Transporting a Thanksgiving Turkey - - -SAFELY

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Transporting a Thanksgiving Turkey - - -SAFELY

Postby OldUsedParts » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:28 am

Hey Gang, I'm wanting to fix the T-day Bird for Sherry's Family Get together on Thanksgiving but I'll have to fix it ahead of time and then reheat it when we gather in Houston Thanksgiving Day.

I've always been warned about pre-cooking and transporting Poultry so I need some SAFE Suggestions.

THANKS
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Re: Transporting a Thanksgiving Turkey - - -SAFELY

Postby Rambo » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:49 am

You’ve got a pellet grill; smoke it overnight, pull it before you go; put it in a big aluminum pan super sealed off with heavy aluminum foil, and Hook’em; it will stay warm for hours
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:27 am

Rambo’s plan works. Wrap it in towels and also preheat the cooler with some really hot water for an hour or so before you need it. Redneck Cambro

I have a similar issue but different since I have to work the day before and don’t want to feed the stick burner all night before we drive to duncanville. So I’m going to smoke mine the weekend before, slice, vac seal and the reheat with my immersion circulator (sous vide) on Thanksgiving Day at my aunts house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:50 am

Sounds like a winner, HOWEVER, I can't do the Bird the night before because of location.

I may do a Ham instead of a Turkey and call it good. :dont:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:40 am

What time are you leaving the house? What time are you arriving at your destination?
bsooner75 USER_AVATAR
bsooner75
High Plains Smoker

Postby bsooner75 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:41 am

I have reheated a Turkey in the oven before. Left it while and on the pan with all the butter and juices. Cooked just shy of done and then finished in the oven the next day. I don’t remember times and temps though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:01 am

Rambo wrote:What time are you leaving the house? What time are you arriving at your destination?

Let's just say that being able to Cook "anything" the day or night before isn't possible.

I think a Ham is what "SHE HAS DECIDED" that "I" will Fix. I got an email from Suckle Busters the other day of "their" Peach Glazed Ham so I'll need to place an order real quickly now. :scratch: :laughing7:

Return to “General Discussion”