2021 Garden Thread

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: 2021 Garden Thread

Postby OldUsedParts » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:24 pm

:salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
russ USER_AVATAR
Russ
Chuck Wagon

Postby Russ » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:04 am

5 weeks and winter is here, last summer we grew tomatoes gerkins/pickles, lettuces, spring onions, chillies by the bucket. Corn, cabbages , sprouts among others.herbs we grew basil,coriander/ cilantro plus other suspects. Our cane fruit gave me raspberry jam/jelly, coulis for ice cream, 3 batches strawberry jam/jelly for wife's scones. I will start propagating in August.

My wife's the gardener. Made chilly sauce my style, it's labelled vfhc sauce. You work it out.

How's that pardners?

Russ
4 burner q
Honky hangi
Home smoker.

It costs nothing to be nice. A smile goes a long way.
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:26 am

Very cool Russ. We’ve cut back our canning. I’ll make some pickles, squash relish, jelly, and Smoked Salsa and that’s about it. I might put up some peas but I’ll Blanch and bag those if I do
boots USER_AVATAR
Boots
Wordsmith

Postby Boots » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:37 am

Tomatoes, potatoes, spinach, romaine, peppers, strawberries (new this year), and cucumbers. And the asparagus is finally putting after 3 years, eating all that we can. My Spanish Grape is year 2 and looking good, can only hope we get decent bee activity. Bee and butterfly action is way down over past several years despite our keeping about 20 different feeder plants around the house. We decent populations of bumbles around (I love those guys they just make me laugh) but honey bees are very scarce. Too much dern pesticides in use in the nearby towns. I’ve threatened to have a bee box brought in, this may be the year. Contemplating putting in squash but they’re such a pain because they always attract squash bugs.

We got down to 34 early Tuesday. Late and very cool this year, might be a cool summer like ‘03 again.
BE WELL, BUT NOT DONE
Hank: "Do you know how to jumpstart a man's heart with a downed power line?"
Bobby: "No."
Hank: "Well, there's really no wrong way to do it."
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:57 am

Much to discuss from your post Boots. We’ve had lettuce that made it through the ice storm; I figure your Romaine will make it until the heat. We did the asparagus for a few years and mowed it down, just too much trouble. Agreed on the bees, to much spraying. Squash is easy and I just sprinkle a little Sevin Dust on my stuff once a week or they even have a liquid spray
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:20 am

:salut:
Attachments
yellow squash and peppers .jpg
tomatoes and zuchinni.jpg
melons cukes.jpg
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:22 am

oUP, please turn the pictures over. Thanks
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:48 am

:tup:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
GTR
Bandolero

Postby GTR » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:54 am

Boots wrote:Tomatoes, potatoes, spinach, romaine, peppers, strawberries (new this year), and cucumbers. And the asparagus is finally putting after 3 years, eating all that we can. My Spanish Grape is year 2 and looking good, can only hope we get decent bee activity. Bee and butterfly action is way down over past several years despite our keeping about 20 different feeder plants around the house. We decent populations of bumbles around (I love those guys they just make me laugh) but honey bees are very scarce. Too much dern pesticides in use in the nearby towns. I’ve threatened to have a bee box brought in, this may be the year. Contemplating putting in squash but they’re such a pain because they always attract squash bugs.

We got down to 34 early Tuesday. Late and very cool this year, might be a cool summer like ‘03 again.

Bees activity around me is pretty good. Got two bee keepers within a 5 mile radius. It’s the mesquites that will carry you away. As you have threatened bee hives I’ve been wanting bat boxes. Plus a Purple Martin mansion. I really like the Martins but also have Painted Buntings, gorgeous birds.
"The days I keep my expectations low and my gratitude high, I have really good days."
Ray Wylie Hubbard
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:05 am

Rambo wrote:oUP, please turn the pictures over. Thanks

RamPic1 (2).jpg

RamPic2 (2).jpg

RamPic3 (2).jpg

I see you're fencing out the Animal Vegans, eh :?:

That's BEAUTIFUL EAST TEXAS COUNTRY, my Friend :salut: :texas:
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:14 am

Looking great. Nice to have such a good space.

I think the bee population is threatened all over the world. Same here. What has been popular here is to hang out small houses for the bees. You see them in almost every garden. You can make them your self or buy them. Lots of info on the web.Image

Sent fra min SM-G988B via Tapatalk
Instagram: Norway_joe1
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:26 am

That's cool Joe. Would you happen to know where those could be purchased?
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:45 am

OldUsedParts wrote::tup:

Thanks Emm
norway joe USER_AVATAR
Norway Joe
Chuck Wagon

Postby Norway Joe » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:25 pm

Rambo wrote:That's cool Joe. Would you happen to know where those could be purchased?
Amazon has a lot. Just search for bee house

Instagram: Norway_joe1
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:27 pm

Norway Joe wrote:
Rambo wrote:That's cool Joe. Would you happen to know where those could be purchased?
Amazon has a lot. Just search for bee house

Will do

Return to “General Discussion”