the little boy nodded in the affirmative.
The coach continued, "And when I take you out of the game so that another boy gets a chance to play,
it's not a stupid decision or that the coach is a raving maniac is it?"
"No, coach."
"Good", said the coach. "Now go over there and explain all that to your grandmother.”
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Re: Sportsmanship

Postby Norway Joe » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:17 pm

Very funny and spot on but actually with serious undertones.

It relates to some parents too. I've seen so many idiots along the track, field or the biathlon shooting range that nothing surprises me anymore.

In most sports here we do not range the results in competitions before the kids are twelve years old.
It's a very big focus on keeping the kids in the sport as long as possible. It should be fun and room for everyone. This makes sure we have a lot more athletes in the older groups than many of the countries we compete with. Just because it's fun they stay there. It increases the chance that one or more will succeed since we have more to choose from.

Having rabid parents nearby can destroy the fun for a kid with little self esteem. One that one day actually may be a winner if given time. It's said that independent of the sport you need about 10.000 hours of practice to be able to compete with the world's best.

As one of our best biathlon athletes once said: when he competed in the 14 years class he was far behind the winner. When he congratulates the winner on the podium he realizes he has a mustache. He didn't see him in the 16 years and up. Point is kids develop physics very different and you can't always spot who will be a winner before late. At least in endurance sports.

They are encouraged to do different sports simultaneously to develop physics and body control. Specializing often doesn't happen before 17 years class.

Sorry for the long post.

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:47 pm

Indeed Spot On - - - I refused to play "Little League" because of having to listen to Parents and Grandparents screaming and hollering. I also discouraged my two sons from playing "It". They never missed it and neither did I. :dont: :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:33 pm

My wife used to be president of a softball club here many years ago, she came home from a meeting and said they had trouble finding a coach for the under 15 boys team last two coaches only lasted weeks. I love a challenge so said I'd coach them, so a few days befor practice I rang them all and said a day and time at club rooms for practice. Practice day and three boys turned up, after 15 mins I knew no one else was coming so I told them to get in the back of my truck, I took them to McDonald's and said order whatever you want. Guess how many I had at practice the next week? All 12 of them, from then on we got on well, went from hadn't won a game to third in the competition that year. After 25 years I'm still,in touch with most of them. Through faeces book.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:50 pm

WOW Pardnah, you paid your amateur Team to get them to Play ?????
Do you know that they could have been classified as Professionals and forced into the Major Leagues :?:
ROFL.gif
ROFL.gif (25.96 KiB) Viewed 2624 times
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:22 pm

That’s funny.

Some of the adults can flat ruin it for the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:21 am

I coached Boots Jr’s slow pitch Little League team one year, probably 8 or 9 year olds (I was the last man on the call list for the team of scrubs that weren’t already on a team. Yep, I’m a sucker). We had next to no natural talents so I just tried to make it fun every game. Told all the parents that every kid would play every game and rotate thru every position and if anybody argued with me I was gonna make them the Coach. That worked great. Bought a couple boxes of balls and painted them gold and every game, 3 kids got an “MVP” award for the Slugger, the Golden Glove, and... drum roll... The Iron Man. The Iron Man always went to the kid with the least talent who tried the hardest every game, because you can’t coach talent but boy you can sure coach motivation. Never failed, every time I gave a kid an Iron Man, they played harder and improved the next game. I didn’t realize that when I first started doing it, but it showed me that a kid can teach an old guy something if they will listen and watch.

Had one fat kid on the team, we’ll call him Dunkin Donuts fer anonymity, no talent and no effort, couldn’t catch a cold and the only thing he’d ever hit was the buffet line at Luby’s. Twisted my brain on how to reach into his head, figured I could try anything, so I made him the catcher, padded him from head to toe including a helmet and mask. Told him he was going to be the most important player on the team and was gonna play Backstop (absolutely true, no BS). Like I said, he couldn’t catch a cold but he was about 3 feet wide and 3 feet tall so the dimensions were perfect. Told him to try his best and if anything hurt through all that padding, tell me and I’d figure something else out. He played all game, probably caught two pitches and got shelled by the rest. Took so many in the mask it sounded like a hail storm on a chicken coop. End of the 3rd inning the Dad walks over to the dugout, this little skinny guy (Junior evidently took after Mom’s side, who must’ve owned a whole chain of fried chicken shacks). I figure Dad is going to lay into me for beaning Junior incessantly, and I’m already feeling guilty about it. I says, “Sir, I’m real sorry about shelling Junior, maybe this wasn’t the best idea.” He looks me in the eye with a big toothy grin. “THIS IS SO GREAT!”, says he. “My son has never done anything physical in his life! I can’t even get him off the couch. Yer doin’ great COACH!”. And he trots back up the stands to his wife, the former Miss Michelin Tires 1990.

I was a bit gobsmacked and it threw my concentration off. My side goes down on the next at-bat 1-2-3 like new mown hay, and I’m back on the mound. First pitch is my patented 20 mph Screwball, and sure enough, I bounce it right off ‘ol Donut’s cabeza for high Ball One. He doesn’t flinch - though I’m not entirely sure he was capable. Dad jumps up and hollers “WAY TO GO SON! STAND IN THERE!”. The other parents look at him like he’s a space alien. This went on for 5 whole innings (my rag arms actually run ruled the other side, I seem to recall their name was the Fallen Sox or something, they were even worse than us). Big team celebration, even my right fielder who spent most games chasing butterflies or rolling in the mud or probing the depths of his sinus cavity with his index finger decided he was happy too (coulda been the three juice boxes he pumped down). And so it’s time for team awards...

“And the Iron Man goes to... Dunkin Donuts!”. The look on the kid’s face was priceless, he grinned like a split basketball. Talk about a happy family, Skinny Donuts told Momma and the 4 kids that he was so proud of Dunkin that he was takin them all over to the Pluck a Cluck fer the 20 piece bucket. I went home a happy man too, felt like I actually had made a contribution to the advancement of humanity by tenderizing a kid with baseballs all afternoon, plus Boots Jr. went 3 fer 3 with a double and 2 RBIs. His glove had a hole in it but the little man could hit.

Next game, I limp out of the dugout with the lineup. “Dunkin, I’m putting you at First Base today to get some experience”.

He looks at me in horror, you woulda thought I had murdered his hamster with a lemon peeler. “NO COACH! I WANNA PLAY BACKSTOP!!!”

I just know if I ever get to the Pearly Gates, I am going to have SO MUCH ‘splaining to do. I hope St. Peter likes Shiner Bock.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:45 am

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
One of your absolute very best, Sir Boots :salut:

applauding3.gif
applauding3.gif (173.22 KiB) Viewed 2587 times

Return to “Those Funny Cowboys”