Snake

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Snake

Postby Rambo » Wed May 01, 2024 6:22 pm

I’m very afraid of snakes. I went to feed the horses, gather the eggs, and lock up for the night.when I opened the outside door I stepped on him. Didn’t bite me and I went back and got a Hoe and cut his head off; I’m pretty shook up but everything is good
Attachments
8613AA81-A7C5-4B03-AE89-BAC5168B4A6D.jpeg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Snake

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed May 01, 2024 6:46 pm

Praise the Lord, Neighbor, I"ve been close but I've never stepped on one - - - your Heart must be in good shape :tup: :wav: :salut: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed May 01, 2024 7:21 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Praise the Lord, Neighbor, I"ve been close but I've never stepped on one - - - your Heart must be in good shape :tup: :wav: :salut: :cheers:

It shook me up pretty bad
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Wed May 01, 2024 11:45 pm

Cant tell for sure with his head mashed but looks like a cottonmouth, recently ate something, can see the bulge. Dirty mud color and knobby scales is right for them. Don’t like ‘em. They have poor eyesight in my experience and a nasty disposition. Stepped on one down in the sloughs back in high school while hunting during a flood, and didn’t even know until he started slapping my rubber boots with his tail. Things got fairly western after that.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 02, 2024 9:40 am

I thought Water Moccassin also, Boots - - - they also can put off a odor when disturbed.
The closest that I've ever came was when I was running the transit for a Surveyor and we took a break in the Woods.
There was an Oak Tree that had elevated roots that were above the ground about 2 feet hight and then back into the ground.
They made a perfect Chair for me and when I sat down on them, I smelled "the oder" and looked down below me.
YIKES there was a Huge Stumped Tailed Cottonmouth coiled there. I probably broke a record of how high one can
jump straight up while sitting down :lol: :D :laughing7: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Thu May 02, 2024 10:48 am

Yikes.

I used to catch and keep harmless snakes. Venomous? No way. Where we live there are no native deadly snakes, unless the idiots who keep cobras as pets managed to set them loose.
Moink!
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu May 02, 2024 10:48 am

I feel you Rambo. Hate the darn things and kill every one I see. Had a dying willow on the property when we first moved in. Buddy brought out his chainsaw, cut off a bowed, hollowed out limb. I went to roll it up for another cut. Stuck my hand in the in, he went to cutting and it fell apart. Two cottonmouths in there breeding. Mister Model 12 relieved them both of their heads in one round. Been here 25 years and have killed at least 1 a year. Some years as many as 5. Some were rat snakes but I don’t bother to inspect too closely till they’re dead.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu May 02, 2024 11:54 am

That’s a Scary Story GTR
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu May 02, 2024 3:33 pm

YIKES - - that's a scarey one, GTR - - - I hat those copperheads mainly because they seem to sneak up on you somehow - - - it's like they're camoflauged - - - When Hurricane Allisa came thru SE Texas it flooded everything that wasn't on the hill where the house was Soooooooo guess where the snakes went for shelter ??? :whiteflag: :whiteflag:
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu May 02, 2024 3:59 pm

We got a few copperheads in the area. Neighbor kid has seen a couple fishing the ponds behind us. His dad killed one in the backyard last summer. But I’ve seen all kinds of wildlife out here. Deer, rabbits, squirrels, snakes, coyotes and a bobcat. It was a little too comfortable around humans, no instinct to run. He got peppered with the Model 12 the second time. Hasn’t been back.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Thu May 02, 2024 7:21 pm

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Yikes.

I used to catch and keep harmless snakes. Venomous? No way. Where we live there are no native deadly snakes, unless the idiots who keep cobras as pets managed to set them loose.

Yeah, when we lived in IL way back in the day, I used to pick up snakes all the time.
Moved to TX, no thank you. People see copperheads in our neighborhood regularly.
My dog picked up a baby rat snake a couple months ago. That’s not something I advertise to my wife.

It’s illegal to kill snakes in some states :shock: :roll:
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu May 02, 2024 7:35 pm

bowhnter wrote:
Sailor Kenshin wrote:Yikes.

Yeah, when we lived in IL way back in the day, I used to pick up snakes all the time.
Moved to TX, no thank you. People see copperheads in our neighborhood regularly.
My dog picked up a baby rat snake a couple months ago. That’s not something I advertise to my wife.

They can kiss my Butt, I’m killing every one I see
1moreford USER_AVATAR
1MoreFord
Rustler

Postby 1MoreFord » Fri May 03, 2024 12:30 pm

bowhnter wrote:
Sailor Kenshin wrote:................................................

We've got that problem here in Arkieville. :banghead: :angryfire:
Joe

Falcon MKV Gas Grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn now gone, CharGriller Akorn, Camp Chef 24SG, and Weber 22" OTG
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri May 03, 2024 12:52 pm

1MoreFord wrote:
bowhnter wrote:
Sailor Kenshin wrote:................................................

We've got that problem here in Arkieville. :banghead: :angryfire:

Timber Rattler’s are protected in East Texas but that’s the only species I know of in my area
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri May 03, 2024 12:56 pm

Like their Cousin, the Diamond Back, which is more native to the Hill Country and South Texas, they can reach extremely large diameters and length. I’ve had a few encounters with them also while Hunting

Return to “General Discussion”