2021 Garden Thread

The weather, news and topics not related to BBQ.

Moderator: TBBQF Deputies

oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Re: 2021 Garden Thread

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun May 23, 2021 11:47 am

Not bad considering the Weather - - - I'd like some of those squashes to grill on'a stick - - - Squash K-Bobs yum yum :tup: :chef: :cheers:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Mon May 24, 2021 9:22 am

Rambo wrote:Was able to pick a little this morning. I had to throw some away that had rotted on the ends

Those look beautiful to me. :rose:
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Mon May 24, 2021 9:33 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Not bad considering the Weather - - - I'd like some of those squashes to grill on'a stick - - - Squash K-Bobs yum yum :tup: :chef: :cheers:

Squash on a stick? Never heard of that. Do you just oil it and grill, kinda like the okra pods?

I bet you're familiar with this. I found some good looking squash at the store this weekend and got a craving for the way we fixed it when I was a kid.
I sliced it and boiled it with some onions, butter and salt until tender. Then drained and added a good bit of cheese to melt. I used Kraft sliced American,
'cause that's what we had back then.
That hit the spot for me! Actually, it was beyond tender - a bit mushy - which worked out well because my mother, who just had oral surgery, took home and
enjoyed all the leftovers. :cheers:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 24, 2021 3:23 pm

OkieGal wrote:
OldUsedParts wrote:Squash on a stick? Never heard of that. Do you just oil it and grill, kinda like the okra pods?
I bet you're familiar with this. I found some good looking squash at the store this weekend and got a craving for the way we fixed it when I was a kid.
I sliced it and boiled it with some onions, butter and salt until tender. Then drained and added a good bit of cheese to melt. I used Kraft sliced American,
'cause that's what we had back then.
That hit the spot for me! Actually, it was beyond tender - a bit mushy - which worked out well because my mother, who just had oral surgery, took home and
enjoyed all the leftovers. :cheers:

OKie Mam, all Squash on a Stick is would be a Shish K-Bob. My favorite way to grill them BTW. I used to make them a lot back when I kept lots of Venison in our freezer. I would cut the Backstrap into approx1/2" cubes and then alternate with squash chunks, own-yawns, jalapeno chunks after seasoning and constant basting with Zesty Italian Dressing until done.

That receipe doesn't ring a bell but it sounds good and I may try it later. :tup: :salut:
I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country—Victory or Death. William Barret Travis - Lt. Col. comdt "The Alamo"
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Mon May 24, 2021 4:11 pm

Ah, shish kabobs - okay, gotcha. Sounds good.

I don't know that that's really a recipe - just kind of seems like we boiled almost all vegetables. :dont: EXCEPT okra - that was always fried!
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Mon May 24, 2021 5:06 pm

OkieGal wrote:Ah, shish kabobs - okay, gotcha. Sounds good.

I don't know that that's really a recipe - just kind of seems like we boiled almost all vegetables. :dont: EXCEPT okra - that was always fried!

Gotcha - - - speaking of Okra, I fried some the way my Daddy in Law used to and it's definitely our favorite fried way now. Brown bacon until halfway done, dump in sliced okra and continue frying, when they are done, season, toss in a little cornmeal and own-yawns and then fry until everything is united and done. :chef:
OkieGal
Rustler

Postby OkieGal » Tue May 25, 2021 9:06 am

OldUsedParts wrote:
OkieGal wrote:Ah, shish kabobs - okay, gotcha. Sounds good.

Gotcha - - - speaking of Okra, I fried some the way my Daddy in Law used to and it's definitely our favorite fried way now. Brown bacon until halfway done, dump in sliced okra and continue frying, when they are done, season, toss in a little cornmeal and own-yawns and then fry until everything is united and done. :chef:

Ooh, that does sound good. I'm gonna try that!
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue May 25, 2021 3:15 pm

Raining again; my tomatoes are horrible
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 25, 2021 3:30 pm

Same here, when it thundered a while ago, I thought of your garden and whether it was raining there. :whiteflag:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Tue May 25, 2021 3:42 pm

OldUsedParts wrote:Same here, when it thundered a while ago, I thought of your garden and whether it was raining there. :whiteflag:

Standing water on the Sugar Sand
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 25, 2021 3:56 pm

:banghead: :deadhorse:
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Tue May 25, 2021 3:56 pm

:banghead: :deadhorse:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sat Aug 14, 2021 8:39 pm

To say the least, it’s been an extremely difficult year gardening. The peppers and Okra are starting to do well. I’m going to pickle some tender Okra tomorrow and make some sliced Bread and Butter Jalapeños. I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with that mountain of Cayennes yet. I’m open to suggestions if anyone has an idea or recipe
Attachments
0F2A3E1E-ACBB-4677-A295-CA342A864FA6.jpeg
9336A0D6-F6A8-474D-BE27-B3E645A6E437.jpeg
7F207BE2-A6CF-43D0-A952-C54B89451351.jpeg
B27377C4-8B64-4800-97B1-85EBA83BC1AE.jpeg
oldusedparts USER_AVATAR
OldUsedParts
Deputy

Postby OldUsedParts » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:46 am

Only thing I an suggest on the cayennes, other than canning, would be a dehydrator and then grind as a seasoning maybe ? :dont:

Everything looks good, Neighbor :tup:
rambo USER_AVATAR
Rambo
Deputy

Postby Rambo » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:59 am

OldUsedParts wrote:Only thing I an suggest on the cayennes, other than canning, would be a dehydrator and then grind as a seasoning maybe ? :dont:

Everything looks good, Neighbor :tup:

I don’t have a dehydrator and the only thing I can think of for canning is just a 50/50 Distilled Water and Vinegar mix with maybe a tablespoon or 2 of canning salt

Return to “General Discussion”