Where to Live?

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Where to Live?

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:20 pm

The Mrs and myself are looking to spend our winters in a warmer climate than we have here in Colorado. Kinda of a snow bird thing only we're not old enough to retire. She wants a small town atmosphere, driving distance to a "decent" sized city and not too hot. I want to get away from ice & snow, and since I make my living in real estate, an area where cows don't outnumber people. Cow's don't buy or sell too many houses :lol:

Anyway, BW suggested Alpine Texas. Wife thinks it too secluded and too far south. Thanks BW for the suggestion though. Any of you native Texans have any ideas?

Oh, and she doesn't want to smell refineries. :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:27 pm

Anything Between Austin and San Antoino and due west (AKA Marble Falls...etc) of there is really nice. I think the real estate does pretty good out around there too (any locals?). Best thing is that you will be in the heart of BBQ country!
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
chris r USER_AVATAR
Chris R
Pilgrim

Postby Chris R » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:23 pm

Did you ever think about arizona? My aunt lives in tuson an says the winters are very nice not cold at all. A few years ago my family and I were in flagstaff az during the summer and it was much nicer that the humid summers I have here. But I was told that the winter can get cold.

Chris
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Don't know if Corpus Christi or Galveston are too close to the refineries for her, but both are really nice cities. I know that CC has alot of "snowbirds".

Gator suggested the "hill country". That is beautiful country!
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:36 pm

Chris R wrote:Did you ever think about arizona? My aunt lives in tuson an says the winters are very nice not cold at all. A few years ago my family and I were in flagstaff az during the summer and it was much nicer that the humid summers I have here. But I was told that the winter can get cold.

Chris

It hasn't been ruled out. My dad lives in Phoenix-too hot for me! Flagstaff, Chino Valley, Prescot all look good but the whole area is getting pretty densely poplulated unless you get west of Flagstaff but most of those places are off the grid.

AZ or TX don't have license recongotion agreements with Colorado. So getting an AZ RE license is a little messy, but not impossible - Not that Texas will be a piece of cake either. Now New Mexico it is about as hard as filling out a form and sending a check.
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:39 pm

Chris R wrote:Did you ever think about arizona? My aunt lives in tuson an says the winters are very nice not cold at all. A few years ago my family and I were in flagstaff az during the summer and it was much nicer that the humid summers I have here. But I was told that the winter can get cold.

Chris

Nothin against Texas, but I like Arizona myself.....get yourself in the right area not too cold, not too hot. You got some mountains for scenery, sounds nice to me
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:16 pm

nascarchuck wrote:Don't know if Corpus Christi or Galveston are too close to the refineries for her, but both are really nice cities. I know that CC has alot of "snowbirds".

Gator suggested the "hill country". That is beautiful country!

She says too close.
Deputy Dave

LOW-n-SLOW
Pilgrim

Postby LOW-n-SLOW » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:24 pm

I live in North Texas just about an hour north of Dallas. Personally I hate it, and as soon as my wife finishes her masters degree we are moving west. Too dadgum many people here for my liking. But I have to say the area does sound like what you are looking for. the real estate market is booming. We are the fastest growing county in the US, but on the outskirts there are still small farming communities that are ok to live in.

I just would rather see more deer and cattle than people.
hof USER_AVATAR
HOF
Rustler

Postby HOF » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:31 pm

Sounds like you need to visit East Texas.

Perfect place to winter. Mild winter and great folks. The town has everything you'd find in a big city but with a real small town feel. You owe to yourself check it out if you're serious.
My greatest fear is when I die my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:28 am

HOF wrote:Sounds like you need to visit East Texas.

Perfect place to winter. Mild winter and great folks. The town has everything you'd find in a big city but with a real small town feel. You owe to yourself check it out if you're serious.

Is that the name of the town or a region?
Deputy Dave

Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:41 am

Dats,

I'd like to throw Florida into the mix. I lived in Orlando for 20 years before moving up here and the Winters were the greatest. High humidity and heat is pretty bad during April through August but the rest of the year is great. Central Florida has gotten quite crowded over the years though and the real estate market there is always hot because of the influx of people from the rest of the country. Just food for thought..
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:51 am

Bill, I'll run it by the Mrs. I've never been to Florida, spent 2 -3 months at Ft Gordon in GA back in the mid 80s. Never seen so much rain, even in Okinawa.

When researching your neighbors to the North (for RE Licences laws), I picked on a uncurrent of policy that suggests they don't like Florida very much :shock: at least when it comes to license recongition.

Banana boats, bikini clad babes, Co-eds, don't see anything so far the Mrs would have a problem with :lol:
Deputy Dave

Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:00 am

Make that April through September. The later part of October starts to give you a break.. Getting a license there is pretty easy Dats. They have 6 week courses and 1 week courses (8 hours a day) if you need to take one and there are always several classes being offered in the area. As I recall, they only offer the test a couple/3 times a month though..

I loved it there. The reasons we left were family and schools. My wife grew up here and she had been wanting to move back to the area for several years. She's a registered nurse so work was no problem. Schools .. Florida has some of the worst in the nation and NY has much better. We moved 1 year before our oldest started. Good luck in your search.

Bill
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:34 am

Bill wrote:Make that April through September. The later part of October starts to give you a break.. Getting a license there is pretty easy Dats. They have 6 week courses and 1 week courses (8 hours a day) if you need to take one and there are always several classes being offered in the area. As I recall, they only offer the test a couple/3 times a month though..

I loved it there. The reasons we left were family and schools. My wife grew up here and she had been wanting to move back to the area for several years. She's a registered nurse so work was no problem. Schools .. Florida has some of the worst in the nation and NY has much better. We moved 1 year before our oldest started. Good luck in your search.

Bill

There in lies the rub. Right now I hold an Employing Brokers License (highest you can get) and have had more classes than I care to count. The Mrs also has a Brokers License (a Broker's is higher than a Sales Agent). With NM & GA all we would have to do is send a check along with a some minor paper work. AZ & TX would wants copies of all education (Certification of Completion), then someone there figures out which classes count and which one don't, send back a letter saying where you stand and then you got to take those particular classes and then you have to test. In NC, it's a little simplier in that you just have to pass the state portion of the test. I'll look into what the FL requirement is. Now NV and CA, just forget about it. Have to start from scratch.
Deputy Dave

Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:54 pm

DATsBBQ wrote:
Bill wrote:Make that April through September. The later part of October starts to give you a break.. Getting a license there is pretty easy Dats. They have 6 week courses and 1 week courses (8 hours a day) if you need to take one and there are always several classes being offered in the area. As I recall, they only offer the test a couple/3 times a month though..

Bill

There in lies the rub. Right now I hold an Employing Brokers License (highest you can get) and have had more classes than I care to count. The Mrs also has a Brokers License (a Broker's is higher than a Sales Agent). With NM & GA all we would have to do is send a check along with a some minor paper work. AZ & TX would wants copies of all education (Certification of Completion), then someone there figures out which classes count and which one don't, send back a letter saying where you stand and then you got to take those particular classes and then you have to test. In NC, it's a little simplier in that you just have to pass the state portion of the test. I'll look into what the FL requirement is. Now NV and CA, just forget about it. Have to start from scratch.

Looks like you're in luck. Notice the "NOTE" under Real Estate Associate item #3.

FREC

Don't get much easier than that..

Return to “General Discussion”