Help with a search

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Help with a search

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:08 am

Man, this is waaaaay off topic, but I need some help. I have tried google, but I just can't seem to find what I am looking for.

I need to find out laws in the State of Texas regarding sex offenders.

I was looking online and it seems that we have a registered sex offender that lives 2 houses from the elementary school around the corner from my house.

I am thinking that they can't live within 1,000 feet of a school, but I can't confirm this online.

Any suggestions on where I can find this law?
Chuck

http://cookinwithchuck.blogspot.com - Updated 01/10/10

copkid USER_AVATAR
copkid
Chuck Wagon

Postby copkid » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:33 am

Just call your local police station and ask.
laura
Laura

In Valor, There is Hope
-Tacitus

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulders, and your hand over my mouth!
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:00 am

nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:40 pm

Steer Crazy - I already have the info that your link provides (and I got it free! :wink: ) I know for a fact that a registered sex offender lives 2 doors from the school. He is even listed with the county tax assprasial as the owner of the propertry.

Laura - I started to email the PD with that question, but I don't want to give them a clue that I am about to question why he lives there.

I am wanting to find the actual law that says sex offenders have to live at least 1,000 feet from a school and/or school bus stop. Then I am going to quote the statute to the PD and ask why he lives there.
Chuck

mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:03 pm

if he ownd the property prior to I'm not sure if thay can make him move is that not creepy. but you should be able to fiend out if you call your local cop shop.
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:53 pm

Normally I can decipher stuff like this fairly easily. This law is hard though.

It seems that the "child safety zone" is set on a case by case basis. The status on this guy shows "dismissed" on a charge of "Aggravated Sexual Assault Child".

I am going to email the Police Chief in the morning when I get home and ask what is going on with this guy.
Chuck

big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:41 am

I tried finding it and I couldn't. I know around here a sex offender cannot live within 1000 feet of the school.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:11 am

Why not just knock on his door and ask him yourself?? :shock: :dshock:
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:24 pm

Well, the Police Chief forwarded my email to our crime preventi9n officer and here was her reply...

Hi Chuck,

I hope you are doing well. We are aware of the sex offender at that location. He does not have boundary restrictions connected to his offense. Restrictions are set on a case by case basis at the time of probation or parole. They are set with consideration of offense date, type, and risk level.

Please feel free to call me with any other questions.

To me, Aggravated Sexual Assault on a Child is a pretty serious offense. I wonder why there are no restrictions...

This world is crazy!
Chuck

osd USER_AVATAR
OSD
Retired Lawman

Postby OSD » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:58 pm

It shows that way because he was never convicted of any charges. Arrested but never charged. case was dropped for any number of reasons after it was investigated. But, the arrest will show forever. It could have been a case like the example you used in the other thread. This is what I was talking about in the other thread. Sad part is that arrest will always show even if charges were dropped because they were unfounded.
Jim
tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:19 am

Chuck, it sounds like this individual isn't considered a serious threat to repeat. I'm not saying he won't, but there's not much anyone can do unles he offends again. And sometimes silly crimes get lumped in with serious sounding charges. Indecent exposure can mean flashing an elementary school or being too drunk to get to the outhouse.

My BIL has dealt with false accusations.

He has a step-daughter who made accusations against him while he was dating her mother. Nothing came of it for him, but it just showed how you have to be very careful. An unfounded accusation can ruin your carreer.

No, I'm not saying we have to go lightly. I *am* saying we need to remember "innocent until proven guilty". Steve has been tarred because of a spiteful child, which also makes any stories from *real* victims less likely to be believed.

And Steve still married this girl's mom. Not the smartest of moves.
Rob - TX Sandman
Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."
Steven Raichlen
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:40 am

Rob, I hear ya...

I understand and have spoken with my wife about the charges that have been blown out of porportion.

I could be wrong here, but Aggravated Sexual Assault on a Child sounds to me like there would be touching involved. That would be much tougher to mistake than say walking past a bedroom window that was open in your birthday suit and someone outside sees that.

I realize that someone could make a false claim, but I would think that if they found the charges were false, that he wouldn't be considered a sexual offender at that point.

But again, he could be as innocent as can be and it's just the way the justice system works.

I just wanted to hear from the PD and make sure that everything is on the up and up with him and I am satisfied with their reply.

Anyway, how the heck are ya Rob??? Glad to see you are on here!
Chuck

tx sandman USER_AVATAR
TX Sandman
Outlaw

Postby TX Sandman » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:07 am

Me, I'm doing alright. I've had about 12 hours of sleep in the last 94 hours, though, so I'm feeling it.

I agree the charge sounds serious. What you oughta do is email the PD again and find out what that charge exactly means. Maybe not specific actions, but is it touching, etc. Also, if the "dismissed charges" status means he still shows up as an offender, or if that's only for convicted offenders. And since the email said to feel free to call with any concerns. . . .
Rob - TX Sandman

Midnight Blue Smokers BBQ Team

"...grilling is fun and tasty, but it isn't brain surgery and the patient won't die if you mess up."

Steven Raichlen
nascarchuck USER_AVATAR
nascarchuck
Retired Lawman

Postby nascarchuck » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:15 am

Good idea...

I may do that in the moring when I get home if I don't fall asleep first. I hear ya. I'm beat also...
Chuck

Return to “General Discussion”