Somethings wrong here.......

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

ddog27 USER_AVATAR
ddog27
Rustler

Somethings wrong here.......

Postby ddog27 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:10 pm

There is something that has been bothering me. I stopped by Chili’s a few nights ago to get some take out for my family. As I stood there waiting for my order, I noticed that the waiters and waitresses were bringing out plate after plate of ribs. Now in my opinion Chili’s ribs are not that good. So what has been bothering me is why would people go to Chili’s for ribs and people who have a BBQ joint where they serve real low and slow cooked BBQ ribs, struggle to find customers? Something about that seems so wrong. What do you think?
D-dog's BBQ Rubs, It's better than ketchup!

http://ddogsbbq.com

http://www.myspace.com/ddogsbbq
desi
Rustler

Postby desi » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:27 pm

i think Chilli's food sux in general, and i would never buy ribs there, or from any other food chain for that matter. we have a fairly new "Bbq" joint near us and some folks say it real good, but folks that have had my Q, said it was just ok. i have a hard time eating out anywhere, cause we can do a better job at home.
OINK!
gator USER_AVATAR
Gator
Sheriff

Postby Gator » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:14 pm

D-Dog,

All I can say is...those folks chomping down on Chilis ribs either dont know or dont care about the difference. They are eating baked ribs with BBQ sauce on top, not BBQ Ribs.

In my experienece, people confuse "tenderness" and "taste" on ribs. Baking makes it easy for Chilis to deliver a nice tender plate of ribs everytime. Maybe they are unaware that it's possible to get both tenderness and taste!

:soap:
Gator

"I won't tolerate rude behavior" - Woodrow F Call
big mike USER_AVATAR
Big Mike
Cowboy

Postby Big Mike » Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:30 pm

ADVERTISING!!!!!

Chilis has a huge advertising budget to constantly put their product in front of you.

Whereas a good bbq joint is usually a small mom and pop type establishment who cannot afford TV air time or radio time to constantly pound you with songs and pics of their product. They have to rely on word of mouth.

Word of mouth advertising is great, but it still cannot stand up to TV and Radio.
Mike

Eagle River BBQ
3970010 USER_AVATAR
Wrangler

Postby 3970010 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:11 pm

I will be honest for a moment here. I have only recently know what good BBQ is. I used to be one of those guys who loved Chili's baby back ribs. Unless you get exposed to good Q you just never know the difference. When we are at a competition, I bet that the guy whose Q comes up dead last is still better than most BBQ joints.
steercrazy USER_AVATAR
SteerCrazy
Retired Lawman

Postby SteerCrazy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:19 am

I just got a Little Caesar's Pizza ad in the mail and they are now serving riblet type ribs things :shock: Hows that sound combined with pizza :scratch:
mel USER_AVATAR
mel
Bandolero

Postby mel » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:16 am

it is a fast food age every thing is fast fast and that anteven fastanuff :shock: even if we go out to enjoy ourselfs for a little recoup time it is, isent our food here yet :?: :!: how long does it take :?: :!: I'm sure you have heared it if not said it :oops: and thear are A LOT of people who dont know what a real rib should be :? or dont know thay can get a real rib just down the street at that "greasy jont" :o which buy the way is where most of the good food comes frome :) just cuz mom and pop prefur to put there money into the food and not into all fancy stuff the biger joints have.
But good news frome my prospective (the Grill cover biz) it lookes like the backyard grills/smokers are on a comeback :D with the prices of going out to eat being what thay are to feed a famly :cry: most are fineding it cheaper to stay at home and get to know there famles onceagain :lol: . so maybe high price fast food is not such a bad thing :P
just my 2c. :dont:
MELs We have you covered
www.mels-bbq-covers.com
made in the USA

1-800-569-3592
datsbbq USER_AVATAR
DATsBBQ
Deputy

Postby DATsBBQ » Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:35 pm

Big Mike wrote:ADVERTISING!!!!!

Chilis has a huge advertising budget to constantly put their product in front of you.

Whereas a good bbq joint is usually a small mom and pop type establishment who cannot afford TV air time or radio time to constantly pound you with songs and pics of their product. They have to rely on word of mouth.

Word of mouth advertising is great, but it still cannot stand up to TV and Radio.

Big Mike hit the nail on the head. Now back to trying to get all my hitech gizmos to play with each other :D
Deputy Dave

“A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Return to “General Discussion”