Gratefull

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Re: Gratefull

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:51 am

GRailsback wrote:
k.a.m. wrote:That is a spread Brother!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I would never leave that sushi island lol
Happy Easter everyone!!!

Kevin, I had to pass on the raw fish station. That may be the red on my neck showing, but I just can’t bring myself to do it. However, there were plenty of folks out here that do because they put a pretty good dent into it. But the crew puts in an incredible amount of work to put these holiday spreads together, from the food to the fruit carvings to the deserts it’s all greatly appreciated by me. It’s tough enough to spend the amount of time out here that we do, much less the holidays.

I hear ya brother. Without the infrastructure to keep the rig moving you all would be in a fix. The Galley crew does an amazing job from the looks of it.
As for the raw fish I have been eating the likes all my life. I had my first raw oyster on a boat with my grandfather while dredging for a sack in Big Lake Louisiana. I was around 8 or 9 years old. :D
Always remember slow and steady wins the race.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:18 am

I can do raw oysters and cold beer, and especially char grilled oysters. But I have never been able to get onboard with the raw fish deal.
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:00 pm

GRailsback wrote:I can do raw oysters and cold beer, and especially char grilled oysters. But I have never been able to get onboard with the raw fish deal.

So I am guessing Ceviche is a "Negative Ghost Rider the patterns full" :lol:
We need to get together brother its been too long.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:03 pm

CONFESSION TIME :whiteflag: :whiteflag: :whiteflag:

I HAVE NEVER TASTED OR MUCH LESS EATEN SUSHI
AND THAT"S THE TRUTH :bow: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:41 pm

I suspect if I could ever get past the mental aspect of it, it’s probably pretty good stuff. I can’t imagine that as many people as there are that eat it are all wrong.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:23 pm

GRailsback wrote:I suspect if I could ever get past the mental aspect of it, it’s probably pretty good stuff. I can’t imagine that as many people as there are that eat it are all wrong.

Same here but I just never have even tried it :dont: :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:24 pm

GRailsback wrote:I suspect if I could ever get past the mental aspect of it, it’s probably pretty good stuff. I can’t imagine that as many people as there are that eat it are all wrong.

I was in the same mindset until my wife got me to try it. Told me you already eat oysters, what’s the difference? Then I tried uni (sea urchin roe) and ell. I don’t get to eat it as much as I’d like to. My tab alone will be $75-100 with drinks. And don’t let me see steak tartare on a menu anywhere.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:46 pm

GTR wrote:

I was in the same mindset until my wife got me to try it. Told me you already eat oysters, what’s the difference? Then I tried uni (sea urchin roe) and ell. I don’t get to eat it as much as I’d like to. My tab alone will be $75-100 with drinks. And don’t let me see steak tartare on a menu anywhere.

How old were you when you tried it for the first time?
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:09 pm

30. Always ate oysters but had never ventured into sushi. Never ran in a crowd of adventurous eaters. Tex Mex, Italian, German and of course at that age and younger the buffets were always a go to.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:52 pm

Terry Bradshaw called it catfish bait
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:24 pm

Rambo wrote:Terry Bradshaw called it catfish bait

I'm a big fan of ole TB. He has lots of old girlfriends.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:33 pm

GRailsback wrote:
Rambo wrote:Terry Bradshaw called it catfish bait

I'm a big fan of ole TB. He has lots of old girlfriends.

I love him and Hal Sutton, good Ol’ Shreveport boys
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:58 pm

Best thing ever happened to Terry Bradshaw was Phil Robertson went duck hunting. Ask him, he’ll tell ya.
Ray Wylie Hubbard
k.a.m. USER_AVATAR
k.a.m.
Chuck Wagon

Postby k.a.m. » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:21 am

Rule #1 If it taste's like fish it is not fresh and I walk away.
Rule #2 Chinese buffets while are a nice fix are not a very high benchmark for sushi.
You are correct Greg a lot of folks eat it all wrong. There is proper etiquette involved in how you dip or do not dip as well as the involvement of fresh ginger and wasabi.
But I have to admit when I hit a Chinese buffet and its fresh I I go all ghetto like mixing wasabi in my soy sauce lol.

My Hybrid cooker.
Competition trailer #2.
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:17 am

k.a.m. wrote:Rule #1 If it taste's like fish it is not fresh and I walk away.
Rule #2 Chinese buffets while are a nice fix are not a very high benchmark for sushi.
You are correct Greg a lot of folks eat it all wrong. There is proper etiquette involved in how you dip or do not dip as well as the involvement of fresh ginger and wasabi.
But I have to admit when I hit a Chinese buffet and its fresh I I go all ghetto like mixing wasabi in my soy sauce lol.

I guess what I meant, is as many people in the world that eat sushi, they can't all be wrong. I wouldn't know if people were eating it right or not. I do go to a real busy and popular chinese place at Grant Rd and 249, and they seem to go through a lot of it. But as always I keep my distance.

Yes, we should get together when you come to town. You doing the VFW cookoff again this year?

Return to “General Discussion”