To Those of Us Born 1925~1955

Put your funniest internet jokes + anything that pokes fun at Bubbas.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

captjack USER_AVATAR
CaptJack
Outlaw

Postby CaptJack » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:37 am

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE 1930’s, 40’s, and 50’s !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who may have smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then, after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets, and, when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps, not helmets, on our heads.

As infants and children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tires and sometimes no brakes..

Riding in the back of a pick-up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle, and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter, and bacon.

We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar.

And we weren't overweight - WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the street lights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day ... and, we were OKAY.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.

After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play Stations, Nintendos and X-boxes.

There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVDs, no surround-sound or CDs, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.

WE HAD FRIENDS And we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits from those accidents.

We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, and no one would call child services to report abuse.

We ate worms, and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, 22 rifles for our 12th, rode horses, made up games with sticks and tennis balls, and, although we were told it would happen - we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just Walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.

Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent Bailing us out If we broke the law was unheard of ... They actually sided with the law!

These generations have Produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers, and inventors ever.

The past 60 to 85 years have seen an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are One of those born between 1925-1955, CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids, so they will know how brave and lucky their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it ?
22"OldSmokey • 2-burner gasser with GrillGrates
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: To Those of Us Born 1925~1955

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:46 am

I told Sherry just yesterday that we were sooooooo fortunate to have grown up during the time we did - - - - was it easy? - - - - nope but what an education and foundation to live by . Makes me wanna crack my knuckles, swallow some chewing gum and open an umbrella in the house.

thanks, Capt'n, I feel so much better now :bow: :salut: :flag: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:04 pm

I'm just 2 years out of your time frame. but it all still applies.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:25 pm

I was born in '79, but grew up in rural Arkansas. Many of these still applied in my days. :)
Josh
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:57 pm

CaptJack wrote:We would get spankings with wooden spoons, switches, ping-pong paddles, or just a bare hand, and no one would call child services to report abuse.

And Limbs from an Oleander Bush - - - with so many of us, I wonder how that Oleander survived - - - but it did and with lots of Love afterwards. :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm 2 years out as well, 1957, but those things applied, we got the dog collar on the legs if we stepped out of line. I was lucky, my cousins got the jug cord. Sent out to work 6 weeks shy of my 15th birthday. Never did me any harm, I've never been out of work, except I took 3 weeks off between jobs, I just finished a 10 year Job doing 12 hr days. All my kids have a strong work ethic as well.
Time spent playing in creeks and climbing trees. Kids have no idea now.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Funny Story, if I may?

Back around 1956 when I was a scrapin teenager, my little brother and I were ruff housing in the living room. Mom had been telling us to quit but we weren't paying much attention (at the time). About that time my little brother started whinning and here comes Mom with a wire fly swatter swinging. I grabbed her wrists as she tried to swing and she couldn't. THEN SHE STOPPED AND LOOKED ME IN THE EYE - - - - I'll never forget her words - - - "YOU ARE HURTING ME" :shock: It was like a Lightning Bolt and I thought "OMG, I have hurt my Mom, I"m as good as Dead" - - - then I released her wrist and just stood there. She then proceeded to walk around me several times with that wire fly swatter, swatting me from my ankles to my shoulders saying "DON'T - - - YOU - - - EVER - - - HURT - - - YOUR - - - MOTHER - - - AGAIN" She then walked over the the garbage can and dropped the poor deceased fly swatter in. By that time it looked like a pretzel. Then I had this chilling thought "my Dad will be in from his evening shift around 11 PM. "I AM DEAD"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Great story oup, we had fly swats too, but plastic,lol. I don't ever recall scraping or fighting with my 2 brothers. Mum always had our respect. Did you get a swish from your dad as well?

