Weather Check In

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Weather Check In

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:48 pm

I have a litter bucket outside that was empty before the rain set in, however, it is full and overflowing as of this morning :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:20 pm

Just watched the local TV and he said it might stop by tomorrow afternoon. I’m thankful the temperatures have been in the high 50’s: if this had been last week it would have been a mess
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:46 pm

The SUN is about as BEAUTIFUL as it could POSSIBLY BE TODAY :bow: :tup: :wav: :texas:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:23 pm

Well, another miserable night in East Texas. Started drizzling about 5 and now a steady light rain. I’m sick of this crap
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:12 pm

Yep, raining up here again too.
I gotta load up the fifth wheel tomorrow so I hope it quit by morning.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:03 am

Good Luck and Be Safe :tup: :salut:
Norway joe2
Pilgrim

Postby Norway joe2 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:54 pm

Another round of bad weather. A lot of wind here, around 59 mph last 24 hours at our place and temp below freezing point. That makes it cold.

People along the coast a bit further north are struggling. Wind at sustained speed of 125 mph the last night and temperatures below freezing point. That heavy wind has never been recorded in Norway before! We have no tornadoes or such but can still have heavy wind.

Waves i north sea and the Norwegian sea along the coasthave waves as big as 20 meters or almost 22 yards, but that is not uncommon. The north sea and Norwegian sea are known for having the biggest waves in the world. Some years ago an oil rig was struck by a wave almost 28 yards tall.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:12 pm

Norway joe2 wrote:Another round of bad weather. A lot of wind here, around 59 mph last 24 hours at our place and temp below freezing point. That makes it cold.

People along the coast a bit further north are struggling. Wind at sustained speed of 125 mph the last night and temperatures below freezing point. That heavy wind has never been recorded in Norway before! We have no tornadoes or such but can still have heavy wind.

Waves i north sea and the Norwegian sea along the coasthave waves as big as 20 meters or almost 22 yards, but that is not uncommon. The north sea and Norwegian sea are known for having the biggest waves in the world. Some years ago an oil rig was struck by a wave almost 28 yards tall.

I have heard stories about the north sea and how rough it can get...
I wish I could say I understand about that kind of cold and wind... the problem is I cant, the coldest I have seen was on a west Texas mountain one night and my pocket thermometer said -2 the wind was howling probably twenty to 30 miles per hour, So I cant begin to comprehend what you are describing. People that endure that kind of weather must be a whole lot tougher than me :whiteflag:
by contrast today near Austin Texas we had a low of about 45 and a high of 74 degrees Fahrenheit
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:20 pm

Those are some big waves, Joe.
What about summer, do you have surfers there?
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:54 pm

28 ' waves possible on a Drilling Rig - - - - that would take away any Sleep - Rest - or ANYTHING ?similar for this old boy :whiteflag: :deadhorse: :banghead:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:59 pm

That’s stupid; you need to move to Texas
Norway joe2
Pilgrim

Postby Norway joe2 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:08 am

Spactrucker: the conditions you describe is cold so no reason to talk that down. Those conditions can be tough.

Bowhnter: there are some surfers during the summer on the west coast. Water is cold there during the summer too but there is one popular surf beach.

Rambo: this is why we appreciate all of the 4 seasons, but also why we love the spring and summer so much. Strange thing is that when the autumn comes we love the crisp fresh air and look forward to the winter. Maybe it's due to only short term memory.

Had another round of wind around 67 mph Friday. Saturday morning was sunshine no wind. Thought about going a cross-country skitrip, but within 10 minutes the wind picked up to around 67 mph again, snow and zero visibility so glad we didn't. Today no wind, sunshine and 36 fahrenheit. Felt like spring, but down to 3 fahrenheit and more snow from Tuesday.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Feb 04, 2024 5:39 pm

I appreciate that Joe but I’d still move :salut: :laughing7:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:21 pm

When you mentioned Visibility or the lack of from a Snow Storm it reminds me of my almost "mistake" when we lived in Colorado. We had broken down and I ?started? to walk for Help in the middle of a blinding Snow Storm but I remembered what the "Natives" had told me when we first moved there. I was going to cut across too and not stay on the Road because it was closer and shorter. :whiteflag:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:03 am

Been in a whiteout once, last run of the coming down from on top at Alta in Utah. Wind got gusty about 25-30 and numerous times I couldn’t see my hand in front of my face (literally). Like driving a car with a grocery sack over yer head. Luckily most people who were not idiots like me had already gone down to hit the 19th Hole and lubricate, so there weren’t many people to run into. Managed to stay in the fairway and creep down, but once got out in the rough, buried the tip of a ski in the deep and did a headplant in the powder. Ended up buried up to the hips, but managed to somehow dig myself out before sufficated (was real deep, Alta gets about 350 inches a year). Then had to find and dig out the buried ski, lucky I had powder cords on. To add insult, it was too deep to even try to walk out, had to lay down and roll back to the fairway like a rolling pin. So much for my dignity, pride don’t pay the bill when the chips are down.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."

Return to “General Discussion”