Annual Trip

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: Annual Trip

Postby OldUsedParts » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:57 pm

:tup: that country looks like the country in Dumas, Arkansas where Sherry grew up - - - - do they raise any cotton there or is it all corn and feed crops????
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:03 pm

Awesome
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:38 am

good farm land
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:37 am

OldUsedParts wrote::tup: that country looks like the country in Dumas, Arkansas where Sherry grew up - - - - do they raise any cotton there or is it all corn and feed crops????

Corn and soybeans. Cattle and hogs. They are in the fields combining beans now, corn isn’t quite ready yet, needs to dry down a little.

I’ll depart here shortly for the western side of the state to see an old friend of my dads. They joined the Navy together on the buddy plan in 1950. From there we will make our way to Colorado.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:46 pm

Have a Safe Trip and BTW - - where bouts y'all be goin to in Colorado ???
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
spacetrucker USER_AVATAR
spacetrucker
Chuck Wagon

Postby spacetrucker » Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:14 pm

GRailsback wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote::tup: that country looks like the country in Dumas, Arkansas where Sherry grew up - - - - do they raise any cotton there or is it all corn and feed crops????

I’ll depart here shortly for the western side of the state to see an old friend of my dads. They joined the Navy together on the buddy plan in 1950. From there we will make our way to Colorado.

the buddy plan, there was 5 of us fresh out of high school going to go through basic together, long story short 4 of us did not make it....
the fifth guy is retired and running his how business now... somehow, he continued to stay friends with the rest of us :whiteflag:
Don't count every day, Make every day Count
Good Cue to ya..
Vernon

FEC-100
Webber kettle 22"
Webber genesis
Blackstone pizza oven
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:33 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Have a Safe Trip and BTW - - where bouts y'all be goin to in Colorado ???

Colorado Springs and Pagosa Springs. But I am going to drop south out of Colorado Springs and come into Pagosa Speings from the south and avoid Wolf Creek Pass.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:56 pm

So you're planning on going down into New Mexico and then up thru Chama to Pagosa Springs???
I guess Y'all have done the Royal Gorge and all that tourista stuff, eh??
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:28 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:So you're planning on going down into New Mexico and then up thru Chama to Pagosa Springs???
I guess Y'all have done the Royal Gorge and all that tourista stuff, eh??

Yes, it’s a little out of the way, if I was alone I would just cross wolf creek pass. But with the warden in the passenger seat I just don’t think it’s worth it. I have never spent any time in Colorado. I have a cousin in Colorado Springs, and some friends in Pagosa that retired up there out of Houston.
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:35 pm

I lived in Summit County at Frisco for almost 5 years. Married with two boys at the age of 27 and I wouldn't take anything for that time BUT I wouldn't go back either. We were at 10,000' elev and it can be hard on you. There's no way I could function there at 81. :whiteflag: Lots of beautiful places to see all over the state and some great hunting and trout fishing also. :tup:

I remember sitting in the Truck and listening to the Radio while waiting on a customer to get to the Job and hearing this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9kNzIRkU1M

I swear it was like John Denver was looking inside me and reading my mind. :tup:
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:02 pm

Uncle Albert

D716C26D-A16B-414C-88AF-013CBF5CA5C7.jpeg
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:52 pm

Safe travels Greg. Nice job on the Sooners today. No offense to the Schooner clan intended; they had the meaty end of the bone for several years, had to turn sometime.

Northern New Mexico / SW Colorado is a stomping ground of mine. If time serves, highly recommend the treck west out of Pagosa to Durango then north to Ouray, a beautiful and largely unspoiled little town sitting in the base of a big round canyon. Gorgeous country out there, Silverton too (Handlebars Saloon is an icon and a world class green chili cheeseburger). Ouray, I recommend the bar on the hotel rooftop in the middle of town; several top notch cafes. The narrow gauge train runs an out and back from Durango to Silverton following the Animas River gorges. Great open window ride and drop dead beautiful scenery. Aspens May be turning gold by now. Lots of John Wayne traces in Ouray and Ridgway too; they shot much of True Grit around there. You get daring, I highly recommend renting a full on Rubicon from Jeep Ouray and rock hopping the road up to Yankee Boy Basin, just below Mt Sneffels. If one has the lungs for it (@ 12,000), the hike up to the saddle overlooking the Blue Lakes is spectacular. Like standing on top of the world. If I had cashed in my chips after hiking up top, it woulda been worth it… short commuter flight to Heaven from there. And actually possible since hiking at altitude is like climbing stairs toting a refrigerator on yer back, Parts is right.

On the way back to the Coastal Bend, a couple of very strong recommendations: The Pink Adobe in Santa Fe (old school and phenomenal real New Mexico chow and unmatched margaritas), and El Pinto in Rio Rancho just north of Albuquerque. Both are literally institutions and in the I-could-eat-my-last-meal-there category.

Be well Brother, see you “down the road”. - Boots
Attachments
B4100AB4-839A-489C-A112-ABDAE7E4F091.jpeg
DF6C7C45-2242-4DA3-B73C-036AED90E1AD.jpeg
66D3E11D-8AD8-4FCA-B34F-E4B8B60512E2.jpeg
F82C4F93-324C-4123-A7D4-B3CC8AD4623E.jpeg
27CFD6D1-6FF0-46F5-B375-8E338F548337.jpeg
E7DBB3BF-D00F-4D76-B23A-4DF9F470A511.jpeg
9343ED4C-2487-4BD3-A060-9B61B25A18FD.jpeg
F82DE1AD-CB06-4684-9B89-C4FFCEB333C5.jpeg
7858ECDA-D8D2-4185-94FC-064522756B14.jpeg
00E6F847-BD71-47D2-982D-25DC4DAEC6ED.jpeg
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:37 am

10-4 on Silverton and Ouray - - - been on a many trip through there - - - ?John Wayne? - - I'm thinking that the Court Yard Hanging Scene in "True Grit" was filmed there?????? Great Pics, Boots :tup:
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:40 am

parts of the courthouse saying were filmed in and outside the Ouray courthouse. And the scene of John Wayne being chased by Maddie were filmed in Ridgeway. There is a restaurant in Ridgeway today that incorporates one of the walls where the advertisement was painted. And then there were various outdoor scenes in the nearby area.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
grailsback USER_AVATAR
GRailsback
Chuck Wagon

Postby GRailsback » Sun Oct 09, 2022 11:25 am

Boots wrote:parts of the courthouse saying were filmed in and outside the Ouray courthouse. And the scene of John Wayne being chased by Maddie were filmed in Ridgeway. There is a restaurant in Ridgeway today that incorporates one of the walls where the advertisement was painted. And then there were various outdoor scenes in the nearby area.

Boots thanks for the tips. Not sure what plans our friends have lined up but I am a big fan of saloon’s. The warden likes to go on daily death marches, so I will leave that part to her. I have never spent any time in Colorado and looking forward to it. We will also be coming home through New Mexico so may keep those tips in mind as well.

Return to “General Discussion”