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:10 am

After y'alls time but Boots Sr was a Depression kid and ex fighter pilot from the 40s so I got the same rules you did. Around age 18, stayed out late one Friday night with my hooligan friends drinking Hi Life's round a bonfire. Next mornin I expected to sleep in. NOT. Dad walks in at 6, rolls me outta the rack, says it's "time fer breakfast". I stumble downstairs into a kitchen chair. He slaps a plate down in front of me: Half cooked runny eggs, limp rubbery bacon, and orange juice. "Clean yer plate, we got work to do".

Stumbled outside, it's August in Southeast Texas, 1980 (some probably remember that particular summer well), 90 degrees at 7AM headed uphill to 104 by afternoon, 90% humidity. Walked down into the pasture, which is coastal over thick grey clay. "Take this", sez he, and hands me a knucklebuster posthole digger. An hour in, I am sweating buckets, after 2, I am hallucinating and seeing little leprechauns and such. 3 hours in, I might as well be Gunga Din out in the Punjab, muttering only gibberish and tightening my belt to keep my pants up, as I have long since stomach-mulched all the grass with half processed eggs, rubber bacon, and stale beer.

The Old Man never said a word. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Morale of the story? "Many a well-earned lesson was learned at the end of a hoe" as the saying goes.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
outlaw USER_AVATAR
outlaw
Outlaw

Postby outlaw » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:34 am

Great stories guys. I love stuff like this. The only story I want to share is how discipline was meted out at our house. I can't recall my Mom ever spanking me past the age of 5 or 6. It always came down to "Go to your room and wait till your Dad gets home". I loved both my parents deeply but my Dad was very strict. We lived in the country and could hear his pickup coming from about a mile away. We would always run to greet him when he pulled into the drive to tell him about our day, except on the days when I was sent to my room to wait. Didn't have cell phones then, but he would always have advance notice about my misbehaving before he even got into the house. It didn't always come down to the belt, but the wait was worse than the whipping.
Bayou Classic Ceramic
PK (Portable Kitchen) Grill
Johnsons Ultimate Compact Patio Smoker
Yoder YS640 Pellet Grill
jwh USER_AVATAR
jwh
Cowboy

Postby jwh » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:02 am

outlaw wrote:Great stories guys. I love stuff like this. The only story I want to share is how discipline was meted out at our house. I can't recall my Mom ever spanking me past the age of 5 or 6. It always came down to "Go to your room and wait till your Dad gets home". I loved both my parents deeply but my Dad was very strict. We lived in the country and could hear his pickup coming from about a mile away. We would always run to greet him when he pulled into the drive to tell him about our day, except on the days when I was sent to my room to wait. Didn't have cell phones then, but he would always have advance notice about my misbehaving before he even got into the house. It didn't always come down to the belt, but the wait was worse than the whipping.

I was not a part of y'all's generation, but share with you many of the aforementioned circumstances while growing up. My brother and I received "whoopin's" fairly regularly as needed, and there were escalations. We didn't much care for a whoopin' from Mama, but it wasn't fierce. However, when we were threatened with Daddy's "black belt," O! the fear! The black belt and him who wielded it was many a time a great deterrent, and most of the time, a great corrective. I cannot be thankful enough for the care my dear old Mom and Dad took in correcting us, loving us enough not to sit back and allow us to turn into future ax-murderers (that's what I call the toddlers, children, and teenagers I hear/see/observe talking back to their parents in public, or disobeying direct commands with no fear of reprisal, etc.). Anything less is truly hatred.
Josh
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:06 am

thanks for sharing, Gentlemen :tup: :salut: Russ, I don't think my Mom ever told my Dad :whiteflag:
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:29 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:thanks for sharing, Gentlemen :tup: :salut: Russ, I don't think my Mom ever told my Dad :whiteflag:

Lol, maybe I was lucky not having a dad growing up, no belt, just mum and the dog collar,lol. I only remember smacking my daughter around the backside once in her early teens. And worse I did to my son was bail him up around the neck when he was in his teens as well. Never had any trouble again.

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

Return to “Those Funny Cowboys”