2023 Garden Thread

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Re: 2023 Garden Thread

Postby GRailsback » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:22 pm

Alright you garden guys. What is this growing in my yard?

IMG_0586.jpeg
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:17 pm

:dont:
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:08 pm

GRailsback wrote:Alright you garden guys. What is this growing in my yard?

IMG_0586.jpeg

Searched around looks like Doveweed from what I found. If it develops purple blooms that’s it.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:30 pm

GTR wrote:
GRailsback wrote:Alright you garden guys. What is this growing in my yard?

IMG_0586.jpeg

Searched around looks like Doveweed from what I found. If it develops purple blooms that’s it.

Did it say what to do to kill it?
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:12 pm

If a round centralized pattern, crabgrass. If an irregular, kinda zig zag pattern, barnyard grass. Several options depending on yer synthetic sensibilities: 1) Pasture Pro from Tractor Supply, a commercially produced herbicide for broadleaf that will not necessarily kill bermuda and reasonably effective, 2) Spot spray with straight 30% or higher vinegar, organic but mean as a scalded cat, and pretty good on fire ants too but won’t kill the mound, 3) Halo, a commercial organic product as a spot drench, or 4) a speed shovel after a short rain. By the way, 30% or higher concentration vinegar can kind of burn things like yer skin or the paint off a ‘63 Oldsmobile. Fair warning.

Now as i sit here thinking about it, not to hijack the thread but garden related, a quarter cup of gasoline per mound is pretty effective on fire ants too; vapor is heavier than air as I recall from high school science class so it settles down in the mound tunnels in about 10 minutes and seems to suffocate them (ants gotta breathe like the rest of us I think. And if yer a perfectionist and want to be 100% certain at that point, you can toss a match or burning stick on the mound (from a goodly distance and upwind) and really enjoy eradicating them. Worked great for me the day I got bit 20 times (scouts honor), I felt much better after frying them Kentucky chicken crisp though the wife was curious as to why fire was shooting out of the ground. Told her it was swamp gas leaching up from the creek - she doesn’t believe anything I say anyway. One thing though, keeping any cats away during said process is a good idea, unless they belong to yer mother in law of course.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:26 pm

Boots wrote:If a round centralized pattern, crabgrass. If an irregular, kinda zig zag pattern, barnyard grass. Several options depending on yer synthetic sensibilities: 1) Pasture Pro from Tractor Supply, a commercially produced herbicide for broadleaf that will not necessarily kill bermuda and reasonably effective, 2) Spot spray with straight 30% or higher vinegar, organic but mean as a scalded cat, and pretty good on fire ants too but won’t kill the mound, 3) Halo, a commercial organic product as a spot drench, or 4) a speed shovel after a short rain. By the way, 30% or higher concentration vinegar can kind of burn things like yer skin or the paint off a ‘63 Oldsmobile. Fair warning.

Now as i sit here thinking about it, not to hijack the thread but garden related, a quarter cup of gasoline per mound is pretty effective on fire ants too; vapor is heavier than air as I recall from high school science class so it settles down in the mound tunnels in about 10 minutes and seems to suffocate them (ants gotta breathe like the rest of us I think. And if yer a perfectionist and want to be 100% certain at that point, you can toss a match or burning stick on the mound (from a goodly distance and upwind) and really enjoy eradicating them. Worked great for me the day I got bit 20 times (scouts honor), I felt much better after frying them Kentucky chicken crisp though the wife was curious as to why fire was shooting out of the ground. Told her it was swamp gas leaching up from the creek - she doesn’t believe anything I say anyway. One thing though, keeping any cats away during said process is a good idea, unless they belong to yer mother in law of course.

As always Boots, appreciate the insight, and I will weigh the options. But since you brought up the cats, unfortunately we have a neighbor across the street I found out is hoarding them. They have been a problem for some time now, but I now know where it originates. So perhaps all aspects of this sound advice will be under serious consideration.
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:29 pm

onlyst person I ever heard talk about a "scalded cat" was an ole, no longer with us, Texas game warden.... ya made me snicker... ;) at the thought of it...
not to hijack but he is was the same game warden that a bunch of kids "to include present company" decided to have some fun with and attached lit cigarettes to fire crackers so as to have a "time delay prior to noise being created. A note to the wise, do not be in vicinity of responding law enforcement personnel when described pranks come into play otherwise one may get implemented in the surveillance and apprehension of perpetrators or have a most difficult time keeping a straight face... :salut:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:58 pm

LOL ST
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:01 pm

Cant stomach people hoarding animals, have a real thing about not caring for them once people take responsibility. That said, after the neighbors fleabag spoiled dog reached over the top of a 5 foot fence and bit me in the shoulder one time, it was all bets off. I religiously carried a 2 pound sledge on the mower after that. Almost sent that worthless hound to the boneyard once, missed by just about a 1/2. Still perturbed about it. Thankfully after I irritated him sufficiently the neighbor moved off and get a new neighbor with 4 happy and healthy hounds. We get along great.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:34 pm

good deal, Boots, living next to "cantankerous Neighbors" is not something I could do - - - I'm sure that one of us would have to move or face jail time :whiteflag:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
bowhnter USER_AVATAR
bowhnter
Chuck Wagon

Postby bowhnter » Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:02 pm

73* this morning!

Got out and pruned the tomatoes, squash, got the cucumbers up on a trellis, fertilizer down. Maybe I’ll seem some improvement over the next week.

My peppers are useless. Small and tasteless.
Mike

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber 26”, 22”, and Jumbo Joe
Weber Genesis
Ooni Pro Pizza oven
Blackstone 22 and 36
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:00 pm

bowhnter wrote:73* this morning!

Got out and pruned the tomatoes, squash, got the cucumbers up on a trellis, fertilizer down. Maybe I’ll seem some improvement over the next week.

Too hot now here; everything dying
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:17 am

My Oldest Son and his Wife took their Grandson to Sea World and the sites around San Antonio this weekend. :angryfire: :angryfire: When I spoke with him yesterday afternoon, he said the heat was Horrible but they managed to endure it. They did manage to enjoy Sea World, The Alamo, The River Walk and are going to The Caverns and The Wildlife Refuge this morning and then home. He said that it was 109 when they were at Sea World :shock: :shock: :shock:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
sailor kenshin USER_AVATAR
Sailor Kenshin
Chuck Wagon

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:50 am

After slaughtering the aphids, we have hope. Couple of tomatoes are ripening, but two or three got blossom end rot. Seems that there is always SOMETHING with 'maters.
Moink!
bobcat1 USER_AVATAR
bobcat1
Outlaw

Postby bobcat1 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:07 pm

Rambo wrote:
bowhnter wrote:73* this morning!

Too hot now here; everything dying

Here too. I keep watering hoping for the best.. Tomatoes are small and peppers aren't flowering. They started good... No peppers to can or make jelly out of this year.

Return to “General Discussion”