A little walk in the forest

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

A little walk in the forest

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:49 pm

We have a little forest just 200 yards from our house. We usually use it for a couple of hours of walk when we're home in the weekends. It's a beautiful and quiet place. We rarely see people there, even if parts of jt belongs to Oslo.

A lot of history around in there. Parts of the trails we use are dated back to year 500. Trails was used by pilgrims walking from Oslo to Trondheim which was the capital up to year 1300.

There are also remnants from WWII when resistance held place here from 1940. Cabins, where they radioed England for orders and held contact with the government in exile and planned raids.

From earlier days there were ski jump hills but they were dismantled in the 1970's. People had to take the bus from downtown, go cross country skiing for 4-5 kilometers before they could take on the ski jump ski's. A few years ago sherpa's from Nepal built a nice stone stair where the ski jump hill was. From the top of the stairs you can see downtown Oslo and the fjord.

At this place there is a little Cafe where you can get coffee and waffles in the weekends.

An interesting thing is the rocks that we pass on the trail. In one the pictures, you can see the scars in the rock from the ice ace sliding across the land. The entire country was covered with ice up to 3000 yards thick.

Here are a few pictures from the area.
20231015_125410.jpg
20231015_130403.jpg
20231008_113827.jpg
20231015_125405.jpg
20231015_125651.jpg
20231015_125701.jpg
20231015_123308.jpg
20231015_123730.jpg
20231015_123207.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
GTR
Bandolero

Re: A little walk in the forest

Postby GTR » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:10 pm

Beautiful as always. While I don’t speak Norwegian, I got a kick out of “skihopper”. Certainly a great place to unwind and recharge.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:16 pm

Great Pics, Chuck Wagon Joe - - - they remind me of when my Family and I were Living in The Rocky Mtns of Colorado. Oddly enuff there was a Ski Jump Practice Jump about 4 blocks from our Apartment where the High School Ski Team would practice. I told my Sons that if I ever caught them on that Jump, they wouldn't be able to sit down for a week . :laughing7: Of course I didn' let them know that I took my Skis down there a couple of times just to find out what it was like. They were just downhill skis so I didn't get the full effect of the lift off at the end. Thank GOd :laughing7: :shock: :roll:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:17 pm

there's also a pretty decent slope on that trail :shock: :roll: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:29 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Great Pics, Chuck Wagon Joe - - - they remind me of when my Family and I were Living in The Rocky Mtns of Colorado. Oddly enuff there was a Ski Jump Practice Jump about 4 blocks from our Apartment where the High School Ski Team would practice. I told my Sons that if I ever caught them on that Jump, they wouldn't be able to sit down for a week . :laughing7: Of course I didn' let them know that I took my Skis down there a couple of times just to find out what it was like. They were just downhill skis so I didn't get the full effect of the lift off at the end. Thank GOd :laughing7: :shock: :roll:
Haha. Why wasn't I surprised you had to try. The people doing ski jumping are crazy. Especially when jumping in these insane big hills where they jump up to 270 yards!

sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:03 pm

Just beauuuutiful! I really appreciate these travelogues, Joe.
Moink!
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:54 pm

Good pictures. When we went to Italy and England, I wish we would have visited the country sides and off the beaten paths.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:01 am

Sailor Kenshin wrote:Just beauuuutiful! I really appreciate these travelogues, Joe.
Thanks. Haven't been so many this year.

norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:04 am

bowhnter wrote:Good pictures. When we went to Italy and England, I wish we would have visited the country sides and off the beaten paths.
Thanks. A lot of beautiful places in Italy and England. Italy is my European favorite. Great scenery, awesome food. The best ice-cream. And all the old history.

spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:26 am

great pictures, and narration about the history of the area. I always like your posts. :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:19 pm

spacetrucker wrote:great pictures, and narration about the history of the area. I always like your posts. :salut:
Thank you

Return to “General Discussion”