War Stories

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:15 pm

I was stationed at Hessisch-Oldendorf about 30 km south of Hannover. I was only there for about 16 months before they closed the unit. Germany sure was a good time though.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
bigwheel
Outlaw

Postby bigwheel » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:26 pm

Well since yall on the topic of da Fadderland here...will tell ya my oldest biological type grandson now 16 was borned in Meinze (sic). His dumb daddy..now one of my numberous ex-son in laws was stationed over there as a tank mechanic. He worked on Bradley moving troop targets or tanks something like that. Safest place for the troops was to ride on top so suspect it was the Bradley. Anyway his unique grandpa (wardens step daddy) dubbed him a nickname of "kraut" when he was about a month old. He still answers to the name if you want to use it. Very interested in the country of his birth for some reason. Belongs to the German Club at his high screwl and always trying to get me to whup him up some brats for the annual party they have. I just usually toss in a pack of Johnsonvilles. He speaky the language purty good after two years of classes. Guess the place of birth do have influence on some folks even though they only there for a short time.

bigwheel
dallas USER_AVATAR
Dallas
Rustler

Postby Dallas » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:29 pm

That's a nice story there Bigwheel. I'd encourage your grandson in his efforts to learn more about Germany. I was stationed there for almost three years and the people were very good to me. I really enjoyed it there but was very happy when I got home. Being overseas that long really makes you appreciate what we have here. It's too bad a lot of people take it for granted. We really are unique in the world!
Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Bill
Rustler

Postby Bill » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:14 pm

I agree with Dallas. I was there for 2 years and lived with a German family for 1-1/2 of it. Actually, I moved in with the daughter and she was living at home. She, her older brother (my age) and several other Germans from neighboring communities and I party'd like there was no tomorrow. Along the way, they taught me German, took me almost everywhere they went and pretty much made me part of their family. I had meals with them as if I was their son and I still think of them as my 2nd set of parents. I am, however, still kicking myself in the tail for not spending more time touring the country and the rest of Europe ~ With my work schedule, I certianly had the time. I feel like I came away with much more than the average G.I but if I hadn't party'd so much, I could have come away with so much more. So yes ~ Do encourage him to learn as much as he can. I didn't and I'm still paying the price.

Bill

Return to “General Discussion